Summer Heat Warning (for Trail Dogs)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig Lassen, Aug 4, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Craig Lassen

Craig Lassen Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig Lassen
    Heat Stroke Alert! Dog Nearly Dies. (Video)
    Hey all, it's Craig from VCA Lakeside in Big Bear. I'm posting this for all my MTB friends that ride with their dogs...
    This week we admitted "Ranger" for Heat Stroke. He had an internal temperature of 106.9 F and was on his way to organ shut down and death. Fortunately his owners noticed the progression and brought him directly to VCA Lakeside Animal Hospital for treatment that most certainly saved his life. He was administered shock doses of IV fluids and immediately started on oxygen and external cooling therapies. The team at VCA were able to safely drop his temp back to 102.9 within 30 minutes. Active cooling therapies were then stopped and over the next 20-30 minutes Ranger's body completed the process and cycled him back into a normal range just above 100 F.

This is the time of year when dogs (and cats) are presented on a routine basis for heat related issues. On a day when it is 70 F, the internal temp of a car rises to 104 F within 30 minutes. At 100 F, it will rise to almost 170 F!! A dogs normal temp is around 100-102.5 F. Anything above 103 F is a concern. Above 104+ for a sustained period is a very serious concern and you should contact your local pet ER immediately!

Dogs in cars are not the only ones at risk. Cats, puppies and senior pets left in the house can overheat as well. Dogs with any sort of airway compromise, such as laryngeal paralysis, collapsing trachea's, congestive heart failure, obesity and even anxiety can work themselves into a stress related heat crisis as well!

And let's not forget about the ground temp's! On a hot day blacktops can get up 145 F and concrete around 122 F. That's hot enough to cause paw pad problems, so consider some sort of boot if you're going to walk your pet outside on hot days.

We're glad that Ranger survived, but countless other animals do not. We live in an area where many people recreate with their pets on local trails systems. All too often we see pets at the hospital because they were actually exercised into heat stroke. It's easier than you might think! So we partnered with VCA Lakeside Animal Hospital to put together this informative video providing tips to avoid heat stroke in your dog this summer. We hope you will check it out and pass it on to your "outdoor dog friends". Cheers!

Play it safe y'all...ride your dogs in the morning or late afternoon...or leave them at home this time of year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx4DTDuTFG8

.php?d=AQBr8PSR8F1M4mZ_&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FJx4DTDuTFG8%2Fhqdefault.jpg

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the PSA, Craig.

I keep water and a bowl in my car, and I've given out water to dogs many times. I've seen dogs suffering on trails in the heat; one died on Holy Jim Trail a half dozen years ago. Dogs have to wear a fur coat and don't sweat, so they deserve extra consideration all year long.

3. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Signs at the trail heads and parks here in Arizona. It’s against state law to take your pup on a hike of the temp is over 100*.

mike, SnakeCharmer and Faust29 like this.
  4. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    i took lill blackie out tonight. she loves it, of course it cools off in the twilight out west. it was 104 when I left the valley so it was hot somewhere for some people.
    happy dawg trails

mike and DangerDirtyD like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?