Somebody Tried To Steal My Car

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by SnakeCharmer, Jun 17, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My suspicion was correct. I feared that someone got into my car yesterday on HWY 2 in a secondary paved lot just passed Switzer because as we pedaling up the bl@ck b!tch yesterday while exiting the Switzer area, I heard a Honda car alarm go off twice. There was other Honda vehicles parked in the lot as well, though.

We left my car there for shuttling. I recall seeing two shady characters sitting in an older black Nissan Altima two park spaces over as I parked earlier. I hauled ass up the steep paved road to investigate the car alarm sounding off I had heard a few mins earlier. I could see one of those two guys standing on the berm near his/my car. He was the look out. He got back into that Nissan as I approached. My car was unlocked when I got to it and I clearly recall locking it when I left it. I am positive about that. I quickly checked my glove box, center console, and lift gate storage area. Nothing seem disturbed or missing. It started fine and it did not sound off a tripped alarm chirp like some security systems do when they are triggered. I thought about it last night and I decided to check the driver door key insert this morning and sure enough, it is punched to an extent. I've seen destroyed/punched locks before, mine is not like that but force was applied to the lock, without a doubt.

I recall seeing personal info papers scattered up in the Redbox parking lot, earlier that morning as well so the area is being worked.

Since nothing seems to be missing or disturbed, I think that they were trying to take my car. When I purchased my car, I decided to purchase/leave the secondary alarm on the car that the dealer had installed. That system may be what saved my car. I need to go online to the secondary security system website and see if there was an unauthorized entry made to my car yesterday.

Sadly, there are electronic devices out there that the car thieves have that will unlock our modern cars in a matter of seconds. They are other devices that will start the car as well. Beware.

2. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

SUCKS! Gotta luv Cali???

3. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Not just Cali man. In a little quaint wholesome University town a few hours drive from where I grew up in Atlantic Canada, there have been a series of smashed windows and stolen items at the local trailhead.

@SnakeCharmer , so do you have to get the lock replaced? Or is it still functional?

4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Wait? So you are saying that there are asshat’s in other regions around the world? :)

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Never leave anything in a vehicle that you can not live without. Vehicles are not secure.

6. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I've parked at Green River for CHSP a few times lately and it's not uncommon to see broken glass in the area. Fortunately my visits are on weekends when it's crowded, so should be safe.

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The guys at Switzer are there because it's crowded.

More people, more human waste, more graffiti, more vandalism, more trash, more crime.

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Auto theft was so common in Florida, they didn't even send a cop to the house when our Dodge Intrepid was stolen from our driveway. They put a blank statement form in the mail for us to fill out.

9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It has been suggested to me by the guys in the Honda Forum to install a driver side rear passenger handle on the drivers door and eliminate the key entry option. I partially stuck the key in the lock but it’s damaged and I fear that the key will get stuck.

10. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Sometime during this pandemic, someone must have jammed a screw driver into my car door key lock. I didn't go many places, so it had to have happened at Ralph B. Clark or Laguna lake.

Instead of re-keying, I took the cylinder apart, straightened out all the bent tumblers, and got it all working again.

It's hard times, and it's getting easier for relatively normal people to justify theft.

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    They stole your what?

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    They stole our Sh!t brown 1995 Dodge Intrepid. The bad news is that it was recovered- after the scumbags did a gas-n-dash outside of Disney World. :p And two weeks later, the main culprit transferred to my school. :devilish:

13. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    A buddy of mine lives in West LA. His car was stolen a couple of weeks ago. The Beverly Hills PD made a traffic stop and recovered the car. When he went to pick it up he had to pay $1,400 to have it released. $450 to the police department and $950 to the tow company. He wasn't too happy about that. He would've been better off to have never seen the car again and got the insurance payout.

14. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Ugh...I remember once at Holy Jim during a rash of break-ins I saw a car with a sign in the window that said "I have chicken pox enter at your own risk"

Cracked me up..

15. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Similar experience here. When I first got my work permit here a few years ago, I picked up an 90 Honda Accord for $500 (poor car eventually blew a head gasket and stranded me in Agoura Hills after I rode the backbone trail.) It was stolen off the street in Covina one one night, (apparently Honda is the most stolen vehicle according to police at the time). It was eventually found in abandoned in downtown upland, with a bunch of random items in the trunk. I got the call at 11 pm. Drove out to the police station and filled out the paperwork. Next day, I took the day off (money was tight since I had just started working, so that was a loss already) took the metrolink to Upland and walked to the impound yard where I had to pay out $400 to release it, (they charged me for a full day storage for the one hour it was kept there at night, and then another day for the following day). Would have been nice if they would have actually called me BEFORE taking it to the tow yard. I'm still actually convinced that these yards have lackeys going around stealing cars for joy rides so they can tow them and make a quick buck. They even had the nerve to say "you can pay us to keep the car". Predatory jackwads. I've had a crime committed against me, yet I'm the one who has to pay?

16. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    had the catalytic converter and O2 sensor cut out/stolen with the sawzall last night...

17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Bummer, sorry to hear that.

18. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I should just leave the key in the car, rather they take the car instead. I've had an Odyssey stolen and when it was recovered, it was disgustingly filthy.
    Fortunately pushed insurance to pay just in time so it was no longer mine. I went to get some personal belongings but it was so filthy I didn't take any of it back.

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Fkking hell? :gotnothing:

Bummer that you got violated, @SnakeCharmer. I'm always kind of surprised it doesn't happen more. Population center areas in every state are crawling with cockroaches. If it's not some career scumbag stealing, it's some silver-spoon as$hole vandalizing your property out of boredom. F population centers, I've seen and had enough.

20. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    This happened in my condo complex last week. Must be a thing now. They sell them at the recycling centers who knows they're stolen I'm sure.

That sucks @SnakeCharmer , I have the same car, and with the add on alarm too.

You know, people suck sometimes.

And what the hell is up with having to pay so much to get a stolen car back? Something seriously wrong here.

21. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I think it's been a thing since about 10 years ago when it was no longer possible to use universal cats as replacements in CA.
    A universal cat used to be <$100. Now a CARB-approved cat is $800. Probably the same cat, but with $700 worth of certification stickers.

22. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    platinum worth more than gold

23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    This is absolutely true. I have a Jeep in the shop now getting work done to pass smog. It has everything in place but the cat is only 49 state legal. It runs perfectly and has passed with that same cat several times before but now that it has to go to a star station it won't fly because it is missing a certain stamp on the cat. I'm so ready to get the heck out of California...

24. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Is there any way to stop car thieves from stealing modern vehicles?? seems our technology has made it easier for the thieves not us.

So glad my Jeep JK cats are part of my headers up inside the engine bay... since its lifted its prime target. I am worried about my pickup cat being stolen.

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Our less than modern vehicles weren't much better... I forget the exact years, but it was something like 1994-2005, all GM vehicles only had a few tumblers in the door locks- and only a handful of combinations. There were more tumblers in the ignition... But it meant if a thief had a couple dozen random GM keys, chances are they could open any GM door in a mall parking lot. They wouldn't be able to start it, but the door would open...

I learned this at the Irvine Spectrum one chilly November evening a few weeks before Christmas. I was standing there with about 12 other GM owners (Yukons, corvettes, Silverados, Hummers, etc..) who all had their cars broken into... No damage on entry, and they even locked the doors when they were done. I lost a Canon 20D, which was one of my favorite cameras ever. :thumbsdown: f@ckers.

26. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Take the Jeep with you! I hear South Dakota has clean air. Anyone need entitlements for another warehouse?

27. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    My parents’ place in the middle of nowhere was broken into yesterday. So unless you’re talking about Antarctica, I’m not sure you’re gonna get far enough away.

rossage, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 12 others like this.
  28. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    +1

As long as there are people, there's always going to be that small percentage that gets their jollies by taking from other people.

Danmtchl and Dirtrider.... like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It can and does happen everywhere, agreed. More likely to happen in or near dense population, I say from personal, if anecdotal, experience. Neighbors you know are more likely to keep eyes out and intervene. Apartment buildings are a free-for-all.

Someone going to try to pull your GF's purse from her hands in broad daylight on a main road? Approach you about buying illegal drugs? Ask if you're looking for a "date?" Steal your locked bike parked in a rack in front of a security desk? Randomly want to fight you? Gather in small mobs yelling obscenities on public transportation just to intimidate people? Yes, they could all happen in a rural setting. But I'd put money on a shorter wait for them to happen in or near a city.

tick, DangerDirtyD, rossage and 3 others like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    But bears...

tick, rossage, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.