So... what happened to Aliso / Wood Canyons?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by BonsaiNut, Jan 25, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Haven't been there in a while... not my favorite trail network because of the crowds. Went for a spin through there today and I was appalled by the trail conditions. Is Meadows even a trail any longer? There are three lines down the hill - with the main "legal" trail being so gutted out that it is almost unrideable in some spots. Not a hint of drainage berms from the top to the bottom of the trail. Big sink holes in the middle of the trail with an orange traffic cone to warn you not dump your bike into them... Pretty gnarly. And what's with the bullbozing of the single track trails down in the valley? The main fire road not wide enough so you had to bulldoze the dirt tracks? Pretty sad...

Crowds are still there though, I saw more people there today on a weekday than I would see in a month of weekends in the Santa Anas.

What to do, what to do... Too many people, not enough trails :(

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I haven't been there in 6 months or so, but I don't remember seeing it in that condition. After effects of the recent rains...?

Harding was packed for the first mile yesterday. There was even a gaggle of photographers set up at the nature center.

Mikie and BonsaiNut like this.
  3. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Shoot! My plan was to ride there w kioti tomorrow. Maybe I should bring a shovel instead of my bike? :unsure:

Mikie and knucklebuster like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Maybe he can give you the inside scoop what's going on. All the shelters are gone... the Boy Scout shelter at the bottom of Cholla, the shelter at the top of Mathis, and the shelters at the top and bottom of Meadows.

I didn't have time for Lynx, Rockit or Mathis, so no idea how those look. Coyote Run was in good shape, though once again people are cutting new lines, but only in a few spots. Cholla was nasty, but I'm used to it being nasty. Until they turn that trail into a one-way up, it will always be the victim of skidiots. But bulldozing the single track from the bottom of Meadows back toward the lot... that is criminal. It is 20' from the road!

5. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    The removal of the shelters/benches were discussed on STR if my memory serves me correctly. They're being replaced but have to go through the bureaucracy/approval first (ADA etc).

I think kioti has been concentrating on the Luge as of late. Maybe another storm will bring him to Aliso - I'll let you know what he says tomorrow. :thumbsup:

6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Please tell me no... the trail shelters were ripped down because they weren't ADA complaint?

Mikie likes this.
  7. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I haven't been to Aliso since early/mid Nov, which was just after our first rain of the season I think, and Meadows did have some bad ruts in it then, so can imagine what it's like now. Seems that's a tough trail to keep in shape without regular maintenance and clearing/shaping the drainages. Last time I worked with Kioti and crew on it was prob a couple rainy seasons ago, not sure it's seen any maintenance since then. We did have a little discussion recently about MS (Mentally Sensitive) and apparently someone cleaned that up some.

herzalot, Mikie and ridinrox like this.
  8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Saw a helicopter flying over and sheriff's suv going up Harding on Saturday. Then a group of fire dept and paramedics heading toward there on Santiago canyon. Do not know what happened, but cameras may be related. Any insight's on this?

Every year they use a bulldozer to groom some of OC trails. IMO it's to keep the employees busy. But a small price to pay for access to so many trails. Just think, we could be in the same situation as Sandy Eggo with few riding options.

See what I did there? Lemons to lemonade.

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    The backcountry filter works wonders for weeding out the less motivated, time constrained and the weak :cool:

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    There was an article in the Register. Two teenagers were hiking, and one went over the side, and had to be rescued by helicopter.

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  11. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    They weren't torn down on the count of ADA noncompliance. It was their way to spend more of our tax dollars. o_O

BonsaiNut and Mikie like this.
  12. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    What it was told was they took away from the wilderness park experience and were no longer approved . As if all the homes you can see lining the ridge didn't.

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    I haven't ridden Meadows since the last rain, but it wasn't too bad just prior. The cheater lines have gotten more and more traffic and are completely bisecting the actual trail. Personally, I think railing the bermed turns is much more fun than straightlining a moderate slope. I did notice some potential sinkholes forming.

We put some major Kioti-led love into that trail in 2012 and 2013 and did some more work on it last year. I am ready to grab a McLeod, shovel, tamper, pick and whatnot to reshape it and clean up the ruts, braking bumps and holes, but I have no clue how we could stop the straight-lining. I honestly don't care if hikers do it - keeps them out of the way, but I still don't know why a mt. biker would want to just go straight - well, unless he's, y'know, trying to set an impressive time down the run.

kioti and knucklebuster like this.
  14. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    There's a couple of different work parties in there coming at the trails from different directions. Between kioti when STT/Luge isn't the priority and the Laguna Canyon Foundation, there's quite a bit of work going on every week. Mentally Sensitive, Stairsteps, Lynx are some that can be attacked by the mid-week small groups when conditions are favorable (at least some drainage and stockpiling can be done when the dirt is dry and shaping when/if it rains), and the weekends are set for the larger projects like buttressing the roots of the oaks that give 5-oaks its name.

Meadows is always tough, and will always be tough because its path lends itself to cut-throughs and the traffic lends itself to an ever-increasing width. A re-route probably isn't in the cards so the best we can do is make the actual trail that much more fun and safe, and make the cut-throughs that much crappier.

Danimal and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    The park rangers and Co. should landscspe both sides of Meadows with cholla! Lots and lots of TeddyBear cholla!

BeckTrex, Danimal, kioti and 2 others like this.
  16. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks for taking a stab at a rather prickly problem.

Cougar, Oaken, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?