Strawberry dishes the raspberries !

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Dec 28, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    The Bomb Squad is back!

Bombers Rossage, Mikie, Voodoo, Maddog, Brett and his 2 buddies Sergio and Josh all showed for the always sweet Strawberry Loop. The climb up to the saddle was uneventful but got a bit warm. Weather man said 67* but it was closer to 80*. Half way up we were shedding layers. The back side was back down to about 65*, really nice. We bobbed and wheel skied around the rocks and down the steeps all smiles enjoying the goodness. No down trees and some nice trail work done recently. On the climb out Josh trying to follow Mikie the masters moves through a washed out g out and he ended up tumbling down through the rocks. He narrowly missed getting smashed by a dislodged boulder that Voodoo said would have broken his bike. He climbed out licking his wounds while we human chained his bike back up to the trail. We got a little concerned at this point. We were only half way through and Josh was a bit banged up and fatigued stating that he was DONE! Well that sucked cuz he still had to climb out to the road another couple miles. We reached the saddle for the single track back to the front side and I handed out treats (Polar bears) and the mood loosened up. Then an interesting thing happened. A few minutes into the down hill single track and Josh was back on track looking for more!. Saweeet! Funny how a good dh can change your whole attitude. We arrived at Highway 2 and I get a flat. Good thing it was at the finish of the DH. I tried to clean the bead and reseat it but to no avail. Popped in a tube and away we go. Now this is the Chit. We were hauling the mail and I clipped a rock ,threw the backend sideways across the trail blocking Scottay from escaping the yard sale and he wads up into me and as the bushes drag me to a stop. No harm done , no broken bikes or body parts . Back on the trail 10 minutes later Josh clips a bolder and does the same thing to me as I did to Scottay. Luckily we were able to skinny by him at speed! At last we come to the entrance to the much anticipated waterfall. Everyone wants a piece and ready to attack. Ross bombs first followed by me then Scottay and Mikie. Scottay said he had a miniscule dab as the rest of us cleaned it. That Ross is a badass on his hardtail! To be honest it looked like a few of the big boulders had been removed, a bit of a let down but an accomplishment none the less. Greg, Josh(said F*&k this), Brett and Sergio opted for the smarter move and hiked it. The balance to the single track was wonderful as we rolled into the parking lot high 5s and yah babies for all.

Great temps , awesome single track great friends and Josh was smiling bloodied up and all. Frienken Mikie knows how to throw that Hightower around , plus tires too. Scottay and his new Yeti were roostin all the way. Greg and his Intense were always on our tire. Brett who’s Dad actually introduced me to Mtbing some 25 years ago sent me a text saying he gave his buds a run for their money but he thinks they will be back, he loved it. Thanks to all the Bombers for making the Bomb Squad what it is. You guys are the best! So good to be back!

BaaaaaaallllllZ Baby!

All back safe, mission accomplished!

IMG_2042.JPG

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Saw this gathering earlier on the Strava, looked like a good group there!

Faust29, Mikie, scan and 4 others like this.
  3. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    Nice write up. Sounds like you guys need to start shooting video for the crash sequences.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  4. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Such a great ride today and so good to see you on the mend and back in the saddle @Tom the Bomb. Your rides never ever disappoint. That RDO is a sweet rig and you were hauilin the mail on it.

Josh's crash was ugly from my view. He was sandwiched between @Mikie and I so I had a front row seat for the action. Sketchy little ravine crossing that only crazy mf'ers like Mikie try and get away with. I know this cuzz I've followed Mikie over thousands of miles sketchy trail but apparently Josh didn't realize that normal people don't. Wasn't a shear cliff drop but damn close to it and Josh tumbled and slid way down it. After trying to get him to respond numerous times I had to dive down to check on him and try to fetch him & his bike. Luckily he was able to hike up under his own power though another large rock was send tumbling directly on top of his bike. So glad he was basically OK cuzz easily could & should have been a helicopter ride out. He better be glad this wasn't a panties & lace ride just saying...

Ripley was like old faithful, I still love that bike. Trail was in great shape and I forgot how much fun it is.

5. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Great weather, great group, great ride!
    Some pics....

LA straw.JPG

strw1.jpg

straw2.JPG

6. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Bike recovery effort

DSC00386.JPG

DSC00390.JPG

DSC00392.JPG

DSC00395.JPG

DSC00396.JPG

DSC00398.JPG

DSC00402.JPG

DSC00406.JPG

maddog.JPG

Postal Pat, UPSed, Maddog and 20 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oh yeah baby!
    Mid week Bomb run around my favorite Strawberry with @Tom the Bomb , @Mikie , @Voodoo Tom , @Maddog , @scottay and the three musketeers!
    Late start got later with some late arrivals but we hit the fireroad running and quickly splintered into groupettos according to pace and effort.
    Josh attacked the singletrack with the balance skills of a drunken sailor. Had a few near misses and finally the crash TTB mentioned Strawberry is not a place to learn a skill and payment for error is taken in flesh, blood, and bone. Not to mention bike parts.
    Once we all got back on the same page, some minor crashes and a few unplanned dismounts were all that slowed us down, on the way down.
    I think all (most?) of us left some skin somewhere up there. Me and TTB ended up with identical left forearm scratches-probably from the same bush.
    The extra dry, late-late summer conditions made for lots of washouts and sketchy cornering-a freakin blast at speed. I tri-podded a few corners and kept on rolling.
    Couldn't make the post ride burger session but I got In N Out for dinner
    Just another awesome day in the San Gabes.

8. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Damn and that Voodoo guy on the Ripley never seems to get tired Awesome riding Tom
    Sorry did not mean to skip over you in the post. Still on cloud 9.

Maddog, Luis, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

First of all I’m glad that was not a copter ride! Second assuming Josh is the guy with the dope orange helmet, in the second to last pic is that where he went over ? (where he is standing with the bike)

Tom the Bomb, Maddog, Luis and 7 others like this.
  10. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Yep just to his left where all the rocks are. He chewed up his knees and elbow with a couple cuts on his nose and chin!

Maddog, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

That helmet did its job! Pretty steep hillside for sure.

12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Yep too steep to hike straight down to him. Had to kind of side hill it and hang on to bushes.

13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Makes ya think!

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    You guys are funny. Fun day. I got some pics I will post tomorrow. Good to see the Bombster up and on a bike. In fact, good to see everyone today!

15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    All that "Ricky Rescue" Adventure stuff happened while I was Tarzan yelling from the top of Lawler Saddle wondering why you slackers were taking so long. I guess it was an appropriate time for a safety break....:whistling:
    I was literally putting my helmet back on to go back down the trail when I saw @Mikie turn the corner on the way up.
    Good times!

Tom the Bomb, Maddog, Luis and 6 others like this.
  16. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I know that section all too well, ok maybe not as well as Josh does now. The rains washed out most of the rock armoring we laid down when we were restoring this trail after the station fire. Most people walk across it nowadays. It's a tricky section that is on a slight rise that requires a little pedal burst, front wheel placement on the little inside ledge on the granite and anticipation that the rear tire is going to do a little slide down into the hole.
    Josh probably fell backwards off the trail :eek:
    Glad he is OK :thumbsup:

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    The Mikie Report:
    It was an unusually warm December day when we got the call... :eek:The Bombster was up and about, and he wanted Strawberry, what the ...?

The first time I did Strawberry, I hated it! The report is on imtbtrails...
    I bonked so bad, that I wanted to never come back, "That rossage is a bad influence," I thought. It was actually bad eating habits that blew me up that day. With Tailwind that has all changed.

strawberry.rasberries.PNG

The roster for the ride was unclear for a bit. Rossage only commented it would be an interesting ride but I did not read that to be he was in. Voodoo dove in as Voodoo always dives in. Scottay said a maybe, Maddog committed.

Voodoo and I carpooled. He was the first to receive a Trailhead Delivery order from imtbgear, ha hah!

Got there early and rossage was already there trying to pawn off 14 year old girls from his white van, Geez! Next pulled up Maddog with Scottay, then Tom the Bomb himself. He was alone! He's never alone. o_O
    However, he did invite a dude named Brett, who invited some guys, one of which was Josh and another named Sergio. I didn't catch the other names but we totaled 9 riders.

The climb out of Switzer is a super steep paved road. If you are going clockwise on the loop, it's nice to get that one out of the way first by parking at the bottom where we did. Climbing Josephine it got warm real fast! I mean real fast. I really have not mentioned it but I'm going through a Topical Chemo treatment for some skin cancer for my noggin and my arms and so the sweat made things feel raw and tender. The Chem's make me feel nauseous so my climb was a little bit of a struggle. I was real glad when we hit the top and finally to the singletrack.

I have grown to love Strawberry! You just got to be prepared for it. It's not your typical climb to the top and descend kind of ride as you can tell from the profile. Singletrack climbing is WAYYYY different from fire road climbing. A lot more energy burning body English to stay upright. But there is some majestic vistas and some awesome twisty technical sections full of large boulders, trees, branches, and exposure to maneuver wide handlebars around at speed. I love it!

Josh is a new rider to the sport and I think he did awesome! He did tend to have a bit of target fixation with the outside edge of the trail. That's BAD! Gotta focus on where you want to go.
    He was right behind me when I crossed a little tech section where the trail dips and narrows from erosion. Covered in powdery silt sand it was a place you have to totally commit to, or walk it, due to the penalty of failure. In my opinion, the failure aspect was quite high. Now seeing the results of a failed crossing might mess with my head if I were to go ride that section tomorrow, as the results of Josh's crash were impactful.

As I evaluated the dip on approach I made the decision to commit. I honestly think the Hightower inspired the confidence to handle the bidness.;) Plus tires with mega gription made it easy for me to get across. I also think the years of riding and knowing how to predict what the dirt was going to do as I crossed it is a huge factor as well for inertial, pedal pressure, gear choice, and body English.

I heard a, "Oh Nice!" behind me which told me it was Josh. I didn't think for a second he was going to try to clean it. next thing I hear is @Voodoo Tom saying in a surprisingly calm voice, "Hey Mikie, we have a problem, here." ( Think that is what he said.)

I turned to see Josh's helmet popping up over the ravine edge as he cartwheeled with bike over and over and over at least 3 separate times. Coming to rest he was laying very still. That's when concern hit me. No response to anything we said. Then he picked himself up and started climbing out non responsive to our questions or guidance. Left his bike climbed up where we suggested not climbing up grabbed a hold of a large loose boulder. I said, "Don't grab that! It is going to fall and hit your bike!" Josh did it any way and the boulder let loose, caught fast speed bouncing like 3 times and smack right into the side of his bike! Then he just started waking up the trail not saying a word. Tom and I were confused. Tom went down to retrieve the bike. It was so steep, I didn't want to attempt it.

Brett his buddy showed and dove down to help Tom. They both struggled with how steep the mountain was. Tom the Bomb started down as well. They got the bike within reach of me and I grabbed it and brought it trail side. Gave Josh my water bottle and he drank it all. He was out of water and did not eat breakfast before the ride. It was all coming together.

After a bit, we got going again. Ross was no doubt up at the pass unaware of what transpired.

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful other than Tom the Bomb getting an unexplainable flat, a few high speed "get sideways" events on the singletrack from Red Box to Switzer, and cleaning the somewhat disappointing sanitized Waterfall section. Still a worthy section, just made easier by well intending trail maintainers.

High fives, fist bumps, and shouts of glee to be had by all as one by one we rolled into the trailhead parking. Group pic then disbursement.
    Hit up "The Habit" with Brett and josh and then hit the road home.

Things I know:

• Tom the Bomb, you can't keep that man down, both in cycling and in spirit. He is an inspiration to me.
    • Voodoo Tom is captain consistent when he rides his Ripley, Tom is a phenomenal riding partner, and I can't wait for what he now has brewing in his garage!
    • Maddog is the underdog. For a guy who complains a lot about climbing, he sure can climb. Tech skills are right there too!
    • Scottay is a mega smooth talented rider. No matter what he is on, today it was a Yeti 5.5, you will learn something from him if you can stay on his wheel.
    • Rossage. Hmmm... Rossage. That guy is one gifted rider. He led the last section from Red Box to Switzer on his Hardtail and it was all I could do to keep him and Scottay in sight. He cleaned the Waterfall and all the other tech sections for that matter all the while being Rossage. Only someone who has ridden with Ross would know what that means, lol! Love it!
    • I rode a bit with Brett and he is a talented rider, look forward to hitting some more trail with him.

Tom the Bomb. Inspiration for all...

DSCF1833.jpg

Rossage. Thinking he is. . . "Dangerous".

DSCF1834.jpg

Maddog. Kicking it after the first climb. Always smiling! (Accept for when he is climbing)

DSCF1835.jpg

Voodoo Tom and Scottay, when they get together, they talk bikes. Ross in the background doing what Ross does... blah blah blah...:whistling::thumbsup:
    DSCF1836.jpg

Stop point to regroup before the plunge into the backside of Strawberry. Captain America in the forefront. I think Brett is thinking, How much further!"
    DSCF1837.jpg

"The Cause." Narrow, Soft, and Dipped with a nice very steep ravine to fall into upon failure to clean...
    DSCF1839.jpg

"The Affect." What happens when one does not clean the cause... Scary moment, that turned out so far, okay. That's Voodoo down there being the good dude that he is. to recover the bike.
    DSCF1838.jpg

Brett in on the assist.
    DSCF1840.jpg

Tom the Bomb getting into the action.

DSCF1841.jpg

Scottay. Squinting in to the sun and the direction we are heading after hitting the last pass. It's all fun and games from here!

DSCF1842.jpg

One last shot of Rossage on his most favorite trail on the planet. Well... at least one of his most favorite. A dude in his element!

DSCF1844.jpg

Yup! Another fun filled day with some of the best dudes on the planet!
    I love this place!

Mikie

18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    As different as we may be, on the trail we are all brothers and sisters.
    Love you too man!

19. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Nice add on Mikie. Nice Bandana Ross Baby! I will have a talk with Brett. Josh no breakfast out of water, pummeled , bruised and battered, thirsty and hungry! No wonder he was done! The best lessons are experienced! He won't do that again!

scan, Mikie, hill^billy and 1 other person like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?