SRAM lawsuits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RS VR6, Feb 8, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oh no! Another big bad corporation suing smaller companies over perceived infringement on intellectualand patented products. Put them on the ban list with Specialized. I will NEVER EVER buy anything from these corporations again.
    I'm so cool....

SoCal_Rider, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    SRAM is an acronym for EVIL

Danmtchl, Mikie and rossage like this.
  4. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I'm gonna machine all my own Sh!t from now on, I ain't player these f@ckers games no more...evil money machines

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  5. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    Back when Wolftooth first came out with their N/W chainring, I was wondering how they were getting away with it. I figured Sram must of filed patents. I have no problem with a company defending their designs. For instance, I would have no problem if SpecialEd sued a company for using the FSR design without paying the licensing fees. What makes SpecialEd a douche' company for me is not them protecting their intellectual property, it's them stealing intellectual property and trying to crush and extort anyone that they can with zero phuqs given to the damage they are doing to hard working shops. i.e. Stans vs Specialized and Specialized vs Cafe Roubaix. http://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...ver-specializeds-roubaix-lawsuit#.VrlHeYWIbqA

I'm sure Ross you'd feel different about Specialized if they decided to pick a fight with your shop for whatever reason that they could come up with.

And as for Sram, I'm a huge fan of Race Face and ran their cranks on almost every one of my bikes since the 90's but I do think Sram is in the right.

6. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    So far Chromag is the only one that licensed the X-Sync from SRAM. I think the way the other guys try to get away with their narrow wide design is to slightly change the teeth profile. I have an XX1 ring along with a Raceface and a couple others. The XX1 does seem to have the beefiest teeth compared to the rest.

Seems like SRAM did all the work...and now other companies are benefiting without having to compensate them. It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Danmtchl, rojomas and Mikie like this.
  7. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    I think you're right. I don't know how a company can change the design of a N\W chainring enough to avoid patent infringement.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The Cafe Roubaix fiasco was solved with a handshake from Specialized's owner.
    Why must you guys continue to beat a dead horse?
    I really don't care who is suing who. I ride what I want without regard to perceived moral crimes.
    I'm sure you would be of a different mind if Intense sued you!

Mikie, rojomas and Danmtchl like this.
  9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    If SRAM patented their N/W chainrings, well then all others are in violation of their patent. SRAM is just protecting its patents and investments. Nothing wrong with that. Need to buy up all the NW chainrings I can find now. Now Specialized is a different story. They bully companies like Cafe Roubauix to change their name so know one gets confused with the Roubaix bike or the bike shop. The evil red S also forced Revelate Designs to change it name from Epic Designs because consumers might get confused between the two. A bag and a bike..... confused, really. Sinyard had to save face because Fuji called him out on who owns the rights to the name Roubaix. He did not want to, he had to because of all the flack he was getting.

riiz, Cyclotourist and rojomas like this.
  10. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    because you brought it up with your, "Oh no! Another big bad corporation suing smaller companies over perceived infringement on intellectualand patented products. Put them on the ban list with Specialized. I will NEVER EVER buy anything from these corporations again.
    I'm socool...." comment.
    If they did, yes I would but they're not known for frivolous lawsuits and I'm not a small business owner so I'm not worried about it.

11. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Stock up before the prices get jacked up!

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  12. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Stock up now or buy them from companies that are abroad. Not sure if SRAM can do anything about Europe and Asia.

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I won't complain if SpEd sues someone over a technology they developed.
    Just not the name of their shop/cafe/bags.

Mikie, Danmtchl and rojomas like this.
  14. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    There was an old farm equipment cog design that has an expired patent. They were claiming that allowed use of that design.

Danmtchl, UPSed, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    soapbox.jpg
    Just for conversation purposes...

Unfortunately. Not until after so much significant heat came from the public that it shamed him in to some common sense. It was a political move on Specialized part...

Cuzzzz it aint dead...
    90% of it for me is because I think a product should stand on it's own, and Specialized continues to leverage LBS's to remove product from their shops if the LBS wants to include Specialized merchandise. That is wrong.
    What happened to freedom of choice, the spirit of competition (competition drives DOWN prices, increases product quality and performance)? Forcing a monopoly speaks volumes that a company can not or chooses not to compete on a fair playing field.
    I think Specialized makes awesome products, but I want to have choices and choices are good for the consumer. I DO have choices by going somewhere else, why leverage a small business to force a narrower band of customer appeal and attraction?
    I hate that company because of that. Yes, I used the word hate... They are the glass tower, the corporate, the over-dawg. The king of the heap doing everything possible to squash their competition. I get that. Do it by making a better product, not by pulling the rug out from under the struggling business owner.

10% is just because it's fun to razz my buds that ride their Sh!t. ;)

I think most folk are for Specialized suing for patent infringement. I know I am on their side... I would support them regardless of who they were suing. If you didn't invent it, either you pay to copy, or come up with a better idea. Fair is fair.
    In regards to perceived moral crimes... Hmmm, not sure there is a higher road regarding this. They make good stuff. I just choose to ride an equal brand that I can be proud of.

But to get back on track with this post...
    I have products that I am designing and prototyping in my shop, and one of the biggest fears I have is a larger unscrupulous company or other country swooping in and stealing it. The patent system does not favor those with a small budget. You have to prove someone stole your idea and most perpetrating companies can just out-wait you till you run out of money. I believe that there should be a organized world wide patent system to protect those that dream and build...
    Everyone deserves that protection and opportunity to succeed...

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Ha ha ha. Take the troll bait!
    Every time....it's like creamed corn to trout....
    Get steamed and wait for the diarrhea of the brain.
    Bring on another horse fellas, this one's still dead.

17. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    10000213_23_500_557.jpg

18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Still dead so sue me.

19. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Gandalf lives!!!

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ha hah!
    @rossage will never be a Troll... until you become a Troll o_O Wait, What?

You guys still think this is somewhere else...
    My Lawyer can beat Your Lawyer up!
    Have I said anything that is not true?

Oh and Gandalf rocks some serious VAPOR, but he is a total BOGART!
    You... Shall Not PASS!!!!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and jaime like this.
  21. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The thing with SRAM is they did not make a 104 BCD 4 bolt chainring till of late. So everybody and their brother came up with one, to fill that market. So if these companies finally pay to license the products, which I hope they do, It will keep the prices down and availability high.

Mikie likes this.
  22. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Garbaruk jacked up their price by about $5 too. Still the least expensive it seems though.

23. Go SRAM !!! If you feel others are stealing your intellectual property, then file every lawsuit imaginable to keep the thieves at bay cause they'll steal your dog and cat if you let them! Individual property rights guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution thanks to the genius of the founding fathers! They didn't have iPhones yet they were millions of times smarter than all of us COMBINED!!! Go SRAM!

StrandLeper, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  24. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    @Mikie boss !!! That video made my day, serious.... ;)

Danmtchl, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Could I have the address of your shop please? I'll keep it secret - I promise!

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  26. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    It looks like specialized got thier logo idea from someone else. I guess the copyright ran out...

image.png

image.jpeg

Cyclotourist, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Nice one RX!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?