Strada Rossa 100K

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by DBMX119, Mar 27, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    So I'm finally just getting caught up on some things and had some time to write out some thoughts on the Rossa.

This was the first organized ride for a buddy of mine and neither of us had any idea what to expect going in. We pulled into the mall parking lot around 7 or and took our time getting ready. We ended up missing the 7:30 roll out so we took off on our own about 7:40. I never load maps in the Garmin for these types of rides, but for some reason I figured it would be a good idea. 1 minute in I was glad I did!! We got lost a few times on the way out of town and would never have figured it out if it wasn't for the alerts on my Garmin.

Coming down the first dirt section there was one area that was fairly rutted and steep. I made the mistake of stopping at the top to see where I wanted to go, then had to creep down. I would have been better off just bombing it, but figured it was good to be safe. Right at the bottom of this a buddy was fixing a flat tire, so I hung out with him and waited for my other buddy to show up.

A few minutes later my buddy comes bombing down the hill.... drops into the rut and goes over the bars. Looks like I was smart to pick my line wisely. A few minutes later a lady comes bombing down on a mountain bike. She looked like she had it, until she hit a rock and bailed.... HARD. I helped her up and she looked banged up but in good spirits. We left her with her friends and charged on.
    25477469014_6678cdbd41.jpg

The rest of the ride was great, and has been covered in great details by everyone else. Some of my random thoughts:
    • The singeltrack after the last aid station was EPIC. It was some of the best riding I have done on the cross bike.
    • It felt like there was a lot more than 50% dirt, but I agree that it was probably because most of the climbing was on dirt and the long descent was paved. I also think that some of the paved sections were pretty much abandoned roads, so they didn't feel like they were really paved (no one around, rough, etc).
    • The 100K seemed like the perfect distance and elevation. It was tough, but not a complete ball buster. I don't know if I would have enjoyed the 100 miler as much.
    • Course Marking: This has been a big topic, but it needs to be better. I know its hard to get 3 courses marked, but the quality of the markings that were there need to be better as well. We would not have found our way without it on my Garmin. A good example of needed improvement: You can't mark a turn on the inside of the turn after the turn starts. Several of the turns in the hills after the first aid station had their markings in the middle of the actual turn.
    • The cold beer at the finish sure did taste good!!!
    26015886901_cf08eea81f.jpg
    25479638243_d3799b7392.jpg
    26056310296_27db55f926.jpg 25989701682_2003249461.jpg 25479638403_0efb750dab.jpg 25989701802_1874046fb2.jpg
    Overall this was a great event. It was low key, but fun and grass roots and we're already making plans to do it again next year.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/521400882

Postal Pat, Faust29, ridinrox and 8 others like this.
  2. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Did I start with the wrong group then? I did the 100k and started with the 8:00 group.

3. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    There was 2 starts for the 100k. One at 7:30 and one at 8. We wanted to start as early as possible because my buddy wasn't sure how he'd do or how fast he'd be. In the end he did fine.

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    @DBMX119 Rick, THANKS for the write up! And extra thanks for coming out and giving this a try. I'm afraid of sounding like a broken record at times, but I think this is a really unique and fun event, so talk it up a lot!
    I know that exact spot in Highland where your buddy crashed. That's probably one of the most technical parts of the ride, along with Zanja Peak on the 100 mile route.
    And I don't mind the critiques at all. Especially as a local, I can pretty much find my way through here. So hearing from someone that came out special for the event as a participant/guest is really important! And hearing markings, markings, markings as a recurring theme, well, there's something to that!
    The 100k is what this started as. Adding the 100 mile options may have stretched us too far. We'll debrief and go over all that!
    Thanks for the enthusiasm for this, and will see you next March if not in the fall with a Strada Sterrata ride (already thinking about that..)!

5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    @DBMX119 @bigringrider101 Rick and/or Bernie, I'm wondering how mile 44-45 was for you? That's the sediment catchment area off of Wildwood that went by those big horse corrals. Did that seem like a good area? We just "discovered" that pretty recently, and thought it was a nice way to get people off a busy street. Any thoughts on that area?

6. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I thought it was cool..... But that is one of the places we got completely lost. Haha we missed the last turn and were riding along the wash. We ended up cutting through a ranch to get over to the road.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Good times...

DBMX119 likes this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM

I really enjoyed the day, and I would like to see the 100 mile option return for next year! It pushed me out of my 50-70 mile comfort zone, and made me dig a little deeper. :thumbsup:

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Ya done good out there. It's good to be pushed out of your comfort zone.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?