Smooth trails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tfitz, Nov 26, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tfitz

tfitz Member

Name:
    tom fitz
    I was wondering if there are many smooth trails for family rides or recovery. My suggestions from south to north.
    Otay lakes
    Rancho Penasquitos
    Dailey ranch
    Whiting ranch
    El Moro

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I think Whiting Ranch may be the best place in Orange County for an introduction to mountain biking. Yes, Mustard is a bear to climb for newbs and kids, but the swoopy fun trails with a gentle grade under a canopy of trees makes up for the grind - and is representative of the best the sport has to offer (twisty, turny singletrack on mostly good dirt through the trees). Experienced riders often forget just how intimidating trail-riding can be to someone with little or no similar background. I am sure any segment of trail with braking bumps, rocks, ruts or substantial pitch is going to feel scary and intimidating to a tentative adult or youngster. I know Aliso is no place for a newb unless he/she just stays on the lower fire roads and trail segments. I also know that a lot of people get injured at the Fullerton Loop. I assume that's because of the loose-over-hardpack trail conditions that make it more slippery than it appears, but that's just a guess (never ridden there).

Welcome to IMTB Fitz! And Happy Thanksgiving!

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, AKAlan and 3 others like this.
  3. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    you forgot Aliso

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and tfitz like this.
  4. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I love Aliso as a learning park. It's literally the park I learned all of my mountain biking skills in. As you can go from gentle fire road climbs (Wood Canyon), to beginning single track (Coyote), to harder climbs (Dripping Cave), to practicing switch backs (North side of Dripping), to grueling climbs (Mathis), to technical climbs (Cholla), to descents of varying technical difficulties and styles letting you grow and tackle challenges at your own speed (Meadows -> Rock-It -> Lynx -> 5 Oaks -> Car Wreck, etc.).

HOWEVER. As a family recovery ride destination in South County, I think Whiting is stronger as Herz points out (although I would start at the proper parking lot and ignore/skip Mustard entirely). It's a good long distance to get from the parking lot to any dirt trails at Aliso, and it's relatively boring for the kids. Conversely if you start at MILF park you've got a shorter entrance into the park, but only a fairly steep fire road descent nearly immediately, or Cholla which isn't going to be fun for the family. You COULD go up "cheater Cholla" and just go out and back on West Ridge which might be the best Aliso family option (the wall climbing up to Mathis sucks for families).

Mikie and tfitz like this.
  5. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    If you have young kids I would look at irvine park. You can stay on the fire roads to the dam and come back on some of the flat single track at the base. Over to puma ridge. Nice easy trails and when they get more advance you can run them over to oaks from the park.

Mikie, ridinrox, HBkites and 2 others like this.
  6. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Chino Hills would work as well. The out and back on Telegraph to four corners is smooth and easy. Coming back on South Ridge is easy, but has a couple of decent climbs.

Mikie, BeckTrex and tfitz like this.
  7. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Fairview park in Costa Mesa is where I'm training the next generation of Clydesdales.

(photos are form OTH)

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

tfitz, Torrent77, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    CHSP telegraph canyon.
    Irvine Park

tfitz, Torrent77 and Mikie like this.
  9. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Carbon Canyon Regional Park. There is a short trail on the south side inside the park and a longer fireroad to 4 corners on the east side of the park. Both are smooth.

Plus the park has a giant lake and playgrounds for the kids as well and grills in case you want to make it a picnic.

tfitz and Mikie like this.
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I took a friend that wanted to ride in the dirt, rode the dirt road to 4 corners then back and had BBQ by the lake. He thought it was fun and challenging, I enjoyed the company and had a great BBQ afterwords.

It's a good place to take someone that doesn't really ride, it'll be a good time.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I got nothing (Hah hah!)
    Everthing out my way is steep trails or steep fire roads. Do NOT bring them to Frazier Park! :Roflmao:thumbsup:

Glad there are so many options down that way!

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Soooooooo.....I get the gist that the trails around your place and not flat. :confused::unsure::cautious:

Mikie likes this.
  13. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    I was about to start a new thread on this very topic, but it seems recent enough to just add on.

My eight year old has been riding casually with me for the last year or two, but recently started getting more serious. Finding the right trails for him has been a challenge. Newer Dad's will hopefully find this progression useful, and Older Dad's have offered a lot of good ideas above here.

1. Aliso Woods - Great starting location, as young as 5. As long as it's not too sandy, this is a great first dirt experience. Riding the pavement, then dirt, then pushing "up" to Dripping Cave is a great early adventure. Push further up the valley as your little guy advances. Coyote is good for the way back when he's ready for singletrack, although there are a few sketchy parts they will have to walk (and you may need to take the bike).

2. Irvine Park (current) - There is TONS of flat single track between the park and the dam. We circle the park once, climbing to the bench, and then head out for loops into the singletrack. We can usually do 6-8 miles with only a couple hundred feet of climbing, very little exposure, yet good twisting smooth singletrack.

3. Whiting (next) - As mentioned above, a great introductory MTB site for the newbie adult, although a bit advanced for a young rider. My main hesitation for my 8 year old is other people. Whiting is crowded! Also, Mustard is a fairly long haul, but I think we're almost ready to take it on.

Other ideas I have (including those mentioned above):

El Moro Canyon Trail - I've ridden El Moro a lot, but always from the 133 and mainly staying up top. But I've heard this is a nice shady fire road. Not sure it's a long enough ride though?
    Chino Hills - I've never actually been here, but this might fit the bill perfectly as I've heard it described as long, gradual, valley fireroads.
    Blackstar - I've thought about just riding up Blackstar with him, until he gets pooped out and we can cruise back. Unfortunately some of the steepest parts are right there after the waterfall entrance.

So the only real flat singletrack I've found is a bit at Aliso and a fair lot at Irvine Park. Any other thoughts?

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

After riding at Chino Hills for the first time last weekend with mtnbikej and Runs with Scissors, I think that is one of the best places around for beginners young and old... miles and miles of flat (ish) fire roads and pristine single track once your little guy is ready for the climb to get to it. I even commented on the way out that the majority of riders we ran into were on the newb side...

My boys rode O'Neill first, and then the Bell Trail to Caspers- mostly because they are local for us. If I had known about Chino when they were little, it would have been on the list.

15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Quail Hill Loop in Irvine is a 2-mile flat-ish, wide, hardpack, loop with free parking.

Shady canyon trail parking
    Irvine, CA 92612
    https://goo.gl/maps/1Z4wefm8BA92

tfitz, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  16. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    also Peters Canyon in Irvine.

tfitz and DangerDirtyD like this.
  17. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Unless you ride Peter's Canyon at night, be prepared to share the trail with 100++ hikers.

siata94 likes this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Also Bommer Meadow, Bommer Pass, and Nature Loop are great for smooth rides to build a child's skill and confidence. (Free parking and clean bathrooms).
    Dropped Pin
    near Turtle Rock, Irvine, CA
    https://goo.gl/maps/dG27W4VJ1tG2

19. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    and dogs too... but for a family ride I think that could actually be a good thing. I never ride there, only hike (with dog).

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  20. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    The beginner-friendly trails at CHSP is the telegraph to 4 corners (almost 8 miles) and the Bane road to Corona (7 miles)

21. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Depending on how much mileage you're looking for, there are several options in South OC. Tijeras Creek is fun, beginner-friendly singletrack. Arroyo Trabuco is a mix of fireroad and single-ish track with the added fun of creek crossings. They can be done as a loop with a bit of road tossed in. These are the trails used for the Rwanda ride (25-mile), minus the climbs in O'Neill. The full loop is about 13 miles, and you can include more climbing or less (the full Tijeras Creek trail has some steep, but not too long, climbs, but you can skip that part by using Antonio Parkway). Or either can be done as an out-and-back. For the OAB on Trabuco, you can start in O'Neill or at Cox Sports park in Ladera Ranch. CanadaSports Park in Rancho Santa Margarita is a good place to start a Tijeras Creek ride.

At Whiting, I liked the Serrano/Live Oak loop with my kid. Start at Wahoo's, up Serrano and back on Live Oak, repeat as necessary. Gets you a taste of the fun bits without Mustard.

22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC

The Quail Loop the I'm familiar with include West Fork = not flat.
    Are you talking about the loop west of the parking lot? That one is a good beginner loop.

no worries likes this.
  23. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    On Sunday, I decided to check out Whiting again after about 10 years. I immediately remembered why I stopped riding there as well as peter's canyon, the hiking crowds are ridiculous. BUT, when I dropped into Sleepy Hollow, it made it all worth it. That trail is very nice. I only wish it was longer.

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The standard Borrego-Mustard climb is crazy... If you climb from the other side (Whiting Ranch Road), you will not see many hikers. I did it a few weeks ago, and saw one person on the climb.

no worries likes this.
  25. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Yes, the little 2 mile loop west of the Parking lot. The trails in Bommer Canyon required to get to West Fork are good for beginners as well. I agree, once you get to west fork, things start looking up very quick. Have mom and child do some laps around Nature Loop while you hit Turtle Ridge for a quick up and back while you are there.

no worries likes this.
  26. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    If you come up even farther up north, you have Sullivan Canyon (LA, Brentwood area), Dirt Mulholland (Valley), Charlie Canyon (Santa Clarita), Malibu Creek (Agoura Hills), Cheseboro (Calabasas). All have flat wide dirt to ride on.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?