St. George, UT

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by UPSed, Jan 17, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer and I will be going to St. George next month for our honeymoon. Yes I know. I am a lucky man. We are trying to gather info from any of you that have been there. We'll have two full days of riding so we want to hit all of the must rides. At this point we have no interest in going to Gooseberry.

Also any suggestions on where to stay and eat would be much appreciated.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Mikie and UPSed like this.
  3. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    My wife and I really liked Guacamole Trail. It's kind of like Gooseberry though so...

4. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    There are a ton of trails on the west side of St. George north of the freeway. I rode Zen and Bearclaw Poppi. Zen was fun. Bearclaw was overrated in my opinion. There's a bunch more trails around there that I didn't get a chance to sample.

5. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    One more thought/comment: Download the MTB Project app and use their website. Lots of great intel and the app helps a ton with navigation.

Mikie, Bluesrider and UPSed like this.
  6. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I spent 4 days riding St George this past September, I found the trails in St George to be incredibly fun and plenty of stuff to ride without driving over to gooseberry. Mtbproject is a awesome app, easy to follow and gives you all the directions to get to trailhead and works while on the trails to follow along. Re: Bearclaw poppy, yeah it's overrated, the others trail are more fun and offer spectacular views.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Prospector - Church Rock is a fun intermediate loop north of St. George, just off the 15. http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/churchrk.htm
    Prospector has a hike a bike down an escarpment - not too sketchy though. I rode most of it - except the initial move. The rest of Prospector is just flowy fun as far as I remember. Not much climbing or descending. Church Rock includes some fun slickrock sections and cool scenery.

Of course, Hurricane Rim and a bunch of stuff in the Hurricane area provides a lot of fun for intermediate to advanced riders.

Then there are these cliffs in Virgin where a bunch of aliens have built "mt. bike" lines with huge drops, hucks and cliffs. Feel free to try these too!

SoCal_Rider, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    In addition to the advice here, I would stop by Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane and pose the question there. There may be new trails or closures to be aware of.

Congrats to you and your bride on a great start to a lifelong adventure, Ed. Not luck, really. As ye sow, so shall ye reap...ya done some good sowing somewhere along the line, pal. Good on you both :thumbsup:

herzalot, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Do you kids need a Chaperone? :laugh:

herzalot, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Hell yeah!

Mikie and doublewide like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is definitely a @Maddog question. he is the king of all things known in St. George and is an EXCELLENT trail guide!
    Check out our trip to St. George in the ride reports... (I'll look it up as soon as I get the chance!)

UPSed likes this.
  12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    So far we are staying at Inn on the Cliff. It is a honeymoon after all. I contacted Red Rock Bicycle Company. We will be stopping by there to get some can't miss trails recommendations.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. Keep the suggestions coming!

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  13. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    when you go through vegas blue diamond has fun stuff also

UPSed likes this.
  14. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Dang! No pressure there Mikie:confused:! I have been there a lot during spring break but never in February. I'd reconsider Gooseberry Ed. IMHO it's the best riding area there but in Feb it could have snow on the trails (it's above 5,000 ft.) and/or sticky, slimy, impassable mud on the access road which makes it impossible to get to! The JEM trail system at the base of Gooseberry is very good with a network of buff single track with lots of loop options. Mud and snow could be issues there too. Prospector/Church Rocks is good as mentioned above and is sandy so mud should not be a problem. Bear Claw Poppy is just ok but is close to town. I have not ridden Zen or any of the newer trails but I've heard there are some very good ones also close to town. There's another area by the reservoir between I-15 and Hurricane that somebody posted here but I can't remember the name. The local shops are good and will know what it is and what the mud conditions are everywhere.

I love the utahmountainbiking.com site! Great, printable maps (I have no gadgets:geek:), route descriptions and trail head directions. When a few of us were there last June, we ate at the sports bar near Cracker Barrel and it was good. Kind of like BJ's. scan took us to the Cafe Rio which was excellent! That was the only good Mexican food I've ever had in Utah! Hope you two kids have fun :whistling: and that it does not rain for several days before your arrival and during your stay. That mud will stifle any riding except Prospector! If there's mud, you might as well go to Vegas and hit Cottonwood and Bootleg; or stay in St. George for other activities:rolleyes:!

herzalot, Mikie, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Gooseberry mud ruined my 2003 Audi Allroad.

We made an attempt to get there after a spring-time snow/rain shower. Four adults and four bikes. My car had adjustable ride height affording up to 10" of clearance. I slipped and slid down the initial part of the access road and thought "this is not good...How are we going to get out of here?" There were already two abandoned vehicles along the road - stuck in the mud. When I approached a huge puddle of unknown depth, the boys and I surmised the situation, and wisely said "not worth it." We turned around and drove out. We were dragging bottom and sliding the whole way out, but somehow made it up the hill and back to the road. We returned to Over the Edge and asked for recommendation, and they sent us to JEM network. That worked well.

After riding, we hit the carwash and did all we could to get the Utah red clay off the bottom of my car. Over the next year, I had to replace a wide variety of suspension and drivetrain parts, and was still pulling red clay out of the undercarriage. Hooray for the Audi for getting us out of there, but it gave its life for it.

Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.
  16. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Fixed it....

Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.
  17. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name: