south mountain arizona

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by moto knight, Jan 14, 2015.

1. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    South Mountain Phoenix Arizona hosts one of the meanest, nastiest, rockes, most painful, and most awesome, fun trails anywhere. Even the easy routes up the mountain are hard. Any of the descents, from National, to Mormon, to Geronimo, are great and even have the best riders on their toes. The mountain also has a trail called Desert Classic for the xc/trail riders that stay at the base of the hill which is still a blast. Nice flow berms will a little chuck parts.
    I'm out in AZ for work so haven't put down an epic ride yet but gotten in 45 miles in the last two days after work and loving every minute of it.

20150113_172249.jpg

2015-01-14 08.21.10.jpg

20150112_141809-1-1-1-1.jpg

20150112_132559-1-1-1-1.jpg

2. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
  3. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli screamy Stump Jumper FSR
    been there once and love that place, rode most all the trails your named. ITs funny how when you ride that and get back home the trails seem so smooth here. Not as much climbing, not that steep, but CHUNKY fun

4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    My favorite place. A great loop is all the way up Nationall over the top down the back side and take desert Classic all the way back. You know you're a badass when you can clean Hobart! Geronimo is the go to DH run. Rocks baby! Baalllz!

5. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Lol surftime so true it makes trails at home feel smooth.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Looks like you got the right tool for the job, cool. And timing is perfect, ya bastage.

7. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    That looks like a fun trail system. Some day I'd like to try it. I don't get to Phoenix very often and it doesn't seem like the most popular AZ MTB destination.

8. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    The weather is perfect. Got some rain last night working just a half day tomorrow planning on getting in one more ride before I head home

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Pivot Cycles is located near South Mountain for a reason. If you like desert riding, there is loads of fun stuff to keep you busy in the Phoenix area, from hairy tech stuff to mellow XC. Phoenix has its Sh!t pretty well together as far as multi-user trails these days. Black Canyon, Cave Creek, SoMo, mcDowells, Hawes, Papago, T100, White Tanks, Usery, etc. — all in or near Phx metro area. Not to mention epic destinations like Flag, Sedona and Prescott are two hours' drive from there. It's one of the best winter biking destinations IMO.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Ahhhh.....yes, the Aliso Woods of the Phoenix area.

Fun place to ride.

11. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I don't disagree. Seems like a great place if you live nearby. But if I'm driving 6+ hrs to MTB, I'm going to Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff, St. George...

12. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I have rode South Mountain numerous times but the time I joined the MTBer spring fling ride on South Mountain was a eye opener. Many of the AZ local riders had no rear suspension, rigid forks, singlespeeds and where killing the waterfall on National. One local on a rigid hardtail rode up the waterfall, there is a video on MTBer documenting it. He was wearing a straw hat and the locals said he rides every day and never stops to talk to anyone. My crew from So-Cal felt like Barneys on our expensive Turners and Ellsworths while getting schooled by locals on 15 years old Bridgestones and Titus hardtails. I was following a couple guys in National and they left the trail and are off trail up and over boulders using special local lines that your would never think they where ridable. Point is find a local so much of what is out there is hidden.

Dean

13. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Newbie

Name:
    Mike Fitzgerald
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 5
    You guys are great the bestes info all day

14. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    Thanks for the reminder of great memories. Rode out on South Mountain last year between Christmas and New Years.
    If you do go out there to ride and haven't, don't underestimate the trails. Those things will kick your azzzzzz big time. As mentioned the locals make it look easy. Such an awesome destination for a few days, not to be missed.

Poor attempt at a behind the bars shot, even those are rough out there. :D

National 1.jpg

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I have yet to ride out there, but I know it's chunky challenging and will humiliate most MtBers.

I wanna know more about your Tracer 27.5 - how long have you had it? What do you like best about it? What are its shortcomings or oddities?

16. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    I love & miss that place. I used to ride over there once a month for business[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]! But I no longer have business there[CRYING FACE]. Thanks for bringing back good memories!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    This is my 2nd tracer first was the 26 and now the 275. I have had the 275 for a year now. I love this bike you can ride it like a dh bike or pedal it all day. Its a frame up build so I have played with parts to get it were it's at now. Big difference I feel with the 275 is the help of roll over on sharp edges and rocks. You still can flick the bike around (I hate how a full suspension 29 feels). This bike gives you so much confidence and holds its line. The only shortcomings I would say is the weight of the frame (but that makes the bike feel so stable) and with the stock fox rp23 shock it blow threw the mid stroke travel the db makes a big difference. This bike is a ripper and everyone would have fun on it all day fun.

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    In Jan-Feb you have a far greater chance of those venues being either unridable due to snow or just damn cold. And you pass through Phoenix to get to those places. Yea the Phx areas are somewhat spread out, but the desert at 1000' el at that lattitude is way different than the places you mention up to 6k' higher. Nothing like the SoAz desert in winter; it's a short season but it's pure bliss. Methinks you need to get some trail time out there, boss...

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    moto knight, of course, the burning question is...

Did you clean the Waterfall?

:cool:

20. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Piece a cake! :D

21. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    cleaned it down but no way did I clear up it.
    it's not bad just all in the head if you can get over that your good.

22. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Just got done with my last ride out at south mountain for the week just put in 26 mile of pure fun

23. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Loading the truck to head home

20150115_102005-1.jpg

24. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Waterfall, I can't do it but the line is to the left and ride the spine.