Specialized Phenom Saddle

Discussion in 'Saddles' started by Mikie, Jan 19, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Uncle Mikie would never steer you wrong...

herzalot and MCB2K like this.
  2. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    I see what you did there... tried to get 2 likes for the price of one. ;)

ridinrox, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

It was so important, he had to tell you twice. Maybe just in case you didn't hear him the 1st time.

ridinrox, MCB2K and Mikie like this.
  4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Odd...
    I have deleted a couple double post from a few people (including me) lately...

MCB2K likes this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The site was running slow for a couple minutes around that time.

MCB2K and Mikie like this.
  6. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Like a bad seat, @mtnbikej and I busting his balls. :Roflmao

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmmm... Mikie did have a little mishap with his saddle yesterday, but I think he did the ball busting all on his own. No help needed!

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Remember when mtnbikej stated in the GE extended yeah it happened ride report how he came off his bike chasing me into some narrow trail and brush? Well... I was right in front of him hitting that same stump, both feet came out of the pedals leaving all my body weight on my huevos rancheros. I thought I was heading towards scrambled...:eek:
    So yes, I did it all on my own, if anything, the saddle saved my ....

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Speaking of testes, I think mine are wearing the nose of my Phenom. Corners are down to fabric, going to see if it's a warranty issue.2016-02-22 17.28.00.jpg2016-02-22 17.27.40.jpg

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @rossage good input! Let us know, thanks!

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You guys weren't aware at the front of the line, but I had just finished a "hamster spin" to keep up, when I came around the corner and just about took out Voodoo Tom. I think he's happy I steered into the bush instead.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Perhaps if he would do less saddle input, there wouldn't be as much wear! Ouch!!! :confused:

MCB2K and Mikie like this.
  13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Well it's good to know what the sudden stopping was all about. All I knew was we were all cooking along pretty good till the sudden stop where I damn near plowed Luis then heard Faust gasp and pile drive into the brush beside me. Thanks Faust and I'm still wondering how you managed to untangle yourself and not bleed with that maneuver. It's fun to hear these different stories from these large group rides as it's easy to miss some of them depending on where in the pack you're riding.

Now back to the saddle and thread re-rail. I'm seat shopping cuz my boys aren't happy with me. I think at some point in the ride I asked most everyone what saddle they were using and how they liked it. Since about all I can buy locally is the big "S' and they have a 30 day exchange/return policy that's probably the direction I'm going. Anybody have problems getting hung up on that squarish looking nose with the phenom saddle? I'm also looking at the "power" saddle as that one would certainly relieve the pressure on the nether regions.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  14. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Just make sure they use the assometer on you... it's exquisite!

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have yet to find a saddle that I don't take some issue with the saddle nose. But this one to this point has not been an issue.

Voodoo Tom likes this.
  16. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Interesting. I got a very similar wear pattern on my other saddle (slacker SA bike, Charge/Fabric Scoop):

SaddleTipWear.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  17. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Disclaimer: I work at a shop that sells Specialized.

On the carbon rail models, are those rails oblong? If so, I know Specialized makes a special set of clamps for the command post, and other Specialized seatposts for those oblong carbon rails. Not sure what is expected if you use another brand of seatpost.

Specialized has this warning about the oblong saddle rails:

"NOTE: Oversized 7x9mm carbon rails are not compatible with seatposts equipped with side-load clamp mechanisms for 7mm round rails."

Fancy things come with fancy issues.

Saddles are a VERY personal thing. Everyone's undercarriage is like a snowflake. . . . Unique in it's own special way :D I have yet to try the Phenom, but have had good results with both the Romin EVO and the newer Power models. I'm most partial to the Power. I like the wide-ish rear section, and the minimalist nose section. Works well for me.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/saddles/roadtriathlon-saddles/power-expert

As for the SWAT feature, it is found on many of the newest models. There are a couple of threaded holes across the rear of the saddle where you can mount 'stuff'. I use the 'Mountain Bandit' to hold a tube, tire lever, and CO2 cylinder/inflator. Since I run a dropper post, traditional saddle bags don't work well as they usually have a strap that is supposed to wrap around the seatpost and if you don't use the strap, the saddle bag can still interfere with the operation of the dropper post. That is the primary reason I like the SWAT Mountain Bandit solution.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/swat-technology/mtb-swat-technology/bandit

Voodoo Tom, UPSed and Mikie like this.
  18. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Yes, oblong rails. Was on a RockShox reverb seatpost (clamps top and bottom of rail).

Mikie likes this.
  19. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    New (to me) bike came with a chromag seat that I am not particularly fond of. Last seat I tried and liked was the WTB Devo, which is no longer in production. Could get the slightly more padded Deva, but even that is hard to find. This looks like an interesting option, thinking of giving it a go.

Mikie likes this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Was riding with @Voodoo Tom the other day, and he was on another Speshy seat that I sat on, and it was even MORE comfortable than my Phenom. It's called the Power.
    It's like they used my azz as the mold! Now I'M jealous! Check that one out as well....:thumbsup:
    (This one needs a black felt marker...:gag:)

S.Power.jpg

Side Note to all: Don't equate cushy with comfortable. Both of these saddles are firm high density foam, but the shape is what makes the difference...

21. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Specialized has this on sale right now for $75. Maybe give that a go.

Daddy Dirtbag and Mikie like this.
  22. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I have the Phenom and the Henge, both 143mm. I prefer the Henge but its nose section is shorter than the Phenom's,
    which I like. Shape wise, to me, they don't feel that much different, but the Henge has a little more padding.

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  23. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Picked up my Phenom (155mm) yesterday. Quick 15 mile ride this morning. Not very far, but far enough to know this feels a lot different to the WTB Volt that came with my SC Highball.
    And by different I'm hoping, better...

Cornholio and Mikie like this.