Strava haters rejoice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Obsidian, May 20, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Along with many other changes, Strava has now made segment leader boards "subscriber only." The only thing they now let free users see are "All Time Top 10" & "Top 10 women."

I guess I can see it from Strava's perspective ... there was nothing worth paying for under the old model (IMO), and segment leader boards are pretty much their party piece. It will be interesting to see what happens. I suspect the overall user base will drop dramatically.

This angry article sums up all the changes, which are effective today:

https://bit.ly/36iprVt

upload_2020-5-20_14-5-45.png

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    All time top 10 are what everyone should be pursuing anyway.

3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I know many members on IMTB are using Strava but....

How many just use the free version because its free? Would you pay if that was the only choice or move on to another option?

How many of you pay for your Strava privileges? What feature is it that you think it's worth paying for?

I use Strava pretty much to track my mileage and elevation but admit that it's fun to see where I stack up against others who have ridden the same trail. Now that feature is going away, I'm started to wonder if I should just pay them the $60 and get it over with. I don't wear a heart rate monitor, download my rides or ever actually TRY to beat my past time or anybody else's time. Maybe I should just use that $60 for 5-6 vodka/Red Bull beverages once the bars open!! :D

4. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I don't think I've ever looked at the leader boards.

BonsaiNut, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I don’t like it enough to pay for it..see ya Strava:stop:

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I've always paid for it. I like the app and think it's worth it. Jennifer loves the beacon feature as she can check in on my ride and make sure I'm still moving and not laying in a ditch somewhere. It cracks me up the amount of people that say they're going to stop using it if they have to pay for it. Okay?

7. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I don't think I ride enough to pay for it. I'll have to see how the updated restrictions affect my use and enjoyment of the App before I decide if paying for it is worthwhile.

KOM holders should be exempt from the new restrictions.

8. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I'll let you know after my next ride. Is it $60 per year or lifetime?

9. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Per year....for now. Who knows what it will go up too. If the Dallas Cowboys are willing to pay Dak Prescott $40 million PER YEAR, Strave will probably be $10K a year minimum. :facepalm:

10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I have been a premium member for a few years now.

Currently, I'm not planning to make any changes.
    I spend way too much money on other subscriptions that are more expensive and less rewarding then Strava (2 gyms membership for example).

11. heyitsdave

heyitsdave Member

Name:
    Dave Gilbert
    Current Bike:
    29er single speed
    I used to enjoy the leaderboard but I was paying too much attention to it and it was making me ride like a dick so I stopped turning on the app on every ride. Rona came to town and I didn't want anyone to know I was riding every day. I saw some riders in Italy getting busted using Strava riding during stay at home orders. I just had to turn it on to see what your post was about. Not going to subscribe.

12. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I'll always sacrifice a Strava time to yield for hikers, horses, or climbers. Damn climbers cost me a few seconds on Sidewinder and now Dante Inferno and I are tied at 1:17 :mad::mad:.

This change with Strava discriminates against mediocrity and select seasons. Top 10 riders are not affected, and trophies during the summer are pretty rare considering the loose conditions.

13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Cateye Mity II gonna make a comeback!

14. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Cateye Mity II where are you?????????????

15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I don't use it very often, as the PRs are from years ago when I had more free time and was younger. Wish I could reset every year.

But then, it's their product and asking to have someone pay is very reasonable to me. This leaves it up to the individual if worth it to them.

And leader boards? Hahahahaha as if I'd ever be in that......

There are better products out there to look up where to ride. I found strava next to useless to find routes. It may be available on strava, I could Never find it though.

16. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I'm not into the leaderboards as far as actually caring where I am on them but I'm surprised where I fall every once in a while. It's pretty standard for me to be in the 50% percentile. I'll occasionally get in the top 33% and verrrrryyyyyyy rarely get in the top 25%. I'm actually 3rd in ONE tiny segment. W00-hooo!!

Needless to say, there are some VERY impressive, strong riders out there. I'll do a segment and know I felt great, maybe getting my top time only to see the top guys beat me by 15 minutes on a 30 minute trail. :facepalm:

HBkites, scan, Voodoo Tom and 7 others like this.
  17. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    They are offering current users a 60 day free trial to test it out. I will sign up for that at least and then evaluate. Of course, forgetting to cancel at the end of the trial might get me ... which is probably what they are hoping for, LOL.

18. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Yep...just how DirectTV and SiriusXM usually get me before I catch on and remember to call to talk to "Jake" in Mumbai.

19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Strava hater here. I hope strava goes the way of photobucket and all but disappears from use. Good riddance!

20. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I’ll keep paying for it. I don’t care about the leader boards because I’m old and slow, but I do like to be able to look at my times on different segments on different days. It’s strange how you can feel fast or slow going up or down something but your actual time will say otherwise. I also like to be able to track my mileage and elevation and how many miles/hours I am putting on a bike. But, the main feature that I like to use that will only be for the pay subscription is the route builder. I use it to build both MTB and roadie routes that I can download to my Garmin. It’s a lot easier to do that sitting on the couch than have to keep stopping and looking at Trailforks while on a ride. And, it’s only $5 per month, which I think it is definitely worth.

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :thumbsup:

22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    But what about my ego!?

scan, Voodoo Tom, heyitsdave and 4 others like this.
  23. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I use TrailForks to log rides and it just syncs to Strava. Anyone do that?

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a year to decide... My renewal was last month. :p I also pay for Veloviewer, which draws its data from Strava.

25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I like Strava, and look to see who is riding where. The social aspect is pretty cool. I've learned a lot of good trails and shared many others with people via Strava. Leaderboards are nice to look at, but the world will be better without the competition. I do pay attention to when I get PRs, so hopefully that stays in the deadbeat user category.

26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Can’t understand the haters. Usually they are once again blaming an inanimate object for acts of stupid people. I like STRAVA. I have years of stored data on their. I could easily use another App. There are better ones out there, I only use it because most of the people I know and ride with use it and I want to stay connected.

27. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    All good..everyone can see my KOMs still..
    Strava! Get out my way!

28. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I merged to two STRAVA threads...

Sidewalk, HBkites, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Shoot. Just when I was thinking about subscribing. :(

30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I only hate STRAVA because of those a-holes back in the early days who would yell out "STRAVA!!!" as they blasted by, in pursuit of a KOM, while fully expecting anyone in their approach pattern to GTFOOTW, right-of-way be damned.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?