Spent a Week in Virgin, Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by SoCal_Rider, Apr 4, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Just got back from a week of RV camping in Virgin, UT with the family. A few of my riding buddies came up too for the first few days so I could do some faster paced, technical rides.

Day 1 started with Guacamole trail, not too far from our campground. This was a great intro to technical "pops and drops" slick rock riding.
    56dd0749e3fb3b19605f85be0d9776ce.jpg

In the evening we were still feeling good, so we knocked out a bunch of trails on the JEM trail system. This shot is of Dead Ringer.
    f6b05a50ac76c398116303503f5b74c4.jpg

Day 2 was Gooseberry Mesa. What an awesome ride. Very technical. My upper body was sore the next day.
    Shot of my buddies at The Point.
    b20a0e0b9d4d07dce3e55c82a7557b2f.jpg

This one is of Hidden Canyon. Make sure to ride this trail.
    363dd64cd2ebc5777ec5e4bd14baf80a.jpg

Day 3 was departure day for my friends. They only had time for a short ride. We drove down to St. George and rode Zen trail. Then they headed home.
    5104a1f370321fb2ee3ad79bed9a35da.jpg

My wife met me in St. George and we rode Bearclaw Poppy. The only picture I took of BP was of this cool public bicycle repair station at the trailhead. A lot of the websites recommend this trail, but to me it's not worth it. There were a ton of kids rocking Wallyworld bikes on the trail. It is a great ride for young teens. I even saw a couple rocking Townies on this trail. The only positive take away was my wife doing the big drops. She's really getting to be a good riding partner.
    35c1ecd9d6b24f9f4c9b551a892ddefb.jpg

Day 4 was Gooseberry Mesa again, but this time I took my wife and son. We rode the intermediate trails on the north side. They were able to ride most of them, but they were wiped out by the time we got to The Point, so we took the double track back.

Here's my son doing a pretty big roller near The Point. He said Gooseberry was his new favorite place to ride. He really rode better than I've ever seen him ride.
    26284c2fce16c57a0087a3bf727c7bb6.jpg6a34ac6dd4f478cf82193003030aaeb6.jpg

The evening of Day 4 I took the whole family, including my girls and parents, to ride Prospector trail. It sounded like a good ride in a pretty, red rock area. We made it 1.5 mi out and the "wheels fell off the cart." Too technical for mom and dad. My niece hit some sand and crashed in a prickly bush. My daughter hated every minute of it. I decided to cut my losses and we headed straight back. I've learned my lesson. Only fireroads from now on for the family rides. :(

Day 5 was Guacamole trail with the wife and kid. My wife loves this trail. The "pops and drops" aren't quite as harsh as Gooseberry.
    bf817bacddd8be1d1c73d23e0904af28.jpg67f076097c97ff5e9a81f5125b9822f4.jpgea7bb06433f25e943a13769123c6b36e.jpg

I had a great week of riding in Virgin. I got to ride everything I planned and some of it twice. The weather was perfect all week.

There are still a ton of trails I didn't get to ride in the area, so I think another trip is in order. Maybe next year.

Faust29 and ridinrox like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Niiice! After riding Gooseberry Mesa, your wife and son will rip the local trails like never before!

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    A bunch of my favorite 'trails." I put trails in quotes because it's more like series of dots on rock. I LOVED Prospector to Church Rocks and back on Prospector, but what we enjoy as experienced cyclists is often a horrible ordeal for the un-initiated.

Nice ride report! :thumbup:

4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Great time! Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Prospector is a good one, to bad you couldn't finish it, great scenery for sure. I'm longing to get up to Utah! :cool:

6. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Great report and pics! Makes me want to go back there for a re-visit!
    Thanks for sharing...

7. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Newbie

Name:
    Al Garcia
    Nice!!! I just got back from the area myself. I was there last weekend. I rode Guacamole, Jem trail, some of the tougher stuff on Gooseberry and Prospector/Church Rock. Awesome riding for sure. Gooseberry in particular was a bit over my skill level, so I had to hike a bike a bit. But oh man, so much fun!!!

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Man alive I got to go ride this stuff! As of yet, I have not and this report makes me want to just load up and hit the road.... Thanks!

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    ^^^^What Mikie said. I have got to take my bike out there; I love this area.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I am heading out there in 2 weeks....woohoo!!!!!

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Gloating is not seemly!! :cry: Some of use must wait longer. But report back and let us know how it went.

12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Yea! ...like a lot longer! .........DAFT!
    Anyway, have a great time MtnBikeJ!

13. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
    Are there actual trail markings on Gooseberry? Seems like a collection of boulders and rock features to play around on, which looks fun too.

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yes, the trail along the rock areas are marked with white dots....follow them. You can always venture off the dotted line, but stay close....it is easy to lose the dotted line.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?