Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Mar 21, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’m pretty confident we’ll have some kind of a season. Unless you like to go straight from the lift to the bar, it’ll be workable. A-basin opened in May, and the bike parks have to be teaching Alterra what’s possible. Likely very limited service, reservations, etc. they can roll a bunch of taco trucks up to the parking lot, and put up heated easy-ups for warming. Mandatory face coverings, etc. some places need to get more staff out on line to tidy up the lift line etiquette.

The lack of shelter will probably shut things down on stormy days though. Hence the emphasis on groomer equipment this year...and I’ve still got the split board.

I’m not so confident in the short term rental income though. I’m with you on getting out now...

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  2. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Mikie, herzalot and Redman like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Cool.

The oceans don't need more surfers, but I don't see any harm in bringing a quality wave pool/lake inland. Perhaps the next World Champ will come from Arizona! (See North Shore movie).

Mikie and singlespeedrider like this.
  4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This kid (Zeb Powell) is so fun to watch. He was adopted by family friends of ours, and got his start on the mole hill of a ski slope that I skied and worked at as a kid. His parents busted their a$$es to give him every opportunity they could to chase his dream, and it's been fun to really seem him transition over the last couple years from a really good snowboarder to one of the most stylish and creative park riders out there. After the clips in the beginning skip to around 6:00 for pure madness.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, tick and 2 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Very cool A few things you don't normally see in snowboarding... one of which is a swallow tail board being used for slopestyle. I didn't watch it all (yet) but it sounds like he has a great story. Kudos to your family friends for changing a life!

Don't all of the best snowboarders come from North Carolina?

Mikie and tick like this.
  6. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Cataloochee is a hotbed of talent, for sure. Actually, there was one other pro from my home town, but he rode for Forum for a few years and then just faded away. Nothing like what Zeb is starting to achieve though.

Mikie, tick and herzalot like this.
  7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Santa delivered my new boots yesterday, the bindings are coming but are still on the sleigh. Now to decide what board to request from the elves...

I did what I was told and went .5 size down...not sure I like it...anyone have experience with the fit/sizing of Burton boots?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Burton boots fit small for me.

Never Summer having a nice sale if you want a quality board! :thumbsup:

9. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    just thinking cool thoughts...Tuesday looks nice.
    B680ACC6-FC2F-43AC-860C-43D22073C19C.jpeg

mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I lived in CO a long time. I saw a lot of wild swings in temperature. I've not seen 82 on one day and snow the next however. Even more unlikely at the relatively low elevation of Steamboat - 6000' or so.

So I looked at Denver - even more dramatic. High of 91 forecast for Monday, and high of 35 with snow forecast for Tuesday. As I posted in the weather thread:

Denver Weather.PNG

Break out the snowboards! Maybe Never Summer is more than a catchy name?

mtnbikej and tick like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    First surf day of the year!

Yeah, I'm a little late to the party. It was a crap summer for surf anyway. Very few waves. Water temps dipping into the 50s, then up to 80, then back to low 60s. I did paddle around with my daughter at Doheny on two previous occasions, but I wouldn't call that surfing. Besides, during our last session, she caught more than I did. :oops: :inlove:

This morning the water temps felt like low 60s. A bit of a shock for the first dip, but with the sunny skies, not an issue after that. I wore a long-sleeve spring suit and was super comfy. Others ranged from full suit to no suit (well not Trail 6 no suit, I mean trunks or bikini).

Took me about an hour of flopping around before I could remember how to read the water and get myself in the right position. Caught a few. Nothing to write home about. Some dolphins joined us - that's always fun. Better than mt. lions - and when there are dolphins, there aren't sharks.

I usually end my ride reports with the data. So here: 1.5 hours. Maybe 4 waves. But PLENTY of exercise. I'll try again tomorrow. :thumbsup: Boards are fun(?)! :cool:

12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Heading that way at the end of the month, it did cross my mind to wonder when A Basin will try to open. I think we’ll be a couple weeks too early.

herzalot likes this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    A Basin is never first to open 'cuz they still don't have snowmaking. Usually it's Keystone - by Halloween. Last year Mt. High opened before CO resorts.

Rumpled and tick like this.
  14. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    It's coming. Starting to get giddy that I'm probably not much more than a month away from my first time on a snowboard in 18 months.

This guy's edits always me hyped. No helicopters, no giant kickers or rails. Just amazing riding in every man type terrain.

herzalot and tick like this.
  15. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Or bikes.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 6.40.01 AM.png

ddmansprty, herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Picked up a Jones Frontier today. On sale, and REI threw in a $20 gift card, plus the 5% credit card rebate. no wonder all the other ski shops in town seem to have shut...

Nothing better than a 90* day to hang out in the garage assembling a new board and bindings.

Passes came in the mail too.

29 days...

herzalot and buggravy like this.
  17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    That's a nice pick up!

I still haven't ponied up for the pass yet. Kept waiting to see what would shake out with potential reservations, etc., though in retrospect it's hard to imagine a scenario where I wouldn't end up with a pass, so probably a dunce move. That said, my wife didn't feel the need for passes all around, so we'll probably do family days at June where the rugrat rides for free, and just do lift tickets for my wife. We sold the condo last month as well. All weirdness aside, I'm as excited as I've ever been for an impending snow season. 36 days for me, if all goes according to tradition/plan.

herzalot and tick like this.
  18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I don’t think you’ll end up regretting skipping the pass. La Niña looks to be sticking around through the season, and it’s not looking good for any letup of the pandemic before spring. Which means all the snow will be up in Idaho & Montana, places where I’d prefer not to breathe right about now.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=3

herzalot and buggravy like this.
  19. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Sh!t just got real. New board arrived today. Never Summer Hammer. First traditional camber board pressed under the NS brand name in over a decade. Limited pressing 30th anniversary throwback graphic is delightfully terrible. New ankle straps arrived for my Union Force bindings. Kudos to Union for making parts from the high end bindings available for purchase a la carte to upgrade the work horse bindings. It won’t be long now.

FE59A20E-C9F9-4F4C-A339-EA0E4EA7067C.jpeg

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and tick like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That graphic isn't terrible.. IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!

NS buddies!

Never Summer Heritage.JPG

I don't know - CO bikes, CO boards, does this mean we are going steady?

buggravy and DangerDirtyD like this.
  21. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    In the almost surfing category, I went SUP paddling (yes, redundant) in Newport Harbor today. Just wearing shorts and a shirt.
    It's the freaking 1st of November.
    Air was very nice.
    Water was just chilly, but totally manageable.
    My friends in Boston just posted pics of big snow, and my relatives in Ohio say it's coming there.
    Paddling in November is why we live here.

buggravy, tick and herzalot like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    First dip below freezing predicted for next Saturday at Mt. High. Slight chance of snow showers in Big Bear also next Saturday. I'm ready!

buggravy, tick and Rumpled like this.
  23. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Shopping for skis for the wife. Trying to figure out why Nordica’s women’s all mountain ski is called the Santa Ana.

herzalot, buggravy and DangerDirtyD like this.
  24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Haha, great minds......, or something.

herzalot likes this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yay!

Mt High Weather 11-6-20.png

buggravy, tick and DangerDirtyD like this.
  26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    And..... Just in time for the opener late next week. Looks like excellent conditions for round the clock snow making all week.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 5.35.50 AM.png

DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mammoth's great, but that drive and the overnight stays required make it a costly once-a-season affair for me. But wow, what a mountain when the weather cooperates!

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    It has become a milk run for me. I actually enjoy the drive, especially if I'm doing it alone. I wonder if the pandemic related conditions will drive accommodation costs down this year. I read this morning that there is going to be no ski-school, group lessons, or daycare available.

On a happy note, Mammoth just brought back $200 off the season pass for a couple weeks.

29. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I expect the inside people going outside will continue into winter. And with all the stories of tech workers moving permanently to ski towns, it is interesting times in mountain real estate.

On the other hand, last week Mono county had the worst per-capita covid outbreak in CA. So maybe this discussion will be moot soon.:poop:

I wonder if living north of DTLA affects ones perception of the Mammoth drive.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    1000%

It takes us southerners 2-3 hours to get into the open whichever route we take on a Friday afternoon. Then it’s 3.5 to 4 more hours.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?