Specialized Phenom Saddle

Discussion in 'Saddles' started by Mikie, Jan 19, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Specialized Phenom Saddle
    Specialized-Phenom-Expert-Saddle-2015.jpg
    The Phenom Expert is designed with Adaptive Edge base construction, allowing the outer edge to conform to your body for a custom fit. Lightweight and expertly tuned for stiffness and efficiency, the Phenom Expert features hollow titanium rails and the perfect amount of padding for mountain riding.
    • Patented Body Geometry Design is lab tested to assure blood flow to sensitive arteries.
    • Carbon-reinforced shell with flexible Adaptive Edge technology adapts to your body for a custom fit and all-day comfort.
    • Low friction panels on the nose and tail improve pedaling efficiency and mobility while moving ‘on and off’ the saddle.
    • Lightweight and tough, hollow titanium rails.
    • Lightweight and supportive PU foam for increased comfort on longer rides.
    • Level 2 padding: Medium density foam for bike feel with additional cushioning.
    • SWAT compatible mounts molded into the saddle base allow for sleek and integrated storage solutions.
    • Size 143mm / Weight 248g
    • Size 155mm / Weight 254g

2. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    As much as I do not like to support Specialized products, upon an in-depth research on the internet. I pulled the trigger on this mountain bike saddle. I chose the 155mm width as I was looking for a wider flatter saddle for long rides.
    I have to say this has fit the bill nicely. A lot of people think the softer the saddle the more comfortable. I have not found that to be the case. The firmer and flatter the saddle that best fits my sit bones has proven to be the case for me.
    Having been in the saddle for an easy 5+ hours, this one has proven to best fit me. It's not the lightest out there but certainly has proven to take the punishment I have given it. I chose the Titanium rails for more durability as well.
    I have to give the Specialized Phenom Saddle so far 4 thumbs up:thumbsup:. I would give it 5 if I could figure out a way to clean the "S" Logo off my black seat. Thank gawd it's black on black so it's less conspicuous! ;)

3. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    :giggle:

I have one too, but it borked on my first ride at Noble Canyon. :cry: It was the best saddle I've had ever mounted to one of my own bike(s). Significantly more comfy than the stock Spec Henge, stock Bonty (mtb model?) RL/RLX and Affinity RL. Slightly better than a WTB Rocket V SLT, and Fabric Scoop saddle. So far ranked #1 in my book too. Can't say what it is about it that makes it better... it could be the flexible base, the shape, the precise padding characteristics (density, thickness)... it's just consistently comfortable in more situations, especially noticeable on the longer and exhausting rides, carrying a heavy pack.

SpecPhenomSaddleBrokenRail.jpg

4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^Do you mean broke?^^^
    I did read of some breaking but Specialized replaced them no question...

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  5. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Anyone want to test this claim for a second-hand item? :D If you get back a cro-moly railed version in return for this, even that would be considered success beyond my expectations (which is obviously low).

Mikie likes this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Ahhhhh......so you got a used saddle and it broke the first ride? Sounds like you oughta take that up with the person you got it from.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Whoa, Whoa, WHOAH! That looks like a Carbon Fiber Rail that broke!
    Note I did say Titanium Rails...
    Personally, I would NEVER buy a carbon fiber railed saddle. The weight savings is insignificant verse durability.
    I say, be happy it was used and I hope you paid a VERY used price...

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Love my Phenom saddles. Broke one when I broke ribs. Take a beating otherwise. Carbon rails on an mtb is asking for trouble.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  9. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    It lasted about a dozen rides before that. Noble Canyon is just as chunky as I've ever ridden in my mtb experience, and I was following locals down it... this saddle was a little too on the XC side I guess. I consider it my fault, since the rear of my bike was really taking a beating and the 420mm chainstays weren't helping. Just crying at my loss, since I really liked it. I got a metal railed one recently to see if it as good as I thought it was (before the break). :D

Now that I think about it, the Reverb's rear saddle clamp bolt head snapped on that very bike while sitting in the garage a couple months later (just one day saw the saddle pointing up and the pieces of the bolt laying on the ground).

Mikie likes this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks for the review, M. Always on the lookout for good saddles. I prefer flatter, wider, firmer in general. Brooks on my road bikes, WTB Devo/Deva on my MTB and CX. This can be a good alternative to the Devo/a.

Mikie likes this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Might have to try this one. I've tried the Henge (hated it) and all things WTB (Rocket, Silverado, Volt) and they are all OK. I'm on the Volt now, but the phenom looks like it might provide me relief where I want it. And - I trust Mikie.

Mikie likes this.
  12. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    tell us more.... what kind of storage can go there?

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Mikie and CarlS like this.
  14. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    yea I shoulda googled before I posted that... I like the idea. review here.
    http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...andit-flat-repair-kit-ultimate-tiny-tool-roll

If it is not terrible heavy and keeps it high and tight and rattle free... I like it

I have to say I like some of the SWAT storage ideas. I have the top cap chain breaker tool which I think is a great idea. I can use a smaller, simpler multi-tool and not have to remember to bring quick link.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Not to derail the thread but why would you want your tube exposed to the elements? It seems it would break down after a while. I have been getting away with a multitool, tubeless tire repair kit and CO2 cartridges w/adapter for a couple of years now. It's all in a tiny pouch that fits in a jersey pocket or I just throw it into my Camelbak when I wear it.

Mikie likes this.
  16. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    I understand, and I also do this. but how often have you checked the tube? I have found that a tube rolled up tight with a mutli-tool, etc... all jammed up tight and moved from bike to bike can break down just as easy. I once went to use a "new" tube that had been packed up in a small bag as you described and not sure if the bag, the tool, or what had caused the damage to the tube, but needless to say the tube failed me even though I thought I had a "new" tube packed away in there.

I have also tried just a simple tube strap under the seat and unless have been riding in the mud (which I try top avoid) it works just as well. Not worried about UV breaking down the tube or chaffing as it fits so nicely. stays with the bike like a spare tire. I knows it there because I can see it so I don't forget it. And if it did get real grungy or sun cooked I don't mind exchanging it out with a fresh one so I know it's good.

Still not sure which is my favorite way to go about it. I still switch it up. Right now, since I got the dropper, I just throw everything in the pack. nothing hanging under the seat on that bike.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My point was I stopped carrying a tube a couple of years ago. My buddy has used the tubeless flat repair kit twice and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1RP48/?tag=imtbtrails-20

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  18. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Oh dang! misread that. I dunno if I could go with that instead of a tube. What if the valves stem is the issue? or if the tire comes off the rim and gets dirt and crap in the bead. too late, the thread derailed. We should probably start a new one about this topic.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.
  19. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    @Mikie do your shorts rub the rails on this saddle perchance?

Mikie likes this.
  20. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    @CarlS I picked up the SWAT bibs last month and they are pretty awesome! I put a small tool pack in one pocket, my phone in another and on longer rides a bottle. It's a decent bib short for less than $90.

119-659x440.jpg

Mikie, herzalot, CarlS and 1 other person like this.
  21. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    6g for $30... that's outrageous.

The Cro-Mo looks like a good deal.

I'm in the saddle market, I've always just been a "run what you brung" guy, so this saddle shopping thing is interesting. How do you guys go about deciding which saddle to buy? Demos? Sit on it at the shop? Guess?

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  22. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    I also have a Phenom saddle. They are extremely comfortable. Get the wider one, your sit bones will thank you. The wider seat seams to disperse the pressure better.

Mikie likes this.
  23. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Running what you brung is solid policy, since familiarity is a huge factor in feeling comfortable and natural on the bike. Choosing a saddle can be like a Goldilocks thing. For some bikes, rider weights, riding styles, bone/body shapes, there's a saddle to ideally match. It shouldn't be instantly noticeable...

A lightweight guy like me might like a firmer padding with a shell that flexes moderately, while a bigger guy might like something softer and flexier, and come to the same conclusion that the Phenom is great. Other factors include seat angle, seat height in relation to the grips, how much you tuck forward or how upright you ride, how likely you are to get out of the saddle, etc. Hard to recommend any, nor offer any good advice. I can't say something like go for a wider saddle, confident that it'll be more comfortable, since there are so many unknowns...

Some foam padding and plastic shell material lose their springiness after a while too, so while it might start out great, it can become uncomfortable (get so compacted that your sit bones rest directly on a shell that sags into a poor shape), but your ass can adapt. That is, until you take a long break, and find that the worn out saddle is unbearable when you try and get into riding again, after your ass lost its adaptation (and core lost its endurance to carry your upper body weight). Like other low end parts, lower end saddles suffer from wearing out quickly, such as WTB saddles without DNA padding (especially those Test Ride ones).

I rather have a saddle that has little to no weak points, than a saddle that has a few strong standout points, with cons that make it feel imperfect. The balance that makes it feel no better than others at its best, but works well in far more situations, is what I am looking for (jack of all trades, master of none).

DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  24. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Bike Source here in the Denver area does a 14 day try it program... so...

I went with the phenom 155 after the nice lady used the assometer on me to measure my sit bones. :eek:o_O

25. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I usually have to pay good money for that... :whistling:

herzalot, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    No sir. Not at all. Still VERY happy with this saddle.

Varaxis likes this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I was gonna get the Phenom, but my new saddle (WTB Volt - same as I've been riding) has color-matched green on it so... Fashion is far more important than comfort, performance or long-term health, right?

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yep...gonadal performance aint' got nothin' on looks.

29. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Well, after having my ass serviced... I felt obligated to pay the $129.99... so in effect, I did pay good money for that. :D

Mikie and Andy like this.
  30. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    After a single 20 mile ride... two observations:
    1. The sit bones will need to be reconditioned... the seat is hitting a different spot than my WTB Laser was.
    2. The scrotum, pee-pee tingle I would get about 30 or 40 minutes into sitting on the saddle didn't show up. I assume that the Phenom isn't pinching the nerve that was causing this. It wasn't a problem on most rides as getting on/off the saddle periodically would keep it from happening, but it was nice to not experience that.
    I need to get a few more miles on it before I decide yay/nay... but so far so good.