Signs that you bought ill-fitting padded shorts/bibs?

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by Varaxis, Nov 6, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I didn't really do in-depth investigating until today, wondering why some of my padded cycling shorts get buried at the bottom of my drawers, with the more comfortable ones being taken and stacked on top. I took one out and sat on my hands to feel where my sit bones were and felt the padding, and noticed my sit bones were right on the edge of the thick part, where it thinned to practically nothing on a set of Fox bibs. It seems the chamois was sewed on too low/rearward. I'm sure you guys can imagine this without pictures (if you do need a pic, click to see a raw "from the saddle" perspective, showing how the wide thick part is uselessly above and behind the saddle contact point)...

My sets of Rapha and Giordana shorts/bibs are at the top, but cost a pretty penny. Wish I could find more affordable sets that are as comfy. Anyone else notice this sort of problem with theirs?

Just FYI, I'm 5'7", wear size 30" waist, 140 lbs, and ride a bit more leaned forward. I suspect that some brands of smaller sizes come with narrower chamois too, since on at least one I got a chaffed bad by the stitching on one pad (the zig zag style, not the looper-thread/flatlock or dual-row stitch). The crappy shorts would need to be tailored to make them even acceptable, repositioning the pads, and using a softer thread/stitch. If I ever wear these again, I'll try to remember to tug on my shorts before I sit, to pull the chamois forward so my sit bones actually rest on the thicker part of the padding. Should be a warranty claim issue, but this one's been buried for too long.

~JB~, DangerDirtyD, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You sure you didn't buy women's shorts by accident? If the chamois doesn't line up properly....I have seen this happen more than once in a bike shop setting.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Nobody wants advice from me on shorts.
    Pearl Izumi Attacks size large. Never a problem in 20 years. As generic as it gets, but the most efficient and comfortable shorts on the planet with a great pad...
    image.jpeg

4. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    The one I just tried out was this one: http://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Evolution-Bib

Mikie, someone might believe you're wearing 20 year old shorts from that line, you know. :giggle:

Well, gonna take out these bibs for a 2.5-3 h night ride now that I've got them on, to test my pull chamois forward theory out, but I also gotta use the bathroom before I go and I'm all geared up... *sigh* bibs and it being dark at 5pm already.

5. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Seems that the "tug the chamois forward" test showed that the pads work fine for decent length rides, but leaves too much room up front, creating folds and the opportunity for male parts to get caught in them.

I found an article that explained how it can vary from short to short, even from the same mfg and model, due to how they're made by actual people that "eye" the placement, seemingly only bothering to line up the center seam.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ge...e-road-proper-chamois-placement-is-key-39013/

Pics of chamois worn inside-out for illustrative purposes:

1384534925492-l3yy91xk5wmh-700-80.jpg
    - Poor chamois positioning, can imagine how wide sit bones would not benefit from the thicker padded part of the chamois. If yours are like this, return them if possible.

1384534925481-ovxu5wcl705y-700-80.jpg
    - Better chamois positioning

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    This is what happens when your chamois doesn't fit right. It becomes fused to the sit bones.
    Don't let this happen to you....

100_0803.jpg

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Don't get your chamois in a wad!

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^Well....THIS... didn't take long :rolleyes:o_O^^^

I guess I have never had an issue with chamois NOT doing what they are supposed to. I have only found the "quality" of the chamois to be the real factor. As well, I can imagine based on price point the quality and location of the chamois in shorts. Kinda why I have always gone with Pearl Izumi...

Thanks varaxis! Good info!

9. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    I have 4 pairs of Jett Hornet shorts. I dread the day they are all worn out. Best shorts and liners ever!

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  10. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Damn it Danimal, now I'm gonna be seeing baboon ass whenever I see the rear side of someone wearing cycling shorts (at least if they have this problem).

Last thing I need are cysts on my arse, so I'm glad I didn't follow the "just ride" frame of mind in this case.

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I got a damn good laugh from that one Danimal, thanks!

Tom the Bomb, Danimal and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?