Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Mar 21, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    The lines of that thing look great! Super fun. Is it ever ridden twin? Or only quad? Cool tail also

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    That is a sick board, love the lines and color.

herzalot likes this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Thanks guys! I'm pretty stoked!

@MolarM I think it's designed only as a quad. Maybe could do twin plus little stabilizers but I doubt it would perform as designed if just running it as a twin.

I just hope I can stand on the thing. I know it will catch waves, and I know it will ride great if and when I get to my feet. I may be able to get out Saturday morning to give 'er a go, although there's a high tide over 5' about 8 am which pretty much screws up the whole morning. May be good for a while around 10 am if the wind stays down. I'll bet the cool temps and consistent strong winds over the past couple of days will drop the water temps below 60 too! :eek:

Surfing is too fickle. I need to take up mt. biking! :thumbsup:

4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Damn that thing wants me to learn to surf!
    Looks very cool!

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Me too!

Tom the Bomb and Danmtchl like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    On a different note - Mt. High opening next Thursday! Blew a bunch of snow last night and they expect to again tonight, Then a foot of real snow next week.

Surf, Turf and Slide! 'Tis the season! :cool:

buggravy, Danmtchl, tick and 2 others like this.
  7. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    ‘Tis the season- Luv it!
    And Mammoth opens tomorrow - a bit earlier than they thought.
    Speaking of riding- I’m going roadie tomorrow doing “Bike the Coast”. It’s a 50 from O’side Pier to Torrey Pines and back. Not a race, just a fun ride

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Must..not…buy…Mt high pass…

they’re close to getting me with the $300 deal for Ikon pass peeps. But we already upgraded Ikon to add Aspen for this season as a 25th anniversary present, and I keep telling myself that the parking pass makes it less of a deal…

I think I’ll spend tomorrow afternoon scraping the summer wax off. Just need to be ready…

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You summer wax your skis / board? Impressive! I haven't done that since my race days.

Mt. High is stupid. Who wants to drive for 75 minutes over easy roads, park by the lifts, ski / ride 15 nice runs and be home by 2:00 to go mt. biking or play golf?

Oaken, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    On a different note - T - 2 hours to try out the Blue Beast! Wish me luck! I haven't surfed in a month, so I have zero expectations.

11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I see your alpine adventure and raise you breakfast at Faustie’s after a midnight romp through the hills.

Danmtchl likes this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Danmtchl, herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    We should plan an iMTBplayinthesnow.com day! Dudes can snowboard/ski, dads can build snowmen with the meegies, moms can do both, and we top it off with an epic snowball fight!

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well - I had zero expectations and I met every one them! No waves to speak of. The ones that did come required a longboard. Bummer.
    Plenty of waves at Lowers! And about a gajillion people fighting for them... like seagulls on a crust of bread.

Gotta wait til next Friday to try again. Looks a bit rainy. Might have to ride my winter boards instead.

tick, Danmtchl and Obsidian like this.
  15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ready to Ride...
    BQ Ready to Ride.jpg

Too bad the waves weren't and I wasn't.

Danmtchl, Oaken, tick and 1 other person like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Like this?
    TtB and N8.JPG

18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    9000 foot snow level. The cam at the 8800 foot level at Bear shows zero white stuff, and the man made has been washed off the bottom.

Mt High has pushed back opening…

Danmtchl likes this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    It was snowing on the Mt. High West Base cam about two hours ago (7000'). Cams not functioning now. About 6-10" expected tonight and cold temps overnight for the next few nights should allow snowmaking to continue. I expect to see them open next week, if not this weekend still.

Mt. High Weather 11-8-22.png

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And away we goooooooo!!! Mt. High opens tomorrow.

Opening Day Mt High.png

21. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Big Bear decided to keep pace. Early openings all around.

herzalot, Danmtchl and buggravy like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Tiny surf, high tide and cold air and water. Sounds delightful! But Surfline said 2-3' and 64° water at Trail 1, so why not go try to get a couple before my daughter's water polo matches.

Here was the parking lot - before and AFTER my 1-hour session (8:00 am-9:00 am)
    Empty Trail 1 Lot.jpg

I was literally the only one on the beach and the only surfer in the water. I didn't even need to use a towel to change! :eek: :gag:

It was actually pretty fun. I brought the right board (7'8" short longboard) and rode about 6 or 7. I'll take it!

And all you CA haters are right. It's waaaaaay too crowded here to have any fun! :whistling:

23. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    You are a few trails off to be engaging in that behavior…

Went up to Summit, more to shake down the gear rather than engage in serious sliding—with all the preseason sales going on right now, I wanted to figure out what can probably last another season, and what should be replaced now. Decided the helmet and goggles can wait, but the gloves are done.

Wax was appropriately slippery. I think I put the warm-temp wax on last May but I can’t say for sure.

The snow guns were running and the snow was actually decent, where they had made it. Not really all that many people, all things considered. but one lift is not enough and only one person minding the lift line is certainly inadequate.

Off the mountain, town was pretty quiet. A few Jeeps Jeeping, and not-so-great traffic coming down, but a very mellow vibe once you get beyond the snow play insanity near Running Springs.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Surfed today.

Skiing with daughter and my buddy Taylor tomorrow. Daughter has new skis to try and Taylor has a new snowboard and bindings. We will be home in time for a mt bike ride or a surf.

Surfing Monday and Tuesday. Riding Thursday and Friday.

I HATE SoCal!!!!

buggravy, Rumpled and Danmtchl like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oh and I added the tailpad to the new board this afternoon. I wanted to ride it a couple of times first to see where the balance point is for me and my stance.

Now it looks right!
    Tail Pad on Bobby Quad.jpg

Sasquatch9billion and Danmtchl like this.
  26. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have the same one on my twin pin, it has a great feel to it. Better than the creatures one on my Red Dingo.

Sasquatch9billion and herzalot like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    First ski day of the year for us today. Quick jaunt to Mt. High so my daughter could try out her new skis, and my buddy Taylor could try out his new snowboard setup (new board, bindings and boots). Taylor bought all new gear last year as he returned to snowboarding after a 12 year hiatus, but he wanted beefier stuff so he got a longer, stiffer board, stiffer bindings and stiffer boots. He made a good choice. He looked better on this new stuff today than on last year's gear.

Ruby wasn't in a very good mood to start the day, but she came around. She was making good turns on her new skis (up 10 cm and not a junior ski) despite her sore ankle, recent ongoing respiratory illness and melancholy mood. She was exhausted but all smiles by the time we finished.

As usual - left Laguna around 6:40 am, parked close to the lodge at 7:55. Breakfast sandwich, pick up the season passes, get suited and booted and on the lifts around 8:45. I think Taylor and I did 9 runs, Ruby did 7. We did stop for lunch. We drove away at 1:00. After a stop for Chai and to fill up my low tire - home by 3:00.

Mt High Chair 11-20-22 Taylor, Chris and Ruby.jpg

Ruby Mt High 11-20-22.jpg

Danmtchl, Danimal, Rumpled and 3 others like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I rode this today. It was the right choice. Usual spot. Usual crowd. 2-3' 63° water. Caught about 6, including one very good left.

Surfing is fun, when it is.

This photo is not from today, as you can tell by the presence of clouds. Those who follow my every move will know that I now ride my Stewart 949 in its intended 5-fin mode and not the 1+2 pictured here.

949 and Pack Trail 1.jpg

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    How can I ride a bike when the waves are like this?

Middles 11-27-22.jpg
    This was a medium sized wave at Middle Trestles this morning around 9:15 am. Some were a foot or so bigger. Tide over 5.75' at this time should have had the place swamped out. Nope. It was ridiculously good. How did I do, you ask? Meh. I had a couple of good ones, but missed the great ones either due to poor positioning and/or poor wave selection, or someone else being in better position than me. But still the ones I caught were very fun! For the record, I rode my 6'8" Stewart Quad Fish.

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    By pushing on the pedals??? Just a thought...:whistling:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?