Strange symptoms after ride

Discussion in 'Health' started by CBone, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I went for a solo ride Friday night. Kept it moving and felt good. I’ve seen a jump in my fitness the last few weeks. I charged a few segments and climbed a bit more than usual but nothing crazy. I felt fine after the ride but tossed and turned during the night with soreness.
    I had to be up early for an appointment. All day I’ve the aches but not normal sore muscles, more like a have a touch of the flu.
    I may have been a bit dehydrated before the ride?
    This has happened a few times in the last few years.
    Anyone else have this happen?

~JB~, Cornholio, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    No. But I hurt after every ride, so....

Cornholio, Danmtchl, CBone and 5 others like this.
  3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Sounds like flu and such to me.

Cornholio, Danmtchl, CBone and 5 others like this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Did you fuel properly? I generally fuel according to how and how long I plan to ride. A few months ago I decided to add a few more miles to my ride. I knew I didn't have enough fuel but I kept going figuring I'd be okay as I was in cruise mode. I started bonking about 45 minutes from home and I could barely make the easiest climbs. The heat didn't help either. I recovered once I got home and refueled but had the symptoms you describe for several days. Hope you're feeling better.

Cornholio, Danmtchl, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You might be getting sick. You'll know soon enough... :sick:

But it sounds like you pushed your body more than you're used to. If it doesn't hurt too bad, keep pushing past your norm in small increments. You'll adjust... :thumbsup: Maybe increase the fuel intake for those days? And pre-fuel before the ride? On long days, I'm usually a bottle of Tailwind in before I ever get on the bike.

I plan to have the symptoms you describe when I wake up next Sunday morning... :D Hopefully it doesn't take two weeks to recover like it did after my first Rwanda Ride. :oops:

~JB~, Cornholio, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    When you push yourself a little harder than normal, your body may react afterward even if it did feel like you were pushing yourself harder because you went beyond your usual routine. This is the price we pay for advancing. Good going! :cool:

And, I hope you got the flu shot! :eek:

People, we are entering the Fall Season here in So Cali. That means offshore winds which means drier air which means we all need to take extra steps to keep hydrated. Many of us are dehydrated most of the time and we don't even realize it. This plays a role in our performance and how we feel afterward. Drink more fluids!

Cornholio, Danmtchl, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Doesn’t sound abnormal to me. I never have a great sleep the night ending a hard day. The following night, yes, deep sleep, but that first night is too soon.

You know yourself like no one does. If you feel a tad strange like a bug being fought off, I’d say trust your senses. And proceed accordingly.

You got it, T. Fist pump for the fitness jump; “new terrain” that might be unfamiliar to you and your body.

~JB~, Danimal, Cornholio and 6 others like this.
  8. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    This ride was only a couple of miles longer and 500ft or so more than normal. 13mi and 2,000ft. I don’t usually fuel during rides like this but maybe I should.
    Thanks Ed

9. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Not sick, thank goodness. Regular muscle soreness goes with the territory for sure. Thanks

10. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks Mike

11. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks Snake

12. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I think I’m going to chalk this up to a combination of things. Not enough fuel in the tank and certainly not enough hydration. The temps out in the high desert have really dropped and I’ve noticed that I don’t remember to drink enough in cooler weather. I also had a couple of busy days at work and probably didn’t hydrate enough throughout the day.
    I’ve done rides harder than this in the past couple of months. The Big Bear ride was way longer and more challenging and didn’t cause the same symptoms. I did consume a lot of water and Tailwind(z) on that ride.
    Feeling much better today:thumbsup:
    Ride tomorrow :thumbsup:

13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Sounds like a combo of things like you say but keep watch on it.

I’ve had an issue with waking up with numb limbs the past several months but my doctors were not able to pinpoint anything. Even did a stress test at the cardiologist but everything checked out ok. I wake up to a pounding heart occasionally and it scares the heck out of me.

I’m still not convinced that everything is ok. Stress is something I have to wrestle with regularly in my career, everything needs to be done five minutes ago and one mistake can cost millions. After 15 years it has taken a toll on me, I think I’ll only be able to last another 10 years at my job before I need to retire early and do something else.

Have you been extra stressed lately? Any changes in diet?

~JB~, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    This sounds like the Symptoms I have when upping my riding fitness. After a long ride the building up to longer rides I don't sleep particularly well, feel kind of sore etc. Sounds normal to me....it'll pass ( most of the time) once your body is used to it, and remember to drink more fluids in colder weather.

15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Ah, numb limbs! My arms sometimes fall asleep when I asleep in bed. Last week saw an Ortho on my broken/torn shoulder and asked him about it. He mentioned that his arms fall asleep when he sleeps to. It's normal and don't worry about it. I have noticed that as my fitness increases the numbness increases.

However, I have had numb hands when riding for the last few months which is fairly new. Now that I've started stretching the shoulders the numbness while riding has subsided considerably, as has the arms falling asleep at night. My take on this? I need to stretch the arms/shoulders regularly, that it's not lack of blood flow so much as pinched nerves.

16. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Yikes on the stressful job Corn. No extra stress here. Good luck with the job situation and your health.

17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Even on my shorter rides I start fueling 45 minutes in. I can easily go two hours without fuel but I don't like the feeling of being calorie deficient and of course the harder you push the more fuel you burn.

mike, CBone, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Big rides, long marathon runs etc.= cortisol build up (stress). Which your body has to deal with while trying to sleep, hence no sleep. Exercise is good and relieves stress, until you do to much and then it adds stress and is counter intuitive plain and simple. Add to that not enough fuel and your body really struggles to handle what it has been put through.
    I have stopped doing big rides to impress my Strava buddies, because it does me no good except for bragging rights. I seem to get a runners high at 12 miles, that’s my body's way of tell me thats my sweet spot. My limit though these days I won’t go over 20 miles. I’m really trying to get back to three or 4 days a week for the cardio, hiking or riding. Sleep is king!

~JB~, mike, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  19. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I did not bother reading ALL of the replies. too lazy.

I would say you answered it yourself... dehydrated. Hydrate more, DAYS before your ride. And, perhaps a recovery drink after your ride. :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD, CBone and mike like this.
  20. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Update. On our ride last night one of the guys was talking about the strange illness he had last week. It felt like the flu with aches but it only lasted 24hrs.
    I guess I had the same thing. It must be a bug that is going around.

DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej, mike and 2 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

What are you guys doing on your rides? :eek: o_O :cautious:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  22. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Driving to the trails. No sharing water bottles.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    If there is only one pipe, you gotta do what you gotta do.

24. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Fixed it.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?