St. George / Hurricane

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtbMike, Oct 7, 2018.

1. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    So I've been told by three people to put this in ride reports instead of "I rode my bike today" so here it is. Day 3 was a big one for @pperrelle, Andy and I. We woke to completely cloudy skies with a 0% chance of rain after it rained for several hours last night. The Boy Scout trails and Church Rocks are supposed to be the go to spots for 'wet' days so that's were we headed. We started out at the Boy Scout system and rode up and more or less had our rear ends handed to us. It was even rougher and chunkier than I remember but we got up and down Cub Scout unscathed but after that, we lost the *correct* trail. Even after calling the shop for some guidance, we ended up at the bottom of 'Wash' but the recent rains blew out the connection so we circled back to the truck and drove over to Church Rocks. It was pure heaven over there and we had a blast even though it was packed with NINE cars in the lot at 10 am!! After lunch, we took on Zen and it was my favorite day of the week. The trail system transitions, rocks, climbs & drops were a great taste for the new Yeti SB5 and it rocked!! Off to ride JEM in the morning...

fullsizeoutput_938.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_936.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_93b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_93c.jpeg

xurYUXn1RW2JPn9eZqO01g.jpg

mS4x3vS3R7SC65RwrpRr9A.jpg

2. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Yep, as @mtbMike said, we did the trifecta today. 3 areas in one day. The temps were nice and cool and the dirt was tacky from the rain yesterday. Church Rocks and Zen were awesome! Church Rocks was fast and flowy with some fun tech tossed in. Zen is just Zen. A good climb to the top was followed by a fun sometime flowy, sometime techy descent. I’m definitely looking forward to coming back and riding here again. So, in 4 days we hit Guacamole, Gooseberry,Boy Scout, Church Rocks, Zen and will wrap up the trip with Jem in the morning before heading back. Great trails with awesome views.

View from the top of Zen
    38299A33-3E4A-4F93-94BF-44C5E392F94A.jpeg

I though the small sign was pretty cool

C22A8569-3891-4162-8956-19D3FBC50237.jpeg 87EC5253-A59C-4EE2-A3B4-0B9FE85DDD94.jpeg

A roller that we all hit for fun

70B62948-27E8-419A-8FAB-978D307A8B3E.jpeg C0F21489-BA6B-4638-8493-03D58CB0C3E8.jpeg B91528A5-A525-446C-BFD2-B1DA7150AD1B.jpeg

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Awwwww.... I’m so proud of you guys doing up a ride report. The reason why is if posted on “I rode my bike” it gets lost in hundreds of posts. This way it can much more easily can be found in the future. Epic rides with epic pics deserve a post of their own. Thanks Hooligan rockstahs!

DangerDirtyD, UPSed, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  4. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    JEM is a real GEM!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  5. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Nice. Dead Ringer is also fun and right next to JEM.

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  6. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Got out to JEM and unfortunately had to deal with a less than ideal headwind coming back down the trail but it wasn't so strong that it zapped our speed too much. We just had to pedal more than I prefer through that section. The closer we got to Virgin, the better is got and the entire trail was hero dirt due to rain 36 hours before. A nice wrap up to a great 4 day trip!!

@pperrelle coming down JEM with Gooseberry Mesa in the background
    EGJ5p%ZgSPqbEgws%M+xKQ.jpg
    Farther down JEM on the edge above the river
    fullsizeoutput_948.jpeg
    Paul and Andy heading up Dead Ringer
    fullsizeoutput_949.jpeg
    Paul ringing the bell up top
    G2uuNn3QSaq%QYQnNf3TdA.jpg
    Paul posing on the switchback heading down into JEM
    AMIusSmWSwSbX%t89W0r3A.jpg

7. pperrelle

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    As @scan said, Jem is a Gem. Fun, fast and flowy. We woke up early and hit Jem before jumping in the truck for the 7 hour drive home. Hero dirt from the recent rain. We only saw a handful of other riders on the trail. It was a great 4 days of riding. Tried to hook up with @Cougar , but unfortunately schedules didn’t mesh.

744D9898-6565-4324-B38C-804075D9789F.jpeg 685E72B0-E52E-4BA8-874A-F4961F026DE9.jpeg 2AADCAE1-8487-45BA-9A96-527A40BC32CF.jpeg

AndyL, Stkx66, Old&InTheWay and 18 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Nice...

That does it. You've pushed me over the edge. I'm going in March! :D

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  9. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    For their MTB Festival?

For those of you that have always contemplated going out to the St George/Hurricane area, their 2019 festival is March 29-31. Even with the festival, the number of riders you'll see on the trails is a micro-fraction of what you'll see on any weekend day at Aliso/Laguna.

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    The True Grit Epic is on March 9. Still debating on the kids' ride or the big kids' ride.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

That’s why I’m staying through Monday....get 2 extra days of riding.

12. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    So sorry that we couldn't hookup this weekend! My out of town visitor (same weekend /shakesfist) really threw a wrench in my plans/availability.

Glad the weekend wasn't totally lost with the storm that came through on Saturday - thankfully the terrain out here is pretty rain resilient :)

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Just don't try driving the access road to Gooseberry after a rain or a wet snow. Ask me how I know.

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Was that your dead Audi you posted somewhere here at some time in the past???

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Yeah. The clay killed off the suspension components of my 2003 Allroad over time. Axles, joints, etc. It did the job and got us (4 large adults and 4 bikes) out of there when others were completely stuck. I had adjustable air suspension that could raise the car to 10" of ground clearance, but we were still dragging through the foot deep ruts and muck. The air suspension also took a hit from the clay. I finally gave up on the car and traded it in for my current ride back in 2009.

16. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Will be there a week from Thurs. Thanks Mike. Hope we get good weather too! Did you climb dead ringer and make it a loop with Jem!

17. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Yes. Easy stuff, lower intermediate trail in my opinion. The only difficult section for many are the switchback drops at the top of JEM. To be clear, we park at the Virgin TH off of Sheep Bridge Rd, ride out JEM to and up Dead Ringer and then back. If you just want to add mileage and get some good views, you can circle More Cowbell up on the mesa. It's a green trail.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Or do Goulds/Jem/Hurricane Rim loop. You can add in some of the other trails in the JEM area to that loop.

Tom the Bomb, pperrelle and mtbMike like this.
  19. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Further evidence that we are polar opposites. That’s my least favorite ride out there. I did it once in 2011 or 12 and won’t bother doing so again.

pperrelle and LLPoolJ like this.
  20. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    So it was an out and back?

mtbMike, pperrelle and hill^billy like this.
  21. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    I’ve done Jem, I believe it’s an out and back.

pperrelle likes this.
  22. pperrelle

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    More of a lollipop. Jem is one way towards the top so you hit Dead Ringer to take you to the beginning.

Tom the Bomb, hill^billy and mtbMike like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    pperrelle likes this.
  24. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Others have answered but I will add that since you were looking for "tech", JEM is not that. It may be the easiest trail out there except for one switchback at the top. It is however a great way to end the trip without working too hard.

25. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    It’s all good! All good!

26. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    If/when I ever make out there, I want the best trails for the sights because I would be stopping as often as possible to take pics and take it all in (smell the rides). A sort of soul cleansing, soul watering. That is what the trip would be to me.

What trails are suggested for that sort of POV? 15-20 miles at a shot is sufficient.

Tom the Bomb and mtbMike like this.
  27. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Well, my view is probably jaded since I've been there so many times but while the area is impressive for us from SoCal, it doesn't compare to Sedona or Moab. That being said, Gooseberry Mesa is probably the best and is the "crown jewel" ride as well. I think I remember you like to camp and that's the best place to camp as well plus it has very nice pit toilets in a couple of areas. If you arrive on any day but Friday or Saturday, you can probably get a spot as close to the rim as you dare and that will provide the most epic views. Most people ride the standard Gooseberry loop and call it a day but there's a good 3 days of riding up there if you want to hit it all. There are shots in every direction since it's so high compared to everything else. On the "backside" of GM is Wire Mesa which also has awesome views towards Zion (see @schillingsworth previous RR's....him and evdog take great shots)

Little Creek Mesa has some great views of Gooseberry Mesa as you ride the rim on the NW side of the trail system and the Guacamole Mesa area is the closest to Zion to has some great shots in that direction. If you had time and wanted to drive 60+ minutes away, which you won't on your 1st trip out there, the Thunder Mountain trail right outside Bryce Canyon has phenomenal scenery...plus you'll be stopping several times in your car to take shots because it's sooooo different than anything else in the area.

You could also go into Zion National Park after riding a half day to get some killer shots.

Looking across to Gooseberry Mesa from Little Creek
    IMG_0677.JPG
    Looking towards Zion from the road out of Gooseberry Mesa at the end of the day
    IMG_2069.JPG

Tom the Bomb, herzalot, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  28. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    To bad your jaded, it’s all good! Even Prospector! I will be just as happy to hit anything out there with good company!

29. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Well, Prospector does have the best view of Interstate 15 so there's that. It does have some great red rock views when the sun is out though. @pperrelle took several shots out there at Church Rocks.

Tom the Bomb, LLPoolJ and hill^billy like this.