Starting to Ride More

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by 98muted, Jan 19, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. 98muted

98muted Member

Name:
    Forest
    Originally found the place to get info on local trails (OC), and have been starting to ride a lot more, I'm sure COVID has helped.

I've been riding around 4 years, although spent time on rentals at bike parks growing up. I mostly ride Laguna/Aliso/San Clemente, with 2 or 3 weeks in Park City every summer. My big current dilemma is that I'm looking to move on from my 2017 Canyon Spectral AL but it's tough sledding getting a bike right now.

I've been drooling over the new Transition Sentinel for a while, but looks like I'm out of luck for the next couple of months for one of those. Now, I'm reconsidering if I need a big bike at all, and I have a lead on a Transition Spur which is a stupidly good looking bike with pretty incredible reviews. I would say I'm gravitating towards longer rides with more climbing, and I know it would be the perfect bike for Park City, just wondering if it's going to leave me wanting a little more in Laguna and Aliso.

Looking forward to posting here more,

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yazzz!
    Welcome to the fringe @98muted !
    Hope we get to ride together soon!

:thumbsup: Mikie from... well, I'm not really sure where I'm from anymore... Antelope Valley?

3. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Mikie the gypsy.....

Welcome, sounds like you still have a decent bike to fulfill your duties while you wait.

RIGID, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Welcome aboard.

Distance/climbing guy here. I’m in the boat bike bikes aren’t necessary around here. You can do a lot on 120-130mm rigs.

I’ve only ridden San Clemente 2 or 3x, but it was on the SS.

RIGID and Mikie like this.
  5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Welcome! I can not recommend the Spur highly enough, while at the same time sharing your lust for the Sentinel. The Spur is surprisingly capable, and when my big bike was out of commission for a month I ended up easily riding it in places I wouldn't have otherwise taken it to. That said, if you drive to Park City via St. George there is a shop there with a couple handfuls of Sentinels. He's not too inclined to ship (per vendor agreement), which may be a blessing in disguise for me.

herzalot, Mikie, RIGID and 2 others like this.
  6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Welcome @98muted. I'd love to have a spur myself...:thumbsup:

BFE...:Roflmao:p:confused:

RIGID, herzalot, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  7. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I think 130 front 120 rear might be the go to bike for OC... climbing and descending..
    balancing all the pros and cons... if you can have two bikes than ripmo AND ripley...

Mikie, 98muted and mtnbikej like this.
  8. 98muted

98muted Member

Name:
    Forest
    I wish you had stopped at not recommending the Spur enough! I actually talked to Salt Cycles out there, and they had an X01 Sentinel that is hard to say no to, but I have no idea when I'll be driving out next, I usually fly during ski season. Rode Aliso this morning and the Deluxe RT on my Spectral just seems off....I have taken the air out and cycled it and have it at 30% sag and it just feels like there is no suppleness to it. Pretty much just fueling my fire for NBD. Leaning towards trying to demo a Spur in the next week or two. As long as it doesn't feel sketchy down T&A and the likes, I think it might be the way to go

herzalot, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Or, "da AV".

Mikie likes this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Cough "Revel Ranger Brunch Ride" Cough

On the other hand, good luck getting one of those anytime soon also. :(

11. 98muted

98muted Member

Name:
    Forest
    Would love to try one out, have ridden a Rascal, and while it's a really good bike, I would rather the Ranger or if they made a Rail 29. Still mad at COVID for Outerbike being cancelled, was planning on attending and using that to demo everything. It seems more and more that if you want a new bike right now, you may have to take what you can get

herzalot, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Well Mikie were not in Canada anymore

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 9.07.09 PM.png

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?