Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Mar 21, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
  2. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    mountaingirl sara and buggravy like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Bummer. Invented a sport and an industry and stayed at the top the whole time. Ride in Peace, Jake.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    In other news that Jake might appreciate, Mt. High got 8" of snow and has snowmaking temps. They should be able to open a few runs very soon. I think they may beat the Big Bear areas to opening day this year. Snow Summit is scheduled to open on T-Giving Day, and Bear Mt. on White Friday.

Hopefully next week's storm will see temps below freezing again from 5000' up.

Got me a new snowboard and bindings at the end of last season that I haven't tried yet.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mt. High opened today! :thumbsup: They have a higher season total snowfall than Mammoth. :confused:

Snow Summit scheduled to open on T-Giving Day. Bear Mt. on Friday.

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Next week will make it even better.

7. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Did some one say snow sports?
    KGO2uc6dL32GcRlSvfzIE1kPbpii7ZOX7L1Z-f7xoW0-2048x1536.jpg

Oaken, Old&InTheWay, Rumpled and 9 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I’m finna head for mt high in the morning for 1/2 day. Anyone wanna come with me?

30” out of this storm by tomorrow.

9. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    138 is closed. I was thinking of getting some Ikon Pass laps in at Summit, but maybe not...we had family members miss dinner today due to being snowed in up at Mt. Pinos.

mountaingirl sara and herzalot like this.
  10. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    6 quick laps at Summit this morning...low tide and chunky, decided it wasn’t worth continuing and risking my base or my tailbone. Ive never before encountered icy corduroy, frozen mashed potatoes, slush, fresh fake pow, and dry land all in the span of one turn.

Bike Park is still peeking out.

It was sunny and 48 on the mountain, 55 and rainy at the Corner Bakery in Redlands.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yikes!

As I posted elsewhere, this is what I encountered this morning:
    PC 12-14-19.JPG
    Fluffy!

You're looking at a groomed run. The un-groomed runs had about 18"-24" :thumbsup:

Snowmaking temps are returning to our southland mountains! Phew! Better than nothing. :thumbsup:

12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    excellent. We’re headed to mammoth next weekend, where apparently there is actual snow...

we splurged on the Ikon Pass this year. The daughter heads off to college next fall, and that will make us cash flow negative for a while. So we decided to get it out of our systems in one big season: Aspen in January (ok, technically Carbondale...), and Big Sky in March. Just have to stay healthy now...

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Last year was a season for the ages both in SoCal and in the Colorado Rockies. Looks like this year is off to an even better start. I hope Aspen and Big Sky are AWESOME for you this year, before you become financially destitute with college debt.

Why is that a thing? (Rhetorical and somewhat political question. No need to answer).

14. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    my son has been the ideal child, financially speaking, living at home while studying electrical engineering at a public university near the best trail in the world:whistling:. My daughter wants to not be around her parents so much...she already got her rejection note from Stanford (no surprise..) and we only have two more private schools to hear back from, so I’m expecting in-state tuition, but there’s still housing...

15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    biathlon World Cup on Olympic Channel is surprisingly entertaining.

How is America not a perpetual contender? We have snow, we have guns, guns on snow seems like a winner. US put one woman on a podium last year, and it was a big deal.

most of the competitors are European border guards. Over here, apparently the National Guard in the snow states are the big participants. This seems like a job for delta force snipers imo.

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mt. High got a foot of fresh overnight and snow is predicted for the next three days! Wow - local mountains hit the holidays big time this year with a 24-30" storm over Thanksgiving and perhaps a similar one over Christmas. Very rare. I cannot tell you how many years those two breaks included sunshine, dry weather and marginal snow.

Gonna have to go git some either tomorrow or Friday - or both. You all can just huddle inside and lament the fact that you can't (comfortably) go ride your bikes. :whistling:

Diversify!

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

says who? :cautious:

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OK, fixed it...

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Biathlon requires too much effort. Americans with guns need a snowmobile or a quad (and beer). Now THAT would be a sport Americans could dominate!

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    As promised, I headed to Mt. High this morning, despite warnings that the roads were closed. CalTrans said open, but chains or AWD required.

Wow it was gorgeous up there today! Mormon rocks at the 15 and 138 were covered in snow - looked like Moab in winter.

Chain control right away as I turned onto the 2 from the 138. Mr. Chain Control stopped me, momentarily. "All wheel drive?" "Yup." "Go ahead." Yay! Definitely a ton of snow on the road, but no problems getting there. 4th row parking at 8:00 am. Can't say as much for the thousands who came behind me - they were still lined up when I left.

About 3-5 feet of very thick, but not wet, snow. Never seen snow like that before. Very difficult for this intermediate snowboarder to handle. After a few misadventures, I stayed on the groomed and worked on riding switch stance. Crowds were light, because everyone was stuck on the road.

Mt High 12-27-19.JPG

Heritage 12-27-19.JPG

DangerDirtyD, tick, mtnbikej and 11 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mini Bomb Squad attack on Mt. High today....
    TtB and N8.JPG
    I only got one pic before my phone died. @Tom the Bomb got more. The other guy is N8Ag (Nate Silver) - long time friend of mine. Some of you have ridden with him before.

15 runs on a sunny day with a couple of AWESOME dudes. Now drinking a Red Trolley at home with my girls watching the sun go down over Catalina. So Cal sucks.... :whistling:
    What a great way to end 2019!

HNY my IMTB brothers and sisters!

22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Effing awesome!

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Here are a couple from N8.
    Me on skis after 10 runs on snowboard.
    Chris at Mt High - Skis.JPG

The ocean and Catalina were crystal clear from the top of this chairlift. A little hard to see in this picture, but surreal to behold in real life. That's Nate. you can see me and Tom in the reflection of N8's goggles.
    N8 at Mt High - Catalina.JPG

24. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Oh yahhhhh! I saw somewhere deep in post history that Herz was planning on attacking Mt. High today. We had been threatening to hit the snow together since last year and it looked like it could happen today. Checked the weather and it looked great until about 6 P.M. last night. Then the winds kicked up and up and up! I thought the state was gonna blow away! We were set to carpool at 6:30 this morning . I don't think I got more than 2 hours of sleep. I finally got up at 5 and it was still howling. I checked Weather underground and interestingly they were posting 7-10 mph wind waning around 10.. Well that did not sound too bad. The wind was coming out of the North so the mountains may just knock it down . I canceled the text I had ready to send Herz and off we went up the 15. Crazy winds up there. Trucks pulled over, tipped over and even one tipped over and headed the wrong way! We turned off the freeway and wtf! No wind! We pull in to the lot and it looks great! After breakfast Nate strolls in, we reconnect, suit up and are on the lift . There were a few gusts at the top but all and all a great day on the mountain. Probably one of the best I have had there. The snow was awesome. I had worried the we would be in the sticky wet stuff but not today! Soft , dry and fluffy. We boarded for the first part of the day, took a short break went back to the car , swapped out the boards for the skis and finished off a beautiful day on the mountain.
    Nate and Herz were killing it. Boarding or skiing these guys can do it!
    A couple tip overs an oh chit moments but all good.
    Thanks Herz, my first day in the white stuff this year was one to remember. We will watch the weather and be back at it soon.
    You guys rocked it!
    TTB

QUOTE="herzalot, post: 203537, member: 424"]Mini Bomb Squad attack on Mt. High today....

I only got one pic before my phone died. @Tom the Bomb got more. The other guy is N8Ag (Nate Silver) - long time friend of mine. Some of you have ridden with him before.

15 runs on a sunny day with a couple of AWESOME dudes. Now drinking a Red Trolley at home with my girls watching the sun go down over Catalina. So Cal sucks.... :whistling:
    What a great way to end 2019!

HNY my IMTB brothers and sisters![/QUOTE]

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

DangerDirtyD, tick, mtnbikej and 15 others like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    @herzalot cool shots with those mirrored goggles!

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I agree, but look closely - that's a selfie taken by Nathan!

27. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I caught that!

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Another awesome Mt High day today. This time with my daughter. 12 runs - some drama, some elation. Finished on a high note. Home by 3pm. Sorry, no pics today.

29. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Way to go daddio!!:thumbsup:

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    "I don't like jumping. I LOVE it!"

(Mind you, jumping to her is 1' of air, but I am soooo stoked about that comment). :inlove:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?