Source of problems from younger generation?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Varaxis, Mar 14, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I've been thinking, what's the common link with all the problems people have, that seem most common with younger generations. There's ignorance, stupidity, blaming, irresponsibility, complacency, paranoia, a call to grow-up,... old folk can be guilty of the same.

I've been "analyzing" dramas and gossip recently. Not TV/movie drama, but the online anonymity kind. Lots of ammo in the comments section. I study the peoples' behavior patterns, instead of shout my own beliefs into the void, cause it's more interesting to me that way.

I've been chasing the angle that parenting is the issue, and was wondering what exactly it was being transferred from parent to child. Innocence is the most common link. No matter how I slice it, innocence being highly valued seems to make so much sense in explaining common behavior patterns, and in excusing such behavior.

What say you? Think about it... if you think about it enough, you might become like me and give the idea of false innocence the middle finger.

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Go ride your bike. You'll feel better.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't even know what you are lamenting, Dan. The traits you list have always been attributed to kids and teens.

I'll just go with social media as the catalyst for all bad behavior and out-of-whack value systems.

Wait - this isn't social media is it?

Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Unfortunately, there is no book on how to be a perfect parent. We do the best we can, often transferring what we were taught by our parents to our children. What I see all too often is a parent getting frustrated with their kids which leads to yelling or some other sort of abusive behavior. As parents, we need to realize that our kids are learning from us even when we are not teaching them. Our actions are likely to be duplicated by our children.

skyungjae, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  5. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    I blame the Kardashians....period.

Mikie, herzalot, Luis and 1 other person like this.
  6. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Protecting innocence.​

The habits done in this vein are the very same ones I witness are getting criticized in controversies. The criticism suggests that it makes people soft; it's similar to protecting stupidity; it's a burden on society; people should be more self-sufficient (less dependent).

In other views, people see it as cute and adorable, like a pet/companion that can offer mental stability. It's something they crave--there's been a surge in such from media production, considering how much more mainstream cat pictures and anime girls have become.

There's honor in the call to fight against bullies, protecting the innocent. There's honor in chivalry, such as prince charming rescuing the damsel in distress. This honor is glorified, yet it's being twisted to serve peoples' own needs, if they tweak the definition of innocence. They frame those needing generosity and support as victims, to mimic such innocence. They frame the action as honorable justice, for a good cause.

Innocent until proven guilty.​

There's a difference between innocent and not guilty. People prefer if they're referred to, themselves, as innocent. They like to retain this description well into adulthood, acting innocent through ignorance (willful, feigned, forgetful, etc.), or by mimicking the cute adorableness mentioned above. Such innocence has the perk of minimizing punishment for any mistake they're responsible for.

Those who learn the law surrounding their interests, and the current levels of enforcement, could plan things that could be called immoral, abusing the freedom given to them. For example, they could use their freedom of speech to spread misinformation that sows discord. Without any true punishment, they may think they're innocent and shamelessly continue doing so. Others may be emboldened, having previously suppressed urges to do the same, and dare to do the same. If any enforcement agents respond, they may object, saying that it's their right and that it's unfair to be singled out when so many are doing it. This abuse could be of any freedom... think of the lack of global policing for global powers, and how many questionably immoral things are going unpunished.

Many immature types follow the strategy that a good defense is a strong offense. Can't expect words written on paper to protect you, nor expect others to come rescue you in time to prevent tragedy. Breed power of your own, to defend from all the threats you can imagine yourself, taking responsibility into your own hands. "Assertively persuade" others to not F with you. Build sturdy walls and distance yourself from those that you don't well enough to trust, perhaps judging unknowns by various categorizations, having them prove that they're exceptions to even be considered a fair judgement. They know it'll take a lot of effort to convince others who do the same form of judgement, to explain things if others see the two together.

Is this true innocence? Definitely not the cute adorable traits, nor the traits you see in young children. People have been stretching the definition of innocent to include themselves as an example. I'd relate it to the feeling of not wanting to feel guilt. For example, it used to be an ideal that use of power for selfish purposes was questionable, but now tolerated due to more widespread stretching of it being guilt-free (AKA innocent).

---

Just a couple of angles on this idea of innocence being an issue. I'm taking it step by step before I cross someone's line on it, possibly conflicting with their religious beliefs. I omitted some details like a daughter's/maiden's chastity being a trait correlated to innocence, that parents/adults value. I plan on covering my perspective of how this ties to higher education, including trade skills, next. Imagine how it would be to read through admission essays of kids today at MIT, vs applicants in the early 80s. A lot more boring? I wish I could provide answers, like expanding some lizard brain theory (e.g. idiocracy)... just merely offering my perspective of how I've been seeing things, and investigating to add some validity to make things somewhat controversial.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Varaxis - you have an amazing brain. 5 years ago, it was all things science and physics. Now it's all things human behavior. The common element - deeeeeeeep analysis (bordering on over-thinking - in my opinion).

You seem stuck on the term innocent and innocence. Perhaps a sub-category or even antonym of responsibility? There are a few angles of responsibility - an obligation one feels towards others or to an ideal - OR a technical responsibility - like - my actions (or negligence) caused something to happen (or not happen). Some say there are no accidents - merely bad decisions. The difference between innocence and responsibility.

Good luck in your quest for understanding humans! Let me know when you get it figured out. :thumbsup:

doublewide, Varaxis and Mikie like this.