Stay Hydrated

Discussion in 'Health' started by rossage, Jun 7, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I was working at the San Diego County Fair with my wife on Sunday. We almost ran out of bottled water and I started to conserve what we had left by drinking less/none. Didn't notice any ill-effects.
    Turn the clock to Monday morning. After only 4 hours sleep I woke up ready to take my new bike out on the trails. Ken Burton was on the menu. Drank some coffee, ate a banana and out the door I went. Usually I slam a full bottle of water on the way to the trail head, this day, I did not.
    Parked and got out to get my stuff ready and immediately began to sweat. It was really humid in Pasadena(90%)
    I had a 2 bottles of water on the bike, but I didn't drink anything before the ride. Off I went.
    The 7 mile uphill to the trail head was brutal! I've been on the road bike, but I just couldn't seem to get going. My legs felt dead, the sweat was pouring off of me-my shirt and shorts were drenched! Oblivious me charged on. At the top, I figured out something wasn't quite right. Ate a bar, sat down to rest, drank a whole bottle of water right there. At this point I had figured out my problem.
    Slight headache, nausea, little shaky, pee bright yellow, almost cramping.....I knew I was dehydrated. I still had 7 miles to go either way, and one full bottle, so it was still conservation time.
    Back down the way I came. I stopped once and took a knee...man this was not good! I made it back to the car and began to chug fluids.
    At home, I couldn't eat, but I was forcing myself to down fluids. I had powdered Gatorade so I used that, diluted, and water, and some Endurolyte pills. Still took several hours until my urine was nearly clear again.

Lesson of the story: Stay hydrated every day, all day. What you did yesterday can come back and bite you on the ass the next.

herzalot, kioti, BeckTrex and 15 others like this.
  2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Glad your okay, when the weather gets hotter I use Smart Water in my Camebak. It's seems to be better than plain water.

Mikie and rossage like this.
  3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Some people say coffee in the morn is no help either....

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Recent studies have shown that coffee is not the diuretic that we all thought it was. Newer studies may show it is!
    I really think my problem was the water-rationing I did the day before. Combine that with my new bike enthusiasm and some high humidity and it was on. What was weird was that it was not really even hot out-just humid.

Danmtchl, UPSed, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Or you just could have had a bad day. :(

Humidity.....whether hot, warm or cool, dehydrates us.

herzalot, Danmtchl, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There is no riding without coffee. :stop: A 3 espresso minimum is for my safety and the safety of all those around me.

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It could have been a one-off bad day, like J says... But you're absolutely correct in that the events of the days and weeks before affect us. I'm presently in "getting ready for Temecula" mode. For me, this means eating better for the weeks leading up to the event, as well as drinking more fluids. I'm drinking a lot of water and green tea now... Lots of green veggies, pots of broccoli, low fat turkey, fish, and avoiding the Sprouts chocolate chip cookies on the counter. Bad Cookie! My one vice that I won't give up during this time is the coffee...

I don't care what I weigh so much going into the 12 Hours, but I know that I'll do better with a few weeks of over hydration, healthier eating, etc...

Edit:I know that most of you guys know the ins and outs of preparation. For me, this is still a relatively new road. I'm throwing it out there for the guys who are where I was just a short time ago... Fat, slow and lazy!

herzalot, kioti, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Watch out for over hydration, called hyponatremia. You can inadvertently dilute your body's electrolytes and cause problems that way.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You made the right call turning around. Glad you are better.
    Part of my new diet was buying a new scale that shows my percentage of body water (amongst other things). I know it's not exact but it is a good reference. My awesome Chiropractor told me I must be hydrating better as he could tell as he aligned my body.
    I shoot for 57% Body Water on that scale. For a $45 buck investment, that was the best thing I could do to make sure I stay focused on hydration. I encourage everyone to get one.

10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I can relate Ross. It's a bad feeling for sure. It happened to me the only time I rode Tapia, 95 degree day and I ran low on water. It was the same day that rider died out in Palm canyon 3-4 yrs ago.

Danmtchl, rossage and Mikie like this.
  11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    It hasn't happened to me in many years, though I have seen it occur to others on the trails. Just shows how a combination of events and a little complacency can sneak up and bite you on the ass (like @Mikie )

herzalot, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  12. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I don't think that conserving is necessarily the best thing.
    When you stopped to rest, I think you should drink all the water you need; even all of it.
    That may be what you need to get going back.

kioti, Danmtchl, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    True Dat! I have felt body slammed and never even saw it coming. Kah-POW!

Danmtchl likes this.