Single Speed Boost Hubs and New Bike Build

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Erik H, Oct 28, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    Hey iMTB Single Speed heads! Looking for some advice.

I'm going to be building up a new SS rig in the near future. Using a Kingdom Vendetta frame with sliding drop outs. Boost spacing and I'm seeing few options out there for dedicated SS hubs. I have CK hubs on my current SS and it looks like CK is no longer making them. I know I could use anything with spacers but I don't really want to.

My current setup is a 2008? Karate Monkey running 32x22. I know its a climbing gear but the San Gabe's are steep and I'm also trying to be easy on my knees. I've considered going 30 up front and smaller in the back just to save weight and increase clearance but I've been happy with the 32x22.

One option is Onyx hubs. I hear they are near silent and that sounds rad for a SS ride. Quiet and really hear the tires in the dirt. But pricey. Onyx does have a dedicated SS Boost hub.

MTB-R-090991-BOO-CL-HGSS-148-12mm-thru-36-A-PP-NN-NN-NN-PP-NN.jpg

The other route looks to be a Paul Word rear hub with a White Industries cog/freewheel? I've never used anything like this setup and curious the advantages and disadvantages. Its definitely less expensive than the Onyx setup. The White freewheel looks like I could have the option of two cogs. Sorta neat but not sure I'd really use that.

DWboost_PO.jpg
    FREEWHEEL_ANGLE.jpg

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    As you have found, hub options for SS Boost are limited.

I9 makes a Boost SS Specific hub. Cost is gonna be similar to the Onyx. King would have been more expensive if they made a Boost SS hub.

Either one of those (I9/Onyx) would be my choice. Both have fast engagment.

I am a fan freehubs instead of freewheels, which would eliminate Paul/WI. I like the ability to adjust my chainline. SS cogs are also much cheaper than FW's and don't have to be serviced. You have more cog options than FW options.

Gearing is whatever you wanna run.

You can run a smaller ring, smaller cog.....but it tends to wear out the drivetrain a little quicker.

Personally, bigger rings and cogs last a bit longer with more chain wrap.

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches

This will let you play around with ring/cog combinations to see what works.

3. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    Right on. I greatly appreciate the feedback about the freewheels. I have no experience with them.

I had a feeling there was a plus to bigger gears somehow!

I inherited I9s on my full squish and can't stand how loud they are. Thus my interest in the Onyx hubs.

4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Aren't the freewheels heavier? A nice cog like the Niner Ti cog would be dreamy on that Onyx hub... :inlove:

I have an old Surly single speed hub that I used to run on the Highball. The freewheel was like butter, but it was heavy. It was nice, but it's nicer to be able to choose from a wide variety of cogs on the market and shave some weight...

My current wheels are DT350 and Hope Pro 4. I have the Shimano free hub on both, so I can swap wheels back and forth easily between bikes- like this past weekend when I ran the Hope in Wrightwood.

5. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    I want to start a GoFundMe page so I can get these cranks.. Hahahah..

cr001058-tie-dye.jpg

herzalot, Stkx66, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    my bike has the regular version of these on his Nomad. Pretty sweet cranks.3EDC677A-B7B6-4940-8BC4-EF4E4DCA8B84.jpeg

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I have a few White freewheels, including the DOS kind. They are extremely well built, and quiet (not silent). A great compliment to the Paul hub, with both made in Northern California which is knida' cool. On the DOS freewheel, I never bother to change to the other cog. For me, that's not such a big feature. YMMV on that, but it's just more of a hassle than it's worth. If you go the Paul/White route, I would recommend just a single cog freewheel.

14911037414_dfc28819b2_b.jpg

DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

That's not SS'ing. Sorry.

Erik H and Faust29 like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David