Solo Chiquito in june gloom

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by sir crashalot, Jun 15, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Normally I consider Chiquito a winter/spring ride when its cooler and the dirts tacky, but today I decided to take advantage of this unusually cool mid june weather and hit it. Solo so no shuttle, had to climb up which i dont mind its a beautiful trail and the climb/habs not too bad, especially with my low gearing :) Started with the CCW san juan loop trail for some extra credit. Then up Chiquito, pedaled quite a bit of it , hiked the rest. PR for the climb up. Didnt se anyone else out there. Was cloudy and cool, but humid for most of the ride, thick june gloom, even drizzled a bit at the top.

09c5a006-dc6e-4a5e-97cd-a299e3654f3b.jpg
    I turned around at the high point before descending to the "water"fall, didnt have all day so couldnt do the whole trail including viejo tie. Oh well, some sweet downhill awaits.

ee41415e-1842-48a1-85dd-43e582f0e686.jpg
    Chiquito was fun on the 650b blindside. Dirt was dry and loose as expected, but ive seen it worse. Some late season flowers in bloom.

434b2059-a9aa-4773-b421-8e2090d549c8.jpg
    Looking back up to where I was.

ce502667-216e-454c-a159-7888cf780c90.jpg
    Of course, the sun comes out for the climb up to the car :(
    but still under 70. Heck it was warmer when I was here last in March!
    Great way to end the spring riding season before the summer sauna starts (I dont like long rides in really hot temps, like this coming heat wave, yikes!). Hope this summer wont be as hot as the previous.

2. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    Wheres the pics? I'm planning on shuttling from blue jay to the firehouse end of this month.

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  3. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Awesome you got out there to Chiquito Gary! Such a great trail. Wish I would have pushed and went with ya. Climb not too bad huh? Never done it that way.

Tom the Bomb, ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  4. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Youre referring to the enitire san juan trail. This trail is the lower half of the shuttle from blue jay to the ortega highway Candy Store (san juan loop trailhead). If you want to shuttle Chiquito, leave a car there (parking lot across from the candy store) and descend from blue jay on san juan trail, left on viejo tie (easy to miss!) then right on chiquito, at bottom of the 2d canyon right on san juan loop trail, back to car. Be forewarned there is a decent climb in the middle and at the very end. For extra credit: San juan, right on old san juan (CCW lollipop loop) to cocktail rock, left on san juan, R on viejo tie, R on chiquito. Adds more climbing. Bring a trail map. Sorry didnt take many pics.

5. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    One of my first trails when I started about 30 yrs ago. always came form the candy store. like you said not bad climb. 16 miles round trip up and back . good job .Always thought the 4 miles from San Juan to the falls is one of the besttrails up there

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Awesome! One of my all time OC favorites is San Juan with Viejo Tie. I don't know if I've done Chiquito. Hmmmm...

7. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Didnt do the entire viejo tie loop today, not enough time. today was maybe 9 miles round trip.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and gunga din like this.
  8. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Tough trail good work. How was the poison oak. I have to stay off that trail until I know that the Warriors have come thru and brushed it.

Dean

Tom the Bomb, Danimal and Mikie like this.
  9. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    poison oak wasnt bad, its worst in lion canyon between waterfall and viejo tie. Didnt get that far. Im not very sensitive to it so i dont care.

Tom the Bomb, knucklebuster and Mikie like this.
  10. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Chiquito is a completely different beast than the flowy San Juan trail. Much more techy/droppy stuff, like Viejo tie ++. One of my fav's, Gary and I try to get to it as much as possible from fall to early spring. Usually too hot in the summer.

11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    It can be confusing, because the San Juan trail you're talking about and the San Juan "loop" trail are 2 separate trails.

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Well it sounds like a road trip is in order to settle the confusion!

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Let's do it. I've never ridden it o_O

14. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    I did San Juan and Viejo Tie for the first time last weekend. what a freaking blast. BUT, a lot of the viejo tie portion was/is severaly overgrown. lost trail a few times. Cant wait to get back out there and do it again.

Tom the Bomb and Danimal like this.
  15. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    All good info folks. Is there a trail ambassador for this? I've read about this place from the OC register where a guy got lost.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  16. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    The Register story you saw may have been related to this thread from our ride about a year ago: http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/we-saved-a-life-today-rr.2668/#post-20192

I'm really hesitant to set up any kind of Chiquito group ride this time of year. There could be a few good days left if the June gloom comes back in after this heat wave, but the marine layer usually clears out early up there, and Chiquito is mostly south facing after the falls and has very little shade. There's a stout/HAB climb from the falls, it gets IE like hot up there.

Anyways, here's a couple maps of the area that I lifted from somewhere and detailed awhile ago. Gary and I like to do the shuttle from Blue Jay, around the lollipop counterclockwise (old SJT to the rock, then new SJT), down Viejo Tie and Chiquito to the Candy store. It's around 14 miles and 1700 feet climbing, and takes us 4-5 hours on the trail with breaks.
    San Juan Trail1_Overview-v2.jpg
    San Juan Trail2_Detail.jpg

17. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Bronson CC v3
    Tom the Bomb likes this.
  18. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Sweet ride! Never ridden that one before.

19. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    The flying Kiwi from Hesperia used to do a ton of trail work out there and built many of the rocks features. Have not seen him for awhile...since my last Kernville trip 6 months ago.

Dean

Want to donate to imtbtrails?