Still a clyde... next victim: Industry Nine Hydra

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by stevers, Sep 22, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Kingdom Vendetta X2
    Even after losing 60lbs, I'm still a clyde at 225lbs. Wheels tend to be a common victim of my weight. Cracked a hope pro freehub, broke several spokes (and recently a nipple for the first time), and knocking all kinds of rims out of true. I thought I found reliable wheelset with the Industry Nine Hydra on Derby DH i35, but lasted just a couple months. I noticed a weird squeal from the hub, and thought maybe the freehub needed some greasing. Pull the freehub body and noticed the axle is sheared and split right off. The "natural flex" should engage the 2nd and 3rd pawls, but it seems to also stress the axle. Email sent to i9, hopefully they can give me some direction. I didn't buy the wheels new, but would want some assurances that this shouldn't be happening. Otherwise, the wheelset is getting a new axle and getting put up for sale!

Photo Sep 22, 10 00 39 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 22, 10 00 30 PM.jpg

mike, MrGreedom, rossage and 13 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Sorry to see that... best wishes getting a remedy.

mike, MrGreedom, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  3. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    You don't mean getting a new bike right??:laugh:

mike, MrGreedom, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    I weight the same as you and really don't have the wheel problems you are having. I would look into the quality of the wheel builds themselves. I may have to true wheel a few times a year, 2-3x at most. As for the rear axle being sheared off, the previous owner may or may not have known the axle was damamged. Also what kind of riding are you doing?

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I think @stevers is a Manimal! Law of average is telling me that despite size, the dude HITS the trail.
    Nothing mentioned about the size built into the wheels. Seems like weight will have to be put on the shelf and build some bullet proof equipment.
    I’m thinking Chris King hubs, larger diameter spokes of your favorite flavor, brass nipples on WTB iBeam rims like i40’s. Beef is the answer for yo Hammah head self!

mike, Faust29, MolarM and 8 others like this.
  6. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Kingdom Vendetta X2
    Always in the works! :) 7 bikes in 2 years, always looking to replace/upgrade my fleet. Generally keep 2 bikes, a big travel bike, and a hardtail or XC type bike for rides with lighter buddies.

I'm not a talented rider - right on the cusp of learning to jump and drop. This is probably the biggest contributor of wheel damage. Learning, but not smooth. Case just about every jump at snow summit party wave. Can't bunny hop, and learning is just a bunch of smashing the wheels on concrete.

mike, MrGreedom, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  7. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Kingdom Vendetta X2
    Industry nine responded in just a couple hours, and sending a replacement axle and bearings as a warranty claim. As for wheel builds, I've been advised that 28H wheels on carbon rims are just fine. The main culprit for carbon rim deformation is uneven tension, and it's actually better to have some flex for carbon rims. Coming from 36H 21mm "DH" rims 10+ years ago, this is weird advice, but I trust the source. I have 3 sets of Derby i35s, and the ones that run the truest are on 2.0/1.6 sapim race light spokes, built by Mike Curiak at lacemine29. ::shrugs:: time will tell.

Chris King might be the next build. The steel XD driver looks awesome! Not that anyone will see, but I'll know.

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 9 others like this.
  8. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley V4 & DV9
    Good to hear that I9 is helping you out. I like to support companies that support their customers.

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 7 others like this.
  9. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Congrats on dropping 60lbs!

Stkx66, Faust29, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  10. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Like you, I too (and others) have broken 15mm hub axles and also associated hub axle bearings. My solution was to upgrade to the I9 Torch hub. It has a 17mm axle on the drive side and expands to 20mm on the brake side. A huge 61903 bearing on the hub drive side. Unbreakable for my style of riding. Unfortunately when a large hub axle is used, the freehub ball bearings have to be smaller. The freehub is only so big. Smaller bearings = weaker IMO. Vince broke his Torch freehub bearings as did I on the WFO9 and WWTiSS. I believe the Hope pro4 also has a 17mm , but look at what @Faust29 did to his freehub bearings recently. I9's new 101 and Hydra hubs have been down sized to a 15mm axle, maybe to compensate for that larger bearing in the freehub, clearly seen in your picture. So I'm not totally surprised to see another 15mm broken. I believe a redesign in rear hubs is needed. Yes, another new standard if you will. There obviously enough room for a larger axle, larger bearings and larger freehub/engagement mechanisms in the area of these hollowed out cassettes we run nowadays. As far as the smaller cogs, they can thread on the larger cogs like the old five and six speeds used to. #Bombproof. Good to hear I9 waisted no time in responding on the parts needed to get you up and running again. Good luck.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Would everybody/anybody who has experienced the same kind of failure with a DT Swiss hub, please chime in?

12. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    All of my MTB's have DT Swiss hubs (either 240 or 350) and I have not had any issues with them, ever. Let's just say I wish I weighed what the OP does, or even has. I have broken nipples, rims and spokes on wheels I own with DT Swiss star ratchet hubs, but never had an issue with the hubs.

If you want to minimize the damage to your finances, you're going to have to learn to ride smoother and not just go ape crazy without considering the consequences.

I have had a set of Mike Curiak wheels, and he builds some of the best I have ever seen.

I build my own wheels, and they are generally among the best I have owned.

I will say that if you are abusing wheels, there is no wheel in the world that will survive outright abuse and you shouldn't expect them to. If you're banging the rim off of rocks, roots and/or concrete pavers and such, you will tear up your wheels. If you're landing all wonky and casing jumps, you will tear up your wheels. If that's OK, and you have the disposable income to maintain that sort of activity, you're good to go. That said, I would recommend the DT Swiss 540 Classic hubs for you. They're made for tandems (bikes) and animals (riders). Maybe you'd find the Mavic EX729 tough enough. Use DT 2.0/1.8/2.0 Competition spokes and brass nipples. If you can tear those up, my hat will be off to you.

mike, stevers, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    mike, stevers and Faust29 like this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    Even though weight wasn't an issue in my build, Mike Curiak at LaceMine29 swore by DT Swiss hubs (specifically 240's) when he did a build for me many years ago.

Faust29, mike, stevers and 3 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I have never heard of a DT Swiss 240s with this kind of failure. I am mystified as to why people buy chi-chi hubs that don't last as long, don't roll as well and make a lot of noise. Granted, DT Swiss aren't cheap, but they are about the same or less than the boutique "look at me" hubs.

Faust29, mike, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  16. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Kingdom Vendetta X2
    Agreed, smoothness is key. The wheel damage is the cost of learning; can't be smooth from the start. I had a set of WTB scrapers that I smacked around, but leaned into the carbon rims and higher end hubs. I have 3 sets of Derby wheels, two with DT Swiss 350 and this one with i9 hydras.

I9 says there were early defects in machining that caused a stress rise. Risks of being an early adopter / kool aid drinker of the 690 POE.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Another player in the hub market is Onyx. They are nor cheap, but they have an interesting freehub design that that looks to offer instantaneous engagement and durability.

stevers, Danmtchl, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

And heavy....... 473g vs. 283g :eek:

19. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Kingdom Vendetta X2
    The wife likes super quiet hubs, so I considered the Onyx for her bike. If she ever asks for an upgrade from 26" wheels, I'll likely go Onyx.

I hate being a weight weenie, but I am. A clyde weenie. The way I see it, I need anything that helps me keep up with the likes of @Danimal on the climbs. (I've not made Mark's bench since our last ride)

Daddy Dirtbag, Faust29, UPSed and 3 others like this.