Summer Road Trip 2019 Week 3 Ohhhhh Canada

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by luvmammoth, Oct 13, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    This is the part of the trip we were looking most forward to. After waiting in the long line to get into Canada, well two cars long, we headed straight to Whistler. When we got there in the afternoon/early evening it was pouring. I was bummed because as you all know a foggy day can shut down some OC trails. It continued to rain most of the night and I just couldn't believe we might not get to ride. I went over to one of the shops and expressed my concerns, but the guy at the shop assured me that it would be hero dirt and he was right. My wife and I aren't big park people but Whistler is incredible. We really liked B line, Crank It Up, and C'more. I never hit A line because I wasn't clearing everything on B line and just didn't want to be the guy in the way. IMG_2462.jpg IMG_2487(Edited).jpg IMG_2525(Edited).jpg IMG_2534.jpg IMG_2481.jpg IMG_2555.jpg

We only rode Whistler one day because we were anxious to get over to Vancouver Island. We wanted to ride Squamish, but it was absolutely pour again and the radar showed it keeping up most of the day. Vancouver Island was our favorite of all the locations that we rode. We started in Cumberland for a couple of days. Then we rode Mt. Tzouhalem and Hartland just outside of Victoria. Cumberland had some great wood features and great single track. Tzouhalem had great flow and the longest log roll I have ever seen, crashed off of, and finally made. Victoria was a pretty cool town and the Hartman trails were nice, but not as good as Cumberland and Tzouhalem. IMG_2569.jpg IMG_2597(Edited).jpg IMG_2621.jpg IMG_2628(Edited).jpg IMG_2661.jpg IMG_2682.jpg IMG_2634(Edited).jpg IMG_0697(2).jpg IMG_2712.jpg IMG_2753.jpg IMG_2754(Edited).jpg IMG_2759.jpg IMG_2767(Edited).jpg IMG_2748.jpg
    After our wonderful time on Vancouver Island we headed back across the boarder to make America great again by having us back. We payed for our second campsite of the entire trip, $15 in Squamish, $22 in Bellingham, and $10 to park overnight at Whistler, right next to the train tracks. Fortunately, it only came through once in the night, so no big deal. Bellingham is pretty incredible riding and a beautiful area. As with everywhere else we had been I wish we could have stayed longer, but we needed to get down to Sandy, OR to see my brother and be there for the 4th of July.
    IMG_2805(Edited).jpg IMG_2815(Edited).jpg IMG_2819.jpg IMG_2831(Edited).jpg IMG_2831(Edited).jpg IMG_2833(Edited).jpg IMG_2844.jpg

At this point we had hit all of the NEWDIRT that would hit with the exception of Bend, OR. Our final week would be Sandy, Bend, Tahoe, and Mammoth

bvader, Danimal, Sassyquatch and 17 others like this.
  2. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    GREAT STUFF!! I'm generally not a "park" guy either as I go to Summit & Skypark once a year but I do have a blast when I go. I just get bored by 2 pm. Not the case with Whistler. That place is BETTER than the hype and while I'll never be a psycho out there, I was doing laps on A-Line and having a blast. I even rented a DH bike one day but had more fun on my Tracer. There was NOTHING about Whistler didn't like...great food, unbelievable riding and the "stoke" there is off the hook. The exchange rates were obviously great as well. I can't wait to get back up there next July.

bvader, Danimal, Sassyquatch and 5 others like this.
  4. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    We were there the last day that school was in up in Canada, so there were no crowds at all. We never waited more than two minutes at the bottom. Our plan for next year is to spend at least two weeks in Whistler Squamish and on the island.I think I was the only guy on a cross-country bike that day. However the lifties loved our trail bells, they thought that was funny stuff. Obviously they have never ridden El Morro or Whiting on a weekend.

5. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing your trip!

6. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Looks like you guys were happy to ride some structures so make sure to ride "A River Runs Through It" next year in Whistler. It's a XC oriented trail you can ride to from the Village, probably 14-15 miles if you ride it all. Fun stuff!

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Whatever sure just post em all up at once and then expect us all to not be jealous...:Roflmao
    Great reports and very very well done @luvmammoth and the mrs..:thumbsup:

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Killing it!!!! You guys are setting the bar for safari action. :thumbsup:

bvader, Sassyquatch, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  9. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    How close was that bear?? Nice adventure rig too!!

10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    BC riding is next level and I can't wait to go back.
    It may not happen next summer, but 2021 is wide open.

For me (at this point) Squamish is just about the perfect second home location.
    Unfortunately, I'm not the only one who loves the idea of leaving on the water between Whistler and Vancouver.

11. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    @scan We saw bears every day we rode in the park. There was one mama bear with two cubs under the same lift every day. They were probably 50 yards off of a trail. Another day, we were zip lining across the mountain and you walked on trails to get to the zip-line launch ramps. We went right by a smaller, maybe 125lb black bear on the way to our last zip. We were probably 100 feet away. On one trail I was riding in the park that is 98% in the trees, I had a deer step on the trail out of nowhere 15’ in front of me. Luckily I wasn’t going to fast and slowed down...he just looked at me and took 2-3 steps off the trail as I went by.

12. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    That bear was a solid 40-50 yards away and had zero interest in anyone that rode by.

13. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam
    Almost T-boned a bear on Blue Velvet last summer! Scared the stuffing out of me...slammed on the brakes or would have been an extinct primate for sure!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?