Summer Road Trip 2019 Week 1

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by luvmammoth, Oct 11, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    This year my wife and I decided to try the Divorce Trip. Twenty-seven days together in our van covering 10 states, two counties, and an island. During the trip we planned to do a ride in the morning and then head off to our next destination for a short ride that afternoon followed by a longer ride in the morning at the same location. It was a bit of a whirlwind tour, but it was awesome. We were able to do this since our daughter was in Germany for a month and we didn't want to just sit around and worry. We only had four destinations that we needed to hit on the road trip. Cody, WY, Yellowstone, Whistler BC, and Sandy Oregon. Our trip began with a stop in Prescott. It was our first time there and absolutely loved it. We found great places to park/camp and even better trails to ride. Our favorite ride in Prescott was the Thumb Butte area.IMG_1251(1).jpg After Prescott, we headed up to Flagstaff IMG_1354(1).jpg IMG_1350.jpg Unfortunately, a lot of the good trails were closed for logging However, we still found a nice ride to do before heading on to Gallup New Mexico The High Drsert Trail System was really nice except for the incredible thunder storm. IMG_1378(1).jpg IMG_1383(1).jpg IMG_1464.jpg

We ran into a little difficulty in Santa Fe, NM trying to find a place to camp overnight. Unfortunately, this cost us a nice ride we wanted to do, but we ended up heading towards Taos. We wanted to find a mellow XC ride for the day and were rewarded with a nice trail along the canyon rim. IMG_1504.jpg IMG_1490.jpg

After our quick stay in Taos we headed out towards Salida, CO. The Salida area was absolutely beautiful. We did just one ride in the area before heading off to Gunnison, CO. IMG_1563.jpg IMG_1546.jpg
    Gunnison, CO was one of the coolest places we stayed and rode. Great trails with some super flowy fun. This was on of the few places that we stayed multiple days. We can't wait to get back there next year. IMG_1563.jpg IMG_1631(Edited).jpg IMG_0353(2).jpg IMG_1647(Edited).jpg IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg IMG_1734(Edited).jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Spec-fuckin-tacular!!!!

Been to most of those places and love them! You guys are amazing. Are you getting divorced?

mike, bvader, luvmammoth and 2 others like this.
  3. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Dude you are living the life congrats TFPU!!!

mike, Old&InTheWay and luvmammoth like this.
  4. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    We are not getting divorced, but we thought 20 plus days together in the van would lead to it. lol

mike, bvader, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  5. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Man, awesome post! Way to get out there, and cool to see you guys enjoying it together.

luvmammoth, mike and bvader like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    You guys are maniacs!!! Props for getting things done! :thumbsup: TFPU.

Bivy zones around Santa Fe, hehe. Been there :bang:

luvmammoth likes this.
  7. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Nice!

8. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    Awesome!! I wish my wife rode because we'd have one of those vans and do this stuff regularly. Instead, I have to travel with guys and then have my wife fly mid-trip so I can spend some time with her. :D You joke about divorce but it happened to my neighbors. They took off on a XC trip in a 30+ foot motorhome and got half way around when the wife called it quits in North Carolina. :eek:

If you loved Gunnison, you need to get up to Crested Butte next time while you're out that way.

herzalot likes this.
  9. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    We had planned to ride in Crested Butte, actually walked around it for a bit, but decided to head into Wyoming. The best part is we took a road we saw on the map so we didn't have to go all the way back to Salida. Unfortunately, it was a dirt road and we weren't able to go too fast because we got stuck behind a couple of cars. After a couple of miles we got passed them and turned the van into a rally car and picked up the pace.

herzalot likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?