So this just happened...thanks REI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FizzyCola, Sep 1, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    14D58AD5-A49C-46B9-ACE6-9DA9C0CFA0B6.jpeg
    Just attempted to ride Oaks and when I got to the bottom of Chutes my chain was about to burst and had fallen off the cassette into my spokes. This was my first ride after getting my bike back from REI and their free “tune-up”. My rear deraileur was/is wobbley as heck as well. I didn’t have a spare link and my buddies had one for an 11-speed but we tried it and it was too wide. (maybe it would work and we didn’t know how?)

To be clear, I installed a 11-46 10-speed cassette and had one ride on it prior to taking it in for their free tume-up. (bought the bike there in December). During my ride I didn’t have any issues other than minor chain wanting to jump on the 46 towards the end of the ride.

Perhaps it was my bad for taking it there and trusting in their service department? I pedaled it around my block when I picked it up and it seemed to be normal.

Thoughts?

Faust29, stevers, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    What broke? The quick link? Was the Shimano chain attached with a pin or quick link?

If it was a pin....perhaps the pin wasn't seated completely.
    If it was a quick link....I break those all the time.

Was the chain the correct length?

Perhaps the chainline was a little extreme on the 1x10 with the 46t cog?

Is the derailluer tight on the hanger?

What rear derailleur? Cheap derailleurs have a lot of play in them.

Did you hit the derailleur on anything?

Unless REI removed your derailleur to check the hanger alignment, there is really nothing they could do to make your chain break.....and even then, it is highly unlikely.

Chains break.

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Take it back and ask them to get it right.

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  4. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    There have been some people that said their chain was fine after installing this cassette (mtbr thread) but some people said they did add a longer chain. Some people also added that little extension piece to the derailleur to give it a bit more space from the cassette. That might be what I need as well...not sure. My cassette didn’t come with it, but that ordered the same cassette did. Pretty sure it separated at the quick link portion.

I forgot to mention the bike has just under 200 miles on it. Is it unusual for a chain to bust with such little mileage? Rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore. Also one of the notes on my work order from REI states that the chain was in great condition with no signs of wear. ::shrug::

REI opens at 10, going to give them a call.

MTBR link:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-...nks/sunrace-cassette-wide-range-962391-5.html

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Did it look like this?
    IMG_0242.JPG

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Bummer, but stuff does happen. I’d give them a chance to explain exactly what they did. They’ll back you up in any case since you bought it there.

7. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Ended up buying a new chain from The Path and a Wolftooth Goat Link from Amazon. Should do the trick...:I hope.

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’ve had a rock bend my derailleur hanger on that trail, sending the chain into the spokes, and breaking the chain (and derailleur, and hanger...)

Check that your hanger is straight. It’s probably fine but it’s worth checking.

Faust29, FizzyCola, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  9. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Sounds like the chain was at fault here. It happens.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm confused. You installed a new cassette. Which means you probably had to install a new chain of a different length, right?

So what are you suggesting is REI's fault? Did they loosen your derailleur? Take off and reassemble your chain? Change your derailleur limit screw? Could any of this be your fault? :whistling:

That said, I don't trust department store bike mechanics anyway. They are often the ski-boot fitter and camp stove salesperson as well.

BTW I believe 11 speed quick links are narrower than 10 spd.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  11. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I honestly doubt they did anything that would cause the chain to snap like that. Probably just lubed a few things, checked the tire pressure and other super basic stuff if they are doing it for free. I suppose you could ask them what they actually do, but ideally, you should be installing a new chain with a new cassette anyway IMO. Get a couple spare quick links. Plus if you have a breaker you can at least usually get the chain functional enough to ride even without a quick link.

And yes, like Herz said, an 11sp link is narrower than a 10, which is why it wouldn't fit.

Jenson has that same chain new for $18.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7X8J7G/?tag=imtbtrails-20

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    chain does not look well lubed. there is no dirt on the edges of the sheaves. I never heard of a tune up where they remove a chain unless the chain is stretched. I guess the days of carrying a chain breaker are over.
    happy trouble free trails

13. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    this one needed lube as well. chains have the most moving pieces on your rig 144 links plus each link has two sheaves, a roller, and two inner sheaves
    lots of moving pieces on the trails

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Trust me....I know how to lube a chain. This is the chain off my SS. Probably also had about 130 miles on it between lubings....gotta love Dumonde Tech. While dirty, it was still silent. One of the advantages of the SS. Riding through the silt in the Santa Ana's doesn't allow chains to stay spotless for long. But thanks for the concern.

15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We had a tune up that completely removed the drivetrain that was put in a solvent tank. I am sure the REI freebie doesn’t include that.

16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Personally...
    I think your an animal and the shear brute force of your pedal stroke made that wimpy chain cry uncle. That's my two centavos. :thumbsup: Doctah Thundah!

17. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    I lubed it before my ride at LCWP a week and a half ago. Maybe REI cleaned it all off when they washed it?

18. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Hahaha, I think you are right!

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I use Rock and Roll Gold. My chain ALWAYS look like that! :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Faust29, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  20. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    New chain and Goat Link have been installed, all is well with the TimberJack again. :)

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  21. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Any chance it broke when you shifted gears, esp going from smaller to bigger cog, under load? Yea, me too :)

Danmtchl, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  22. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    Funny story, a similar thing happened to me in 2009ish. I broke a spoke on Thanksgiving day before heading out of town to ride. Took the wheel to REI and they graciously replaced the spoke and trued the wheel same day. Next day, I tore the chain (not at the quicklink), but like mtbikej's picture. I hadn't been riding trails for very long, and thought they might be related. In retrospect, it was probably coincidental and a bad chain line from the 3x8 days. Surprisingly, the mechanic at that REI was the best wheel builder I knew (retired roadie a wheelchair that wrenched on bikes at REI for fun). Mechanics are hit or miss at shops - sometimes they don't give a once over on the bike and just fix what you brought in the bike for. REI had a great wheel builder. A local highly recommended shop did a lower leg service and the bike came back with the handlebars 20d off and headset not preloaded.

For your issue, I'd chalk it up to coincidence. Or maybe the chain got cleaned and it shifted so quietly that you shifted under load.

Danmtchl, Mikie, FizzyCola and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?