Sierra Peak via Blackstar

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Runs with Scissors, Feb 15, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Wimpy RR for a wimpy ride...

I haven't been keeping in touch with my buddies Sierra Peak and B*. So today I decided to get reacquainted.

As I started up Blackstar, I began to ask myself why in the world I couldn't get enough oxygen. About the time I hit Hidden Ranch it dawned on me. I don't do this (or more) nearly often enough. I will have to rectify that.

But to make up for it, I did get to take a couple of beautiful views today since it's so clear.

Looking at Coal Cyn.jpg

Sierra Peak vista.jpg

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Hello! :D
    My name is Doctah imtbtrails. :shock:
    As your physician... I prescribe that you participate in these types of activities no less than 3 times per week.
    I also suggest group therapy of this nature as well...
    In fact, I suggest taking another one of these today and PM me in the morning.

Some side affects may include nausia, dizziness, shortness of breath, and occaisionally vomiting! :eek:
    But rest assured, as your doctah I know what's good fo yah's.

Now get out and ride dahmeet! :idea:

~Doctah imtbtrails...

Ps. And Don't Run with Scissors!
    Your Welcome!

DBMX119 and Old&InTheWay like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Blackstar has become a favorite... Great views and scenery all the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old&InTheWay likes this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yup.....Blackstar is a gateway to CNF.

bvader and Old&InTheWay like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    If only we could access CNF, it would be great. I still can't figure how riding on Main Divide Road, or Maple Springs Road to get to Main Divide, will impede the regrowth of vegetation burned in the fire. And I'd bet a pretty penny that no one in the Forest Service can articulate it in a believable manner either.

If the fear is that someone will go off-road/trail, then drop the hammer on that individual.

No, wait, let's go the collective guilt route and ban everyone. "Anything not compulsory is forbidden!"

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    It's simple.....if they let people near the Motorway.....they will ride/hike the Motorway.

If they let people up Maple Springs.....they will ride/hike up Motorway.

Best just to keep everyone out til it has time to heal.

I'd like to ride out there just as much as everyone else....but I understand and will respect the closure. I would hate for the FS to close the Motorway permanently because people ignore the closure.....we will then only have ourselves to blame.

7. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    So I'm still confused. Motorway is an established trail. Nothing grows on the trail, which is why we can all follow it. So again, I'm not exactly sure how riding/hiking an established trail is going to impede regrowth of vegetation in areas off the trail. And again, I'm sure the Forest Service hasn't been able to articulate a sane and logical reason. Although I will honor the closure, I don't have to think it's sane.

Or maybe I'm just more burned up (pun intended) about being barred from a national forest. Land I'm paying to keep up.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yes.....it is an established trail...however with little to no vegetation on either side of the trail, people will begin to go OFF TRAIL, cut new trails, drive Jeeps/Motos in areas they should not be. Think: Santiago Truck Trail....Jeeps/Motos are jot allowed up there, yet they come up Cadilac.

You may or may not go off trail...I may or may not go off trail....so it is just easier to close it temporarily until the vegetation begins to grow back. Then people will be less likely to go off trail.

Look at any trail in any of the OC Parks, and you will see switchbacks that are cut, shortcuts creates through areas that there are no trails.

It is not that difficult to understand....

Like I said, it sucks....but it is temporary. It is not the 1st time a section of land was closed after a fire. Remember, Harding was closed for a year after the Santiago Fire in 2007.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  9. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Perhaps I'm too simple to understand. If someone would disregard a closure of Motorway, why would they not disregard a closure of Maple Springs, as well? And the threat of closing a trail forever because a rider flouts a temporary closure is both childish and punitive. I'm skeptical that this is the actual position of the forest service. It just seems too ludicrous to be believable.

10. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Good on ya, mate. There's no shame in Blackstar-Sierra. It's a fun ride. And there's no shame in getting tired. The only rider who doesn't get tired is the one who dogs it and rides slower than he's capable of. I can get fatigued on the Fullerton Loop if I choose to.

Runs with Scissors and mike like this.
  11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    And the Motorway was closed more recently that that.

And then before they re-opened it, they got some no-experience knuckleheads to do trail work on it, and the trail work was more damaging than the fire! :)

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

#holdingagrudge

:laugh:

mike, bvader, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    LOL... some of the most technically frightening riding I've done in years was to try to navigate their trail "work" :)

mike, mtnbikej, bvader and 1 other person like this.
  14. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Gateway... As in drug... Well except opposite you get pain instead of relieving it....

mike, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  15. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    First of all, during the Silverado Fire Closure, there were so many people violating the boundary line that you would have thought it wasn't even closed !

That being said, I think I was the last person to ride on Maple Springs before it was officially closed. I got there on the third day of the fire at 5:30 AM. The gate was wide open and no signage. Encountered only 2 other people, workers on some kind of crew. Asked them if it was ok to keep riding. They said " Sure, go ahead," so I did. It was the mop up phase, with helicopters dropping water on smoldering hot spots. Went up to 4 Corners. Got a good view of torched Motorway. When I returned to the bottom, there were about 25 vehicles, Fire Trucks, CHP, Sheriff, County and Forrest Service. Half of the people waved at me, smiled and asked how the ride was. The other half looked at me with total disbelief. Nobody stopped me, but there were now 2 large closure signs up.

I am sure that I was the first person to ride down Motorway on the day it was reopened. Again I got to Maple Springs at sunrise. Went up M.S. to Main Divide and took it to the Motorway Trailhead. On arrival, it was a bit of a conundrum because a strict no entry sign was still in place. After about 3 minutes of weighting the situation, a Forrest Service truck arrived and the sign was removed. The ride down was rough indeed. The berms were vertical walls, 1 to 3 feet high and there was still washouts and slides. Nonetheless, all the way down was pure joy because once again I was riding Motorway. :)

16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Not quite as cool as @Old&InTheWay 's story... :thumbsup:

We probably weren't the last ones up there, but this was the view from Santiago Peak on Aug 5, 2018.

Shortly after sunrise:
    IMG_0073.jpeg

And the view of Santiago Peak on August 6, 2018:
    IMG_0084.jpeg

FizzyCola, mike, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    This is one of the best examples of thread resurrection yet....and not because it's mine. :p:p:laugh:

mike likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?