Sometimes we hike

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by evdog, Jul 21, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Sometimes we go hiking without the bike. Put your hiking trip reports here.

2. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    With high temps last weekend I wanted to get out of town and get up high. Times like that I often head out in the afternoon and do a late evening/sunset ride, camp, and then get up early and ride while it is still cool. Usually home in under 24 hours. Makes for a good weekend of riding, gets me out of town and still leaves plenty of time at home to get stuff done. I kept with that plan but decided to switch things up and do a quick overnight backpack. I’ve done some hiking in the San Jacintos but have never done the section of PCT from Tahquitz fire lookout south on the desert divide. Checking for any closures from last year’s Cranston fire I confirmed PCT was open, just one rockfall to deal with mid way. Elevations and mileage looked good to do this as an overnighter and I figured I’d be done around mid-day, mostly descending by the time temps would warm up.

I dropped my moto off at the top of Morris Ranch Rd and headed up to Idyllwild. Just three other vehicles at the trailhead, and I’d see owners of two of those right away

IMG_2306.jpg

I’d gotten away later than planned so it was pushing 7pm by the time I got to the fire lookout.

IMG_2320.jpg

Ran into a pair of hikers and a 15 member scout or youth group at Saddle Junction. Those would be the last people I’d see til the next day.

Continued hiking past little Tahquitz valley. The trail drops down and then contours around a ridge, where views open up first over Palm Springs

IMG_2369.jpg

Then rounding the corner an incredible view along the Desert Divide as the sun was going down

DSC04591.jpg

It was quite spectacular and moving along brought more flowers in amongst burned trees, had to stop and take it all in. I’d been hoping to make it far enough down the ridge to get a view west to see the sunset but turns out that was blocked by South Ridge, so no loss there.

IMG_2380.jpg

Stopped and had dinner and a beer while watching the light fade away, then continued on to find a spot to camp. Being on a steep ridge there were few good spots, had to wait until the trail ran across a small saddle to find a few flat spots. Asleep by 10pm.

Packing up before sunrise. I can sleep in forever at home especially if it is cool and dark. When camping I have no problem getting up early. Sunrise was at 5:45, I was up at first light around 5.

IMG_2429.jpg

Sunrise came a short distance down the trail

DSC04607.jpg

Morning alpenglow

IMG_2460.jpg

The trail crossed over the divide briefly bringing views of the still dark west side

DSC04611.jpg

DSC04613.jpg

Crossing back onto the east side. Notice a bit of poodle dog bush on the right. This was a thick patch of it for 25-30 ft. I'd see more here and there but not terrible.

IMG_2476.jpg

Rockfall on the trail. Those are about 10ft high. Took some careful steps to get around them

IMG_2494.jpg

Views down to the desert were awesome especially this one of the sand wash

DSC04619.jpg

Looking back toward San Jacinto

IMG_2499.jpg

And then back on the west side looking down to Lake Hemet and Hurkey Creek

IMG_2513.jpg

Hard part for day 2 coming up. Still had 500ft to descend down to Fobes Saddle, then would have to climb up a thousand feet up to that ridge top. Getting hot by this point and any time I was on the east side of the ridge there was no breeze. Bug net went on.

IMG_2521.jpg

Up top, approaching the final descent down Cedar Springs trail. I was impressed how many trees there were in places along this route, even this far south.

IMG_2533.jpg

Just a couple more miles to Cedar Springs intersection on rolling terrain. Saw the only other 2 hikers at top of Cedar Springs. Didn’t waste any time in getting down the hill. Hot and buggy. Made it back to the moto around 1230 and rode back to Idy to grab my truck. No one at the Southridge trailhead when I got back there. I’d been planning to do a ride in the afternoon but it was too hot and I didn’t want to wait around til late afternoon for it to cool down. Headed home instead with a stop at Nessy Burger in Fallbrook. Awesome weekend!

Stats 21 mi, +4600/-5,600

3. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer

Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Excellence! TFPU, Evan. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, evdog and mountaingirl sara like this.
  5. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    That was magazine worthy IMO!
    Thanks for sharing, PCT overnight camp is on my to do list

Danmtchl and evdog like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Amazing photos! TFPU!

Danmtchl, mountaingirl sara and evdog like this.
  7. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5 & Intense Primer
    Great photos. I have a buddy that has hiked the entire PCT and now he just goes out and does 3-4 day sections for the fun of it. He's heading to Oregon in a couple weeks. As for hiking, I just can't get on board for the most part. The whole time I'm hiking, I'm thinking how much more fun it would be on a bike. Now if I have a "goal" at the end of the hike that will add some excitement, I can endure the slow pace. For instance, I'll be hiking back to many waterfalls on the Road to Hana in Maui in a few weeks and will surely hike down to a secluded area to rock jump into the ocean. :D

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, Luis and 4 others like this.
  8. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I hear you. I did a lot of hiking and backpacking before I ever got into MTB. Never really looked back after that and still ride every trail in my head while I am hiking. I still like to hike though, but generally only do it places where we can't bike. It is still a great way to get out and explore, and get away from other people. And yeah if there is a waterfall or cool view that is a bonus, but those are often hikes that get crowded that I will only do once.

You can move pretty fast hiking if you're in good shape for it. A thru hiker I met at the Grand Canyon was doing the Hayduke Trail, more of a cross country route from Moab to Zion. He came back in May and thru-hiked the AZT in 19 days. It took me 13+ on a bike, riding 16-18hrs per day. Doing it in 19 on foot is mind blowing.

9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I just did the busiest back country hike...panorama trail in Yosemite.. but had to show my daughter.. she said..dad .. this is one of the best days ever..
    Think she now wants to tackle half dome...
    Busy trails but still worth it...

10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Would love to see a map of your journey! I camp up there about once a year... but in the car camping spots by Idylwild.

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Make sure you know what you're doing. Lot of people had the same idea... and died doing it. Even swimming some of the creeks and pools along that stretch of coast is considered hazardous and many people have died during the numerous flash floods that occur.

12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Re hiking...
    I’ve never climbed Whitney. A family friend Gerardo, literally secured us a few permits right after I blew out my knee.:(
    Any interest in a small group ascent next season?

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer and myself for sure! She has already done it once or twice and said I would love it!

14. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Awesome! I need the year to fully heal the knee and maybe even remove the metal bar on the clavicle.
    I’ve tried entering the lottery for permits in the past with no luck, but I hear it’s best just to go and grab unclaimed permits.
    Yay!

15. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    I would be all about that. Re: permits, I do a backpacking trip every year and the trailhead we launch from is always booked up well in advance. We’ve never had issues obtaining walk up permits. Obviously Whitney permits are in higher demand, but conceptually it could work. I think the play would be to get them at the Bishop ranger station as opposed to Lone Pine as LP gets stacked with folks doing Whitney. A night spent in Mammoth prior for a bit of acclimatization is a solid idea anyway.

16. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Panorama is fantastic. We actually did it while my wife was 6 months pregnant. Some nice little fishing spots along the way as well.

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I've not yet climbed Whitney. I'm thinking it would be great to ride up from Lone Pine to Whitney Portal and hike in from there...:whistling:

18. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Great! Yeah, I’ve heard the permits are not a problem during the week especially!
    @Runs with Scissors biking then climbing!? More power to ya! Maybe next time when I know what I’m in for :confused:

19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Add in a swim and it's a triathlon!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    The swim part is a yes for me:thumbsup:

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Let's just start in Death Valley. Get some elevation gain in there.

22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer says I should do Baldy first to see if I'm up to it. Apparently walking 12-15 miles a day is not enough training.

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    For Baldy, start at the bottom of GMR and ride up to the Top of the Notch. Hike from there....

24. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    I used to backpack the Sierra Nevada range a lot. When I was about 16-24, ( as soon as I could drive myself there). Me and my other 16 year old friend would just decide to go and take off the next day for a 5-7 day hike. Permits were never a problem, and you didn't have to carry your :poop: out. But then that was way back in 19xx and access was never an issue. Seldom saw anyone past the first 12 miles into the range.

I've never climbed up Whitney portal, but did go down it. Started at the Giant forest on the west side, crossed the range and came out at whitney. 80 some miles, and at that time there weren't any trails that crossed the range where we hiked, so we made out own. Stayed one night at about 12k' on a big rock, drinking show melt off the rock. Next to us was a very small copper mine from who knows when. So much fun! Wish I'd appreciated it more at the time.

25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    AKA Badwater:thumbsup:

26. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You must have appreciated it to some degree to put in all the effort! I think it’s cool that you did this at a young age, these things help shape us I think!
    Very cool!

27. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Interesting.... looked at Whitney permits online and its the same system from when I did it 6-7 years ago, while Half Dome's has since changed. Whitney has one main lottery before the season, and then as people cancel or don't show their permits become available online, usually a day to a couple weeks out. There are 4 day permits tomorrow if any of you can make it up there :D. I don't see anything about walk-up permits. I'd be more interested in a multi day trip from Kearsarge Pass to Cottonwood lakes or something similar.

A few weeks ago I tried to get a permit to hike Half Dome. There is a pre-season lottery there too but also a daily lottery for any not used along with the non-lottery allotment, if that makes sense. You have to pay $10 (per person on your entry) to enter the daily lottery. Apparently there is a 20-30% chance of getting a permit on weekdays and down to 10-15% on weekends. You enter today for a permit day after tomorrow. Can't say I like this system and I hope the lottery fees are going to the park and not the vendor.

28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Yosemite suffers from TMP and proximity to SF & LA.

29. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Half dome permit system is problematic...sometimes u should not go up the cables.. ie pm thunderstorms.. or just too tired...been up couple of times..very worthwhile..
    Once a friend of mine hiked all the to the cables..saw the steepness and said no thanks..gotta know ur limits.. he was just too tired..I wonder if we had permits he might have pushed himself...

Whitney.. a must do hike.nice to sleep at the portal ..helps a bit w acclimatization...

99 switchbacks!? Maybe an exaggeration...

30. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Had a nice solo hike today, 17.5mi about 2500ft. Hubby dropped me off and I hoofed it home via PCT. Beautiful hike with all kinds of weather, snow, warm sunshine and even 15* w windchill at times. My phone was dying at mi 10 and switched to power save mode, so Strava failed.

6572E5B0-3A03-487E-8435-73C81D5D7A52.jpeg

689D1AE0-187C-45DE-9187-4B9A9AE5906F.jpeg

81D906B6-B179-4097-A525-10942007A796.jpeg

Danmtchl, Walleye, Rumpled and 11 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?