Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Mar 21, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    On the XC side, Jessie Diggins took gold in the 10k today. :inlove:

Watching the World Cup alpine races from the weekend, they mentioned the US gold medal in Team Parallel Slalom at the World Championships last week. I don’t recall seeing a team alpine race before. Had that early X Games vibe, not quite super modified shovel racing but not the Hahnenkamm either.

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    XC is to skiing what XC is to mt biking!

A Sh!t ton of exercise with little reward. Even worse in skiing. At least modern XC mt bike courses have rocks and drops and Sh!t.

3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    XC is straight up roadie. Time trials are terrible TV either way. Guns make XC way more watchable.

Question: Jessie or Micaela?

The answer is probably Lindsey though.

Danmtchl, Rumpled and herzalot like this.
  4. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Shopping for boots, pretty sure I dont want soft flex, want firm or stiff. I always seen to crank my bindings, dont like any slop.
    Are these pretty stiff?

Thanks!

Redman, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I have to say, the Jerrys of Bear IG has become one of the great joys of my life. Thanks again @tick.

tick, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ride Deadbolt. If they still make them. Or if you really want stiff - Ride Insano.

My Ride Deadbolts circa 2019 have a velcro/leather strap across the top to reinforce the Boa lacing. Looks like they did away with that for 2023.

Here's the 2020 version - very much like mine, except mine are black and brown:
    Ride Deadbolt 2020.png
    As a former ski racer who is used to very stiff boots, I wanted a fairly stiff snowboard boot / binding. I've had the deadbolts since 2019 and I still love them. Not stupid stiff, but definitely substantive. Then again, I'm not a very good snowboarder.

scottay and Danmtchl like this.
  7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I started out boarding with flexy boots on K2 Clicker step-in bindings so that was all I knew. The boots lasted me 5-6 seasons and by then, the market had changed and most snowboard boots were crazy stiff....to me. I've never found a pair yet that was as comfortable as those boots from 1994. This year I moved on to the Burton step-in system and have these Photon boots which I wish were more flexy but are comfy and the BOA system is a must have for the rest of my life. https://www.backcountry.com/b/burto...6adbqrtF2e_vtsWOgp9oNpHlF3CI2mbxoCvIMQAvD_BwE

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’m still sold on Burton’s binding, 2.5 seasons in. The little clicky noise in the toes still gets me occasionally but the payback is in lap times.

9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Cherry Peak is REALLY small in comparison to most Utah resorts. BUT the price reflects that AND it is never crowded. Never waited more than 2-3 minutes to get on the lifts.
    Beaver SHOULD be good on Friday, they got 30" + on Monday night and more since.

Danmtchl, scottay, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  10. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    If'n I remember correcty they are right in the middle. I like to crank down the lower laces and leave the uppers a little loose. But, I do crank my straps down, at least the top one. IF I had the $ I would buy the Burton step in system. But I don't so the Nitro's work good enough for me. AND, I think you can get them with the BOA lace system too.

11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Getting lots of great leftovers at Snowbasin today!! Beautiful here.

75816E3D-E062-4559-9DFC-B7182873B079.jpeg

681BC923-6F5D-4FCE-9AAF-33643FBF0371.jpeg

Old&InTheWay, bvader, Walleye and 5 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My colleague who lives in Wrightwood says CalTrans will not be opening the 2 this weekend between the 138 and Wrightwood. So no Mt. High.

tick, scottay and Danmtchl like this.
  13. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I wish that I didn’t think that was wise. Whichever road opens first will be an immediate jerryfest.

1000 years from now archaeologists will determine the historical extent of the California snowpack by finding piles of broken plastic sleds.

herzalot, Danmtchl, mtbMike and 4 others like this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    As planned, we went to Beaver Mountain today which is 25'ish miles NE up Hwy 89 out of Logan, UT. You're in Logan Canyon the entire time and it is stunningly beautiful....even saw some elk enjoying breakfast on the hillside 20' from the road. Our first time up here and I'm going to be completely biased since we had another 6-8" of snow up top and I will trade fast lifts and no frills for no crowds and $60 lift tickets 7 days a week. My oh my, if you're a tree skier/boarder, this place was nirvana. I lapped tree runs literally allay and was making first tracks 50% minimum until our last run. I very rarely ride past 3 pm but we took the last lift we could today. I can't say enough positive things about this mom & pop place. It helps being retired for sure but I'll watching the weather next year and we'll be back!!! On to a week at Park City tomorrow. Bring on the crowds and $25 burgers. :gag:

CB22AACD-BCF2-4C1A-8A66-08CCFDF6442B.jpeg

7D5155F6-99BA-42C4-8036-349C09A93952.jpeg

B1D6D1D9-CD99-4D35-9EA9-F810E5BE4E21.jpeg

Old&InTheWay, Oaken, Walleye and 6 others like this.
  15. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Epic Passes for 23/24 season went on sale today. IKON apparently following later this week from what I hear.

Danmtchl likes this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Somebody has to blow the lid off of this price fixing bullshit in the ski industry. Buy a pass or pay $200 + a day. Then, fly there, rent some place to stay, rent some equipment, eat... A family of 4 is $2000+ a day! Where do all these people get that kind of disposable income?

bvader, Rumpled, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Imunna throw my snow sliding crap in my car tonight so that I can head to Mt. High after work tomorrow. I doubt I will, but I will give myself that option. Drive time is 1:09 at noon and 2:15 at 4 pm. Don't ask what it is at 5 pm.

scottay, tick, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  18. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I don't know....these passes are what brought us back into the game. I got mine for $664 so with current lift rates (they aren't ever coming back down), I only need to do 3 days to "break even". Not working and being able to leave on a moments notice is also a game changer. Working in education and having to travel on the busiest weekends is the worst possible scenario as a skier. It also doesn't help living in Southern CA. As @Redman has discovered at Cherry Creek and I found at Beaver Mountain, there are great deals to be had with the same quality snow if you're willing to accept less amenities and wow factor that the mega resorts have.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Of course - if you don't have to factor in transportation and lodging, it's a great deal. And if you have read any of my posts, you know that I like the smaller ski areas with easy access and I don't require or desire mega resorts, however, if I buy an Epic or Ikon pass, I have to travel. And as you mention, in education, my days off are the busiest and worst days to ski. So no - the passes are not a good deal for me. The passes - like athletic club memberships - are aimed at squids like me who will probably buy them because they are such a deal, but then not actually use them more than the 3 times it takes to pay for them. And am I supposed to buy three of them? And which one Ikon or Epic? I have family in Truckee and Avon. I just want to walk up to a window and purchase a reasonably priced day or half-day ticket for me, my wife and my kid. But that will NEVER happen in my lifetime again.

Now get off my slopes! :mad:

20. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Been near a Disney resort lately? Or a golf course?

Based on the crowds I’d say the problem is that the prices are too low!

When I worry that high prices might be squeezing the regular joes out of the sport, I just go for a ride on the Bear Mtn shuttle and the worry goes away.

mtbMike, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  21. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Tahoe and Avon= Epic. Assuming it’s South Tahoe of course. But really it’s not a close call.

Epic has a great 2 day pass for under $200, but you gotta plan ahead. Yeah I know…

edit: just saw that you have Sierra ski ranch on your Mt. High pass. They got hit by the fire a couple years ago, so no telling what shape it’s in, but it’s where I learned to snowboard. That is a worthwhile destination resort in a below-the-radar way.

22. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Edit:wrong thread..

Danmtchl likes this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't do Disney. And I rarely golf.

But yes, from a purely economic point of view, clearly the poor huddled masses yearning to breathe free can afford to ski / snowboard.
    There's no shortage of people. Of ALL walks of life.

Oh and Truckee - not South Lake.

Danmtchl, mtbMike and tick like this.
  24. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    If I had to pay $200 a day to Mtb I wouldn't be riding. Just saying.

And I'll be in Tahoe/Reno for work in two weeks. No skiing though, cause I don't care for that white stuff. :gag: :facepalm::p

But I see the attraction, have fun and go get some!

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  25. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Even though I posted this on the Killer Deals thread, I am posting it here. Cause it's related to snow sports surfing.

The-House online outdoor store is closing shop fo eva! Giving an additioanl 40% off on ALL items SITE WIDE. Good snowboard stuff to choose from.

https://www.the-house.com/

the house.jpg

26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    New board day. Academy Master that I advertised above. It actually arrived a week or so ago, but just got bindings mounted up. Essentially the same board as the Tom Sims Pro that didn't need replacing, but it went to a good home, and I kind of just had the itch after the Mercury didn't work out. As to when it will actually see snow....who knows. At least we're setting up for an endless Spring season, and it looks like I'll actually get to sneak away to Mammoth with my snow bunny bride relatively soon.

02C2E2A3-25BE-4CB3-A549-CF1A46AB6A42.jpeg

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Very cool looking board. No teenager graphics! But them binders seem to be pretty far back, yes?

Danmtchl and buggravy like this.
  28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I think it's mostly a weird pic. The board itself has a 2cm-ish setback on the sidecut, and the bindings are centered on the inserts. The board looks more directional/setback than it is because of the stubby tail and pointy nose. On normal (not powder) snow it rides just like your standard directional twin.

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  29. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Went up to my local Cherry Peak this morning. They open the peak chair on Thursday thru Sunday. Since Sunday the resort has got closer to 3 feet. Knee deep pow on the ungrounded, which is 90% of what accessible by the peak chair. I was the 2nd chair to the top. Best runs of the season so far! Got some fresh pow turns. Hope next Thursday is as good.

6E1CA194-71CB-4380-B1FC-B53BDADC1CB8.jpeg

B430CD50-A87F-461A-BA05-BF3438E06034.jpeg

F662F6B4-8BA0-4E08-AD6B-A7EF64EBF451.jpeg

C399ACAC-877B-4F14-8AF1-11B48132ED92.jpeg

30. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    GoPro snap from today. I mounted the camera on the tip of the nose. Doesn't work good in kneed deep powpow bropal. After the first 2 or 3 turns the lens gets covered.

3923 frshpowtrns.jpg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?