Summer Road Trip 2019 Week 2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by luvmammoth, Oct 12, 2019 at 4:41 PM.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    The first week went really smooth with the exception of almost ripping the fan cover off of the top of our van at a car wash. Our favorite places after the first week were the High Desert Trails in Gallup, NM and Hartman Rocks in Gunnison, CO. After leaving CO we headed to Cody, WY. My dad was born and raised in Cody until his family moved to Compton when he was 15. Cody way simply amazing. There are some fun little trials and a skills park right when you come into town. We spent the morning riding and the afternoon and evening in town and going to the rodeo. IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg IMG_1892.jpg

The next day we headed into Yellowstone. There is nothing like a snowstorm during the last week of June. Like most of the trip, I wish we could have spent more time in Cody and Yellowstone.
    IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    After our day in Yellowstone, we were off to Copper City, MT. We were wanting to ride Bozeman (if I remember correctly) but it was snowed in and someone recommended this place. Again, as with almost every place we went, this place was perfect. IMG_2164(Edited).jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2185(Edited).jpg

After Montana it was off to Idaho. We had a little trouble find a place to park and ride in Coeur d'Alene. Fortunately, we ran into a couple of really nice high school kids that worked at a local shop and they pointed us in the right direction. We had a fun ride but we took a wrong turn and even got separated at one point, which wasn't too cool. IMG_2249(Edited).jpg IMG_2245.jpg

We left Idaho and headed to Leavenworth, WA on the recommendation of the two high schoolers. The coolest thing about Leavenworth was an incredible pump track. I'm not a pump track guy, but this thing was so much fun. There were kids on this thing all day long on a variety of types of bikes and even skateboards. We jumped in for several laps with them. IMG_0593(2).jpgIMG_2412(Edited).jpg IMG_2346.jpg IMG_2429.jpg
    Leavenworth was a fun little town, but Canada was calling and it was time to head across the border. The only hiccup on the second week was my wife backed into and put a quarter sized dent on her rental car's hood. No big deal

mtbMike, Cisco Roots, mike and 12 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Always look forward to your ride reports! Thank you!

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Awesomeness!!!!!

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
  5. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    You make her drive separately??? So that's how this trip didn't end in divorce :Roflmao

luvmammoth, mike, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    "Bikes and Boots!" :Roflmao:Roflmao No sneaker wearing sissies allowed out here!

Too f*****g cool... I'm going to guess that the prospect of divorce is pretty slim to none. :thumbsup:

luvmammoth, mike and mtnbikej like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Mining the goods! Excellent!!!! TFPU. :thumbsup:

luvmammoth likes this.
  8. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Another great post. Great scenes, but I'm having a hard time not getting distracted by how aesthetically perfect your bike is spec'd, down to the skin wall tires. Kudos.

luvmammoth and mike like this.
  9. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    ride poorly and slowly, but look good doing it is my motto. Unfortunately, I’m not on that bike anymore because the clear coat pealed up a little. Santa cruz replaced it with the Tallboy 4.

Voodoo Tom, mike and mtnbikej like this.
  10. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Words to live by.

luvmammoth and mike like this.
  11. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Cool you got to ride those new trails near Bozeman, they put those in as a winter / mud season riding area.

luvmammoth likes this.
  12. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    Gallup eh? I may have to check it out one of these days on my way to Durango. Gallup is usually a place I try to get thru as quickly as possible. There is literally nothing redeeming about that place. :gag: Maybe those trails are the one bright spot :thumbsup:

13. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    We only found it because we stopped at the visitor center right when you cross into the state. They had about 100 brochures and such and we found the trails in 10 Adventure Activities in Gallup. Nice to find something fun when you have zero expectations. We drove through Gallup afterwards and were amazed at what a city in decay looked like. We found some nice areas, but the Route 66 strip was a hot mess. IMG_1472.jpg

mtbMike likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?