Something Different....But Something Familiar

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Mar 25, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The last 6 months or so I have kinda gravitated towards the middle of the Santa Ana's. Eagle/Bedford/Motorway/ITT/Maple Springs.

I've been meaning to get out to Sierra Peak. The last couple times during some big rides that part of the loop has been skipped.

So I wanted to do something different. I hadn't done Blackstar to Sierra Peak to Coal Canyon to Oaks from home since summer last year. Today would be the day I went back.

Now the plan was to roll at 6:30 to meet up with @HBkites group at the Tree farm around 8:00. Well the alarm went off at 5:00 and I decided I didn't wanna get up, so I slept in. After breakfast, I finally got on my bike about 8:45. Rolled over through the Oaks and ran into my wife walking one of the horses.

Instagram Link

Continued on solo. Made it out to Santiago Canyon Rd. Lots of roadies out today. Chatted with one on the way up to the top of Dump Hill. About this time I saw another rider on a mountain bike. I passed him at the top and dropped down to Irvine Lake. Just before the Bat Bridge, the other mtn biker went by just hammering a bigger gear on the flats/DH's. As I approached Silverado Canyon, the other rider made the left turn then the other left and down Blackstar. I caught and passed him again. He would once again fly past me once inside the gate. I would spend the next half hour chasing him down. I would catch him just after the first Maripossa sign. Found out he was doing the same ride I was. Started chatting with him as we dropped in Hidden Ranch.

Ran across @Faust29 and @Runs with Scissors and stopped to socialize....I'd be solo most of the rest of the day. The road was in so much better shape than it was a few days ago.

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG
    IMG_2584.JPG

Made quick work of the climb up to Beeks'. Only saw 2 other riders going up to Beeks'. No stop and started the trek out to Sierra Peak. Been a while, yet the road was still in better shape than I thought it would be. Poison Oak is starting to grow along Main Divide on the way to Sierra Peak. Made the extra credit climb up to the Helicopter Pad.

IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG

Rolled through and headed down Coal Canyon. The upper section was in good shape, but the weeds are growing into the road. A little ways down I decided to check out one of the other roads...didn't go very far before I turned around. The road has been graded, so it was fast and smooth...but loose. Ran across a rider on an ebike flying up the road as I descended. At the bottom hit SART over to Featherly Park then Santa Ana Canyon Rd a ways before jumping into Deer Canyon Reserve.

This was a bit of a mistake. The first climb up was really overgrown. It would stay that way for a bit. When I finally reached the singletrack, it was overgrown to the point that I couldn't see the trail. So I chose to stay on the main road....I'd miss out on a couple more climbs. Quick stop for water at the fountain. Poison Oak was growing everywhere in the canyon...it's gonna be a bad year. Popped out at the end and texted my wife to see where she was. The plan was for her to ride out and meet me.

Short spin up the street and I was back in Weir Canyon. I had the time, so I chose to add in some extra credit. Stopped to take some pics, and give trail directions to some hikers.

IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2588.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2591.JPG
    IMG_2592.JPG

I was out here a week or so ago and the Mustard wasn't bad. What a difference a week makes. New Weir Cyn Trail had Mustard 7' high and the trail was only 24" wide. It has taken over the hill side....
    IMG_2593.JPG

A few minutes later finally met up with my wife at the bottom of Deer Trail. She made the decsion to climb Deer.

Instagram Link

Same thing....weeds are going crazy. Fast fun run down Barham Ridge, then down Chutes Trail. Ran in our friend Richie at the bottom. Another stop for socializing before we did a quick water refill. Ended up fighting a stiff headwind the final 10 miles or so.

Fun ride today. Was good to do this route again.

Screenshot (157).png
    Screenshot (158).png

IMG_2589.JPG

~JB~, Tom the Bomb, Cougar and 20 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Kick Ass™...nice job, J.

It's cool to run into the old lady out in the world. :thumbsup: Excuse me, do I know you?...

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Nice one... I was wondering what shape Coal was in when Scissors and I passed by it today. Haven't been down any part of that since the Salsa days.

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Wowtch! Nice!

Tom the Bomb and mtnbikej like this.
  5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Cool route, never realized CHSP part was east of 91.

Tom the Bomb and mtnbikej like this.
  6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    Nice ride! I never knew you could drop down from Sierra like that (Coal Cyn?), then again I'd have no reason to since riding to Sierra is a challenge in itself for me.

I actually passed you as I was leaving the canyon (in my car) and you were heading down from the dump amongst a flock of roadies. My son needed a nap so I drove him through the canyon for a bit while he sawed some logs. Looked like some sort of road event/ride going on out there yesterday.

Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    When I was on the way home, there was a photographer set up at the scenic turnout lane by Whiting. He also had a timer set up for the roadies...

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, the first 3 miles is technically part of Chino Hills SP.

CA Dept. of Fish & Game has put a ton on new signs up out there stating "property of state of CA"

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    New grips for J?

Tom the Bomb, Cornholio and Faust29 like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yup....white ones replaced the purple ones that faded to pink for True Grit.

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    OK, Eagle Eyes... Can you spot the other new accoutrement on his steed? :p

Disclaimer: He had to point it out to me yesterday when we met on Black Star. And I completely missed the new grips. :whistling:

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I have failed to recognize anything else. :mad:

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I missed them both until it was pointed out to me...and I was right there. :(

Tom the Bomb and SnakeCharmer like this.
  14. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    Those flowers above look like the same patch as this back in Weir:

IMG_0980.JPG

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M