Sunglasses....need them....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rossage, Nov 3, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Seems that in my haste to fall off a mountain I think I have permanently misplaced my Oakley Radar Path sunglasses. Since I may have lost my Oakley connection, I might have to actually pay retail *gasp* for some new shades.
    I know about the cartel that controls a lot of the sunglass manufacturing so let's not bring that up here. I just want to know what you guys are wearing and why.
    I am used to using multiple lenses for different conditions and even though I wear glasses daily, I do not ride with prescription lenses.
    I have also heard that the new generation (<3yrs) of photochromic lenses are pretty good. Any input will be helpful.

Mikie likes this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Runs with Scissors, Mikie and rossage like this.
  3. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Oakley guy since 1987... recently picked up a pair of Flak Jackets (custom built) for casual wear. I have some jawbones and split jackets i wear for cycling. I like the fire iridium lens for Colorado sunshine. I have the Sapphire iridium for my daily wear, much cooler color and contrast.

Runs with Scissors, Mikie and rossage like this.
  4. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I recently found a pair of Louis Vuitton Aviator (see in my pic to the left). They retail for $600. Total ripoff but made in Italy. Only for driving/casual.

I usually wear RayBans or something similar from costco (Puma $30). There are hydrophobic glasses as well but don't see a constant need for those (yet).

I wouldn't pay more than $100 new b/c you'll break or lose them soon...

Mikie and rossage like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    If I want some LV glasses, I'll wait for my next trip to China. They put that logo on garbage bags over there!!!!:eek:

herzalot, rojomas, doublewide and 4 others like this.
  6. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I wondered if they're real or not, it has a serial # on it. But I'm not sure how to really detect fake vs. real sunglasses. Anyways, I hope you're feeling better...

rossage and Mikie like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I had a full Bolle' sponsorship back in the day, and it was a true financial culture shock when I had to start paying for eye wear! I got tired of losing, busting, and being thieved of expensive eyewear, but will not ride without eyewear.
    My suggestion will probably be the least noted of all the options that get posted, but I buy safety bifocal glasses from my local hardware store or online that have readers at the bottom of the lens. I carry two types in my gear bag, clear and tinted. If I know the ride is going to be bright and sunny for the most part I wear my tinted pair, if in deep trees or a ride that ends in dusk I wear the clear lenses. If my bike breaks down or I actually need to see things to fix both pairs have reader lenses at the bottom like any bifocal.

Same UV protection, same impact protection (often better), they may not have the "pious" name brand on them but they often look pretty good and for $7.00 to $15.00 bucks a pair I can get several pair and toss the scratched lensed ones in the trash without a grimace, grab the next pair and not miss a beat.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bif...AcQ_AUoAmoVChMI79-i-ZH1yAIVy5yICh1apQ5l&dpr=1

safetyglassesusa.jpgsafetyglassesusa.clear.jpg

8. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I noticed on my first nite ride the other weekend, that it helps to wear clear glasses at nite in case bugs or little rocks hit your face. But the pic you posted looks pretty good. Almost as good as Tatiana the Masseuse from Siberia. [insert beer emoticon here - voila!]

Mikie likes this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Unfortunately I must wear prescription lenses. Or I might not see what I need to see.

I have Oakleys five squared. I like the wrap around style, but they cost me $450 over the insurance.

The polarization is amazing. I can wear them indoors and see just fine and there's never any glare in the light.

rossage likes this.
  10. verdugist

verdugist Guest

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Nothing wrong with that idea!
    I really like glasses that have curved arms rather than the ones that go straight back. The straight ones always get forced under my helmet and are uncomfortable after a while. The curved ones avoid this. I pretty much wear cheap Tifosi branded stuff. Works well for me.

rojomas, rossage and Mikie like this.
  12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  13. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    www.zennioptical.com

you can get prescription glasses, frame/lens/tint for $20, transition tint only $15 extra. I have VSP and don't even bother w/ Costco or Walmart (for kids) anymore, still costs more out of pocket then buying from Zenni.

I also have several pairs of polarized prescription Oakleys and still use them regularly but tired of paying hundreds out of pocket for a pair of glasses...

14. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    just bought a pair of Tifosi's with 3 different lenses on sale for under $60. 1/2 a dozen rides on them and i have no complaints. no fogging, good coverage, etc.

HBkites, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  15. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    After destroying an expensive pair of Oakley'$ I bought the same glasses. It turned out to be a good move, because I'm on my third pair. It doesn't hurt much to replace those, Oakley's, those hurt to replace.

16. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I will only buy Oakley's (and I'm thankful I have the financial stability to do so). I have prescription lenses so my options are limited (but can get them with Oakley's). However, when I crashed and got a concussion in Jan of this year, I broke off the nose guard of my sunglasses... I took them to the CS desk at Oakley HQ, and they gave me a brand new frame without cost and no questions asked. They even swapped over my prescription lenses from the old frame to the new.

I have the Pit Boss II for my sunglasses, which I bought for normal street wear prior to becoming a MTB'er - but work extremely well for riding. When I wanted a pair of clear lenses for my night riding (I was tired of wearing my street glasses), I went and got something close to these. I really like the vents in the glasses, they help keep the fogging to a minimum (it doesn't help when riding 2 mph up a hill, but if I can get any noticeable speed at all, there is no fogging).

Expensive, sure. But the quality and CS is top notch. Also, as being a 24/7 glasses wearer, I don't have the problem of losing my glasses. I've never lost a pair of sunglasses or regular glasses. So that helps - if you lose glasses regularly, then you don't get any benefit of the quality or CS :)

Mikie, rossage and Runs with Scissors like this.
  17. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
  18. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    You mean to tell me only I know where I can go find a free pair of sunglasses and a water bottle with week-old electrolyte drink? Hmmm...;)

MCB2K, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Rossage, I have Flak Jackets with clear and gold iridium polarized in half my normal prescription strength.

I'm happy with them, but the coverage is not huge around the eye, and I have a high nose bridge, so there's a pretty big space under the bottom. Which probably helps them to stay de-fogged in the cold. The small profile is good for stashing in a pocket. Oakley recently styled me on all new rubber pieces, all I did was walk in.

I'm mildly nearsighted and don't like the distortion I got with my regular glasses. After consulting with my optometrist I went half-strength and am happy I did.

20. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I wear only Oakleys. They seem to fit my face the best. I have a couple pairs of Jawbones (Racing Jacket) for riding. Also have a pair of Half Jackets. My favorite lenses are the Photochromic ones. I can wear them pretty much in any condition. From light to night. I've got lenses from black iridium to yellow.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and rossage like this.
  21. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    They went missing somewhere between the crash site and the helicopter pick up spot. Good luck finding them!

MCB2K and Mikie like this.
  22. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    Having had quite a few Oakleys I really don't get what is so special about them. I had a buddy that worked in the optics department at Oakley that would get me sets for dirt cheap. That's the only reason I ever owned a pair. I prefer the Smith PIV Lock V2. To me they are clearer and have less distortion than Oakleys. Plus, to me they just look better.
    VWMPCBOMFT.jpeg

23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    How much are your eyes worth?

I use Oakleys for riding, as the plastic ( call it any fancy name you want ) lenses don't shatter under impact. However, they do scratch so life with clear unscratched lenses is about a year or two. The type I use now are the Radar Path.
    I also have a pair of Jawbones with clear lenses , dark lenses and transition lenses. I don't particularly care for them in the dirt as the vents draw in dust, and the large arms kill my peripheral vision. I typically only wear on road rides.

I wear Maui Jims everywhere except Cycling. Maui Jims are superior due to their glass lenses. And yes they are expensive, but the last pair lasted me about 10 years until I dropped and cracked the lens. so that works out to a very reasonable cost for top tier eyewear.

I short, if I had to pay full price for Mtb Plastic lensed glasses, I would try the smith or maui sports, and "may" end up with Oakleys anyway.

Cheap glasses are just that. cheap. poor resolution, poor fit, and they don't last with a crap. You get what you pay for.....

MCB2K, herzalot, BeckTrex and 3 others like this.
  24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My Oakleys came with a really cool zippered clamshell case. Since I wear regular spectacles, I simply swap them out and whatever is not on my face stays in the case. No scratches on the sunglasses, going on two years.

MCB2K, Mikie and rossage like this.
  25. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Well put. Seems like when the time comes, and I need a new pair of sunglasses, I always end up with Oakley anyway.....

26. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have been using Spy Quantas with polarized lenses. I like the vents they have built on. Look into some Spy Alpha's with polarized lenses. Someone has them on sale and I cannot remember who.

Mikie, Danimal and rossage like this.
  27. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I strongly second the Smith Pillock V2. Great glasses! Come with several lenses, a zipper case and often can be found at good discounts.

Danmtchl, rossage and rojomas like this.
  28. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    When you take care of quality gear, it lasts for years.

No offense to anyone that is "that guy"... but if you don't treat things with care and respect, they generally don't last, no matter the quality.

29. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Off the bike I like Kaenon. Their lens are great, but their "sporty" frames don't fit me well.
    On the bike I have an old pier of Smith Pillock (that I found on the trail), and Tifosi with yellow Pototec lens.
    As a roll, on the dirt, ride with cheep sunglasses because they don't last.

I never bought Oakley for the same reason some wouldn't buy Specialized.

30. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    #1: whatever fits and you won't slide down your nose (SOOOOO AGGRAVATING)
    #2: what you want to pay for something you will probably scratch/damage if used for MTB
    I have Oakleys for bright light and a pair of Serfas that have interchangeable lenses for low light or night riding.

rossage likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?