Strawberry Peak Loop 12/09/14

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BCrummett, Dec 10, 2014.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    First of all, I wasn't really planning on riding this yesterday. Nobody I knew was available to ride, I was kind of tired and extremely sore from the previous 3 days of riding, my drive train is on the verge of exploding, there isn't any cell phone service in the mountains, and common sense just dictates don't go on a ride like this alone. So as I was driving up the Crest I told myself, "I'll just climb up the fireroad and check out the top of Josephine Peak," which I have never done before. Once I found my parking spot, and started loading up I noticed how perfect it was outside. The temperatures were in the 50s, the air was extra fresh and crisp, and there was barely a cloud in the sky. So I started the climb up to the saddle. The whole time I kept thinking, I know I'm supposed to play it safe and go to Josephine Peak, BUT I just rode Strawberry Peak 2 days ago and it was a top 5 ride of the year for me... hero dirt all day long... beautiful views... technical, exposed single track... varying terrain... and a little valley below a granite cliff that's right out of Yosemite!!! Pretty much once I got to the saddle there was nothing I could do but turn right and hit the loop. And the rest is history. The ride went even smoother than the ride a few days prior, the trail is still in absolutely perfect riding shape, the whole valley floor single track was lined with frost which was insanely cool, and I felt like I knew the trail this time which led to it having way more flow. Anyways, here's the pics I managed to take. Now let's bring on these rains later in the week, because you know this trail's gonna have another week or so of perfect riding on it again for SURE!!!

IMG_7247.JPG

IMG_7209_2.JPG

IMG_7254.JPG

IMG_7255.JPG

IMG_7248.JPG

IMG_7249.JPG

IMG_7250.JPG

IMG_7256.JPG

IMG_7251.JPG

IMG_7252.JPG

IMG_7212.JPG

IMG_7253.JPG

IMG_7258.JPG

gunga din, GregMiester and Mikie like this.
  2. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    PS I did leave an itinerary, a map of where I was riding, and an "if I'm not back by X time call the search and rescue!" note w/ my wife, so i wasn't fully up Sh!t creek if something happened. I have to say though, there were parts on that ride where I definitely felt like I was being watched by something!

hill^billy and Mikie like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Great report! Can hardly wait to go up there this weekend.

I ride Strawberry solo quite often. I also take just about the same precautions. Any way you slice it, it's my favorite local ride...... :mrgreen:

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Brandon!
    What an outstanding ride report! I'm envious of your Pics! You most definitely have a unique style about it's imagery. I have only ridden this once and it was dry loose and very sandy. With all the weather, no doubt things are starting firm up and it makes me want to get out there on it again. I have been off the bike for two weeks due to work, otherwise I would join rossage this weekend. :(
    Thanks for the great report...

hill^billy likes this.
  5. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Nice report, THX!

6. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    It may have been dry and loose but your sporting a second fastest on the climb up from Red Box. :lol:
    And you weren't feeling well, hate to see that on a good day. :eek:

Mikie likes this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Apparently . . . . . . I will NEVER live this down. ;)

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Funny thing is.... Mikie was trying to catch up to me! :eek: I dropped him like a bad habit. Strava will never know. :(

Mikie likes this.
  9. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    Hey it was a compliment, but in all fairness you posted it the original RR. :D

Mikie likes this.
  10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Prior to digging into STRAVA to find the facts! Just drag me through dah guttah, I can take it... :?

11. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Great report, love the photos and that trail looks fun.

Mikie likes this.
  12. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    I love the pic before the tic! Great shot.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Official "BUMP" for a great Ride Report with some most excellent pics!

GregMiester likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?