Spoke tension question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ricekrispyota, Oct 31, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    I came home last night and found that all of the spokes on one side of my front wheel lost tension (Could've been because my bike was hit by a car while leaned up against the wall in the garage, which also broke the stanchion on my fork). Does this mean the wheel is toast or can I just re-tension the spokes and call it good?

Thanks

~JB~, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It really depends.

Is the wheel straight?

Sometimes the wheel can go out of true, but still be able to retension and true the wheel.

You can try tightening up the spokes on the loose side. Keep an eye out for whether the wheel dish stay where it is supposed to be.

However, if you hit it hard enough to break the fork....chances are the wheel is done as well.

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD, Grego and 4 others like this.
  3. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    old bike
    That is an impressive amount of force to break a stanchion. I suppose if you applied the force directly on the stanchion it could crack/bend without the wheel absorbing too much permanently deforming force while it flexes but since your description suggests the wheel does seem like it is bent over then it suggests enough force was applied to the wheel to at least stretch the spokes. Lots of bad stuff can happen in the future after that much force is applied.

Of course, it is possible the wheel just got bent out of true and not the whole rim pushed over to one side. Or a lousy wheel build and it just loosened up not necessarily related to this incident. If indeed it did get pushed over more or less uniformly to one side I'd not trust it. Sounds to me like it might be terminal if I understand your description correctly.

4. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    Well, the wheel is toast. Even with all the spokes all tight, it’s still got 1-1.5” of side wobble. Thanks for the words of advice, fellas.

5. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    That sucks. Did you get the plate number of the car that hit the bike?

I know, I’m not helping. Good luck with finding a nice replacement. Any other unrepairable damage? :(

~JB~, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.