Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp 29'R. 2016

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by dustyyoungblood, Nov 3, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Tags:
  1. The $2900 MSRP version in Green.
    Available for rental and on sale new for $2200 at Rock and Rock right now while they last

I am 5'11-3/4" and 235 lb and rode a large.
    Geometry was a good fit. The reach was at a more traditional length than the newer enduro style trail bikes that are all +1 or 2 inches in reach.

I rode Whiting Ranch and the Luge on this bike.
    Riding was fun, handling was nimble, Felt very comfortable. Climbs fine, gets good traction over rocking stuff when climbing. It had been a long time since I road an FSR bike, and on this model I think it's lost some of the designs "active suspension under braking" characteristics. For $2200 its a wicked good budget bike. It's built with a RockShox Revelation RC3 29, Solo Air spring, 140mm travel and a Custom FOX FLOAT Evolution CTD. In the price of this bike I don't think you could get better suspension components, however this set does limit it's performance somewhat as we all know.

Frame: The rear end does have some flex or sway and also some noticeable flex in the non boost budget wheel set.

Feel: the rear end uses 135mm of travel, but it rides more like a 100mm bike. Sag was proper for my weight, and booking down the luge I never bottom out although the ride was harsh when the bumps are stacking up mid way through the travel. So I think the leverage is designed to ramp very significantly limiting its useable trail travel. That or damper tune is off. None the less, it rides under its class which might be fine for most people, but I personally like a more linear feel that uses 80-90% of travel at speed on luge.

Components: The group set all worked great, the brakes were even enough for my fat ass. The droper post sucks. so consider that an upgrade to save for if you are buying this model.

Conclusion. I think it works exactly as intended, as a general trail bike for the masses. If all you rode was whiting or similar trails and are not super picky about performance then its a wonderful and fun sub $3k bike. For the Luge and more advanced trails its not enough bike. I was shaken and beat off line many many times and while fun and comfortable at ranch, it turned shaky and unsafe at luge.

Enjoy
    IMG_0376.JPG

PATKOUG, Mikie, ~JB~ and 10 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Thanks for a clear write-up. An entry-level bike for the undiscerning masses. Also, your report confirms what I have said is the most challenging part of a demo ride, either getting the suspension dialed in or being able to evaluate the bike with a less-than-optimal suspension set up. You did a fine job of the latter - evaluating the bike with less-than-optimal suspension set up.

Of course, if we all rode 29er hardtail single speeds, we wouldn't have this problem, would we? :gag:

Mikie likes this.
  3. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    We aren't? Man I need to get off that bandwagon then.:D

@dustyyoungblood thank you for the write up. It sounds like it would make a great steed for lots of our trails.

Mikie likes this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Soooo.....what you are saying is I have been doing this the wrong way? :unsure: :eek::rolleyes:

RS VR6 and Mikie like this.
  5. I should add, I am super super picky about suspension, braking, and frame performance. These are all rather serious factors for most people and problems are amplified with heavier riders like me. In contrast I never hear the sub 160 pound guys ever complain about suspension tuning or having enough braking power very often.

herzalot, mike, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  6. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I'm in the sub 160lb category and I've been riding an Enduro 29er. I'd swapped bikes with a friend, similar weight, with a 16 SJ 29er at Oaks and what you've described was exactly how I felt. Of course if I was still riding the Epic, I may feel differently.

mike and Mikie like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Nice write-up. I love my carbon Stumpy 29er. It did take a few upgrades though to get it to where it is now.

Mikie likes this.
  8. That is really interesting and 100% believable

Mikie likes this.