Sunscreen, Who's Using What?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Cornholio, May 22, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Troy Lee sleeves with plastic elbows for every ride. Nutrogena face stick when I remember. Nutrogena spray for neck and arms when I remember. Blistex sunblock on lips every ride.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  2. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    Lips, yeah I good point no one mentioned yet. Don't forget something for the lips.

Faust29, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  3. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Sunscreen is a little uncomfortable, however, look at the options. Getting things burned/cut off is worse than being a little greasy.
    Zinc is the better option and now it's been revealed an ingredient in sunscreen, oxybenzone, is harmful to the oceans and reefs.
    My derm recommended Elta MD sunscreen which I use on face, neck, ears and Neutrogena zinc on my arms.

Faust29, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Good point...
    Not that I'm any kind of expert but I did write the article a couple years ago: http://imtbtrails.com/magazine/?p=594

5. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    We use the yellow bottle Neutrogena stuff you get in packs of two at Costco. If it's late in the day...I usually won't use it...but if it's midday or hot out...I'll spray my arms, back of my neck, ears, and use some creme on my nose.

This year at Sea Otter...I sprayed my entire head. My head is shaved so after a few hours...I get cooked...like last year...and the year before.:rolleyes:

6. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Neutrogena! I swear it actually helps to heal the skin.

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm not too picky about what I use... But it's usually Banana Boat. I keep a tube in the garage and in the car. I've been using the sun sleeves more and more over the past year, and feel funny without them now. They keep the sun off on the hot days, feel cooler with a breeze, and also function as a light warmer if it's not cold enough for the real arm warmers. And, I didn't get poison oak on my sun sleeve covered arms, but all over my uncovered legs! :thumbsdown: Poison oak sucks.

So... For those who go the sun sleeve route, what do you think about the knee sleeves? I just ordered a pair to try.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Consumer Reports just did a sunscreen review, and the best ones were generics from Walmart's and Trader Joe's.

9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    None.

Best protection in order:
    Stay out of the sun
    Physical barrier (sleeves, hats)
    Natural pigment (tan)

The damage occurs when you burn. A person like me who tans readily but rarely burns is best protected by my bodies natural defense mechanisms. But if you go straight to burn, that won't work for you.

john_hovard, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Whatever you use, make sure not to apply on your forehead!

My go to sun sleeves:

mike, john_hovard, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. brian1031

brian1031 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Brian Clive
    I used Banana Boat Sport Performance SPF 50. I always feel like a mess when I sweat if I used a cream.

mtnbikej, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  12. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

If you are interested I wrote something about this in: PSA: Skin

Mikie likes this.
  13. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

that is a special product: Waterproof and sweatproof? So it will not rain on you when using this and more important you will not sweat either. Do you believe everything you read?

Mikie likes this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Words to live by ^^^

I gave up hoping any typical sunscreen is adequate for my fair skin. A dark-colored bandana is my tool of choice for nose and cheeks.

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    WHAT are you talking about?

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I am my own little ray of sunshine. I learned how to dodge the raindrops.

And if you always ride into the wind you won't sweat much.

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  18. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Now that the summer is coming, what does everyone use? I like coppertone sport spray, as I find the lotion makes me sweat more. But, I have a lot of sun spots damage, and the dermatologist said I should use something with zinc. Any recommendations?

19. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    I'm using coppertone also, not the spray though. I do notice I sweat more. But I feel I get lots of protection. It goes on thick. I really just use it on my face and neck. My arms too when I don't wear pads.

20. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I wear sun sleeves most of the time. https://www.rei.com/product/129032/pearl-izumi-sun-sleeves

They actually keep me cooler than going without since they absorb sweat and it has a greater cooling effect when it evaporates than it seems to when it evaporates from skin. Can also pour water on them from my camelbak, which helps too.

I wear coppertone sport on my face, neck and top of my head.

For longer and/or hotter rides I'll wear a bandana under my helmet which keeps the sun off my face. As with the sun sleeves I can soak it in cold water to help cool me down. The bandana also helps absorb more sweat so my helmet pad doesn't get saturated as quickly.

Old&InTheWay, Faust29, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A custom visor and a face shield made from a SPF t-shirt sleeve do more for me than any application. But I do also wear some kind of sunscreen along with that. Any zinc-based sports-type 50 SPF is good.

I’ve been cut on and everything else a bunch of times, including on my face, so I speak with some authority here, sadly. Rule 1: pick parents with pigment. 2: all the other stuff you hear.

MTB non-FF helmet visors are a joke. I get a 4x8’ piece of plastic wall board at Home Depot for $20 and chop to hearts content with shears. Fasten your creation to the existing visor with pop rivets or other minimalist hardware. I put one on before the AZT and it has now moved from that helmet to my next one for all trail riding. A visor isn’t just for sun. A generous visor can ward off eye damage on overgrown trails.

If you want to get serious, block the sun before it reaches your face. One day the masked-man look will be cool; right now it looks creepy but I don’t care.

Faust29, Mikie, littlewave and 6 others like this.
  22. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Let's see a picture of that custom visor!!! :D

Faust29, Mikie, Redman and 3 others like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Will post photo when I don’t have :poop: connection.

Faust29, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  24. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Alright Mike! You're having the same problem a few if us are having...:unsure:

Faust29, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Faust29, Mikie, HBkites and 6 others like this.
  26. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    +1 on the sun sleeves
    When I remember where the heck I left them last :bang:

Faust29, Mikie, HBkites and 5 others like this.
  27. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I wear sunsleeves or long sleeve every ride.

I like voler sunsleeves

Faust29, Mikie, HBkites and 5 others like this.
  28. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    I was thinking the same. Use better quality.
    I am using Sunbum and having good results.

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  29. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Last September I had a procedure done due to many pre-cancerous spots on my face from sun exposure. It was unpleasant to say the least, and I don't ever want to have to have that done again. It's some kind of cream they put on and then you sit under a heat lamp for 10 minutes to activate it. It burns. One of the few times in my life I can say the pain was close to 10/10. I can't imagine what severe burn victims go through. The procedure was effective after a couple weeks of staying away from light and heat. All the skin and blotches peeled off, and I'm much prettier now (that's not saying much...)
    20180922_101811.jpg

I lather up heavily with some sunblock stuff the doc gave me, and always wear a long sleeve sun blocking shirt. When in the sun and not on the bike I wear a wide brimmed hat. To @mike 's comments, I wish there was a way to incorporate such a wide brim on the helmet, but it would probably get in the way. (Would also love to see pics of your home made visor @mike). @Tom the Bomb has a great method for keeping it off the back of the neck too. I have sensitive eyes and the sunblock burns like hell if it gets in them, so will be watching this thread for more ideas on blocking sun before the "suntan lotion" has to work.

Faust29, Mikie, HBkites and 11 others like this.
  30. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    That sucks Dave. I do not put sunblock on my forehead as the sun rarely gets me there because the helmet covers it. Thus not dripping in the eyes. ya Mike has a very cool hand made visor. A buddy of mine is a very fair skinned red head and he uses a sunblock by Cereve. He swears by it. I use Sunblock by Neutrogena works pretty well. What did your doctor recommend ?

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?