St George Day 2: Riding the Goose w/ Rich and Jeff

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Apr 23, 2015.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Day 2:

The must ride of the area......Gooseberry Mesa :clap:

My wife wasn't feeling very good after her spill the night before so she opted out of this one. So it was just the guys.

Had been almost 2 years since I had been out there last, and the parking area had been upgraded quite a bit.
    Goose1.JPG

The view were amazing in every direction
    Goose2.JPG

The sled I would be riding all week
    Goose3.JPG

For those who don't know what the Goose is....picture Moab on a much small scale. Sandstone riding with a bit of dirt trail.

Short and steep ups. Short and punchy. Think you are a strong climber, a strong technical climber....this trail will put you to the test

Jeff wondering where are we going? Follow the white dots
    Goose4.JPG

Yours truely :ugeek:
    Goose5.JPG

What up, Bro?
    Goose6.JPG

We started off on South Rim....and since we are on a mesa....there are sides....overlooking Hwy 59
    Goose7.JPG

Selfie to send to my wife :mrgreen:
    Goose9.JPG

Punchy climb after punchy climb....the traction on the sandstone is ridiculous....like riding on 20 grit sandpaper. If you can pedal, the tire will hook up.

Out at the end of South Rim is the Point. Nice view from both sides
    Goose8.JPG
    Goose10.JPG
    Goose2.JPG

Headed back down South Rim....fun out and back. Took the detour to Hidden Canyon....best trail out there. More punchy climbs, but a bigger mix of dirt trail and rocks in between the sandstone sections....but the sandstone sections are tougher and much more fun in here.

Crossed the White Trail and headed over to North Rim. More of the same until we got to the overlook at the start of Windmill Trail

Windmill Trail is a more traditional trail....not as many sandstone sections, with a bit of fire road to loop back around.

Back down North Rim and back to the parking lot.

Mesa miles are tough. We knocked out 16 miles/900' of climbing.....but it felt like 2x the mileage and 5x the elevation.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.strava.com/activities/289488566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.strava.com/activities/289488566</a>

Goose1.JPG

Goose2.JPG

Goose3.JPG

Goose4.JPG

Goose5.JPG

Goose6.JPG

Goose7.JPG

Goose9.JPG

Goose8.JPG

Goose10.JPG

Goose11.JPG

Goose13.JPG

Goose14.JPG

Goose15.JPG

Goose16.JPG

Goose17.JPG

Goose18.JPG

Goose21.JPG

Screenshot (19).png

Varaxis and Mikie like this.
  2. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Big thumps up for sharing and posting these beautiful pics !!! Thank you !

Mikie likes this.
  3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Nice! I was there a few years back, got caught in a wicked downpour. Before that tho, my bud threw his gloves off that bluff....and they blew right back up to him!

Gonna hit Grafton while you're there?... or JEM?

Mikie likes this.
  4. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    That place looks awesome. /jealous

Mikie likes this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Trust the dots, Luke...

Great RR and pics. Thanks!

Fun type of riding that every MtBer should experience. But do NOT try that access road when it is saturated. 4 adults, 4 bikes in my Audi Allroad and we barely got out of there with AWD and 10.5" of ground clearance. The clay stuck in my suspension and drivetrain for a year and ruined most of the moving parts under the car.

Mikie likes this.
  6. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I could guess from the leftover tire ruts in that road that it would be a nightmare to drive when wet. Sounds like you got the full Goose experience. I bet that was stressful at the time. Getting stuck sucks.

Mikie likes this.
  7. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Hidden Canyon was probably my favorite trail on the Goose. Although the views on the rim trails are amazing.

Mikie likes this.