Shock Pumps

Discussion in 'Pumps' started by knucklebuster, Feb 9, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    The threads on my ancient cheapo Fox shock pump wore out, so need a replacement and looking for recommendations. Are they all pretty much the same, or are there certain features to look for that makes some better than others? Did a little online research but can't really seem to tell much without actually using them. Thx in advance.

Mikie and mike like this.
  2. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
  3. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    I prefer the pumps with the 2 stage valves. They seem to be way more accurate. I've had a lot of problems with the single stage valves bleeding off too much air when I go to unscrew them. Plus, when I did start having troubles with the 2 stage pump, I spent $2. at Osh on O-rings and rebuilt it myself.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Rav-X-Shock-X-Shock-Pump

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  5. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Cane creek zero loss pump was the best i have ever owned. Its soo good that my kids decided that its was better used as a ray gun and then lost it. But seriously, the ability to disengage the valve before disconnecting the pump was awesome. The hose is also high strength and braided and protected it from being pinched.

Mikie and knucklebuster like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Only thing I have noticed that is important is a system that provides accurate psi measurement, and allows you to remove the pump after pumping up the fork that does not leak off the pressure in the fork.

knucklebuster likes this.
  7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have the Leyzne digital shock floor pump. I love it, and does not lose air when you take off the valve.

Varaxis, knucklebuster and Mikie like this.
  8. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Topeak DXG, no complaints...

Varaxis, knucklebuster and Danmtchl like this.
  9. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I have a few of the generic Fox/Rockshox pumps. They all pump air...but all the gauges read different so I have no idea which one is accurate. :poop:

I just go by sag.:Roflmao

10. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Thanks everyone. I thought all shock pump chucks had the design where the shrader valve was released/closed before completely unscrewing it, therefore there is no loss of air from the shock/fork. The pssst when unscrewing is from the compressed air in the pump hose releasing, not air from the shock/fork since the valve is already closed. That's the way my old one worked, hope that hasn't changed. But I guess a 2 stage or manual close off valve like some pointed out would make sure that was happening...

Thx Eric for the bikeradar article link, that helped understand some things to look for.

Danmtchl, that Leyzne looks great, but I just can't spend that much for a pump, too many bike parts to buy

The gauge accuracy... I've always set by sag or travel use, too, so it just has to be repeatable (that article called it precision, not necessarily accurate tho).... so I know what psi to pump it to next time using the same pump.

Anyone have experience with the Spindoctor (performance house brand) digital? Nice price and would be easy for my old eyes to see...

I think I've spent way too much time contemplating a shock pump, will pick one out tomorrow, after a ride I hope o_O
    Thx again

doublewide, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I haven't used it much in the last year or so, but I have the plain old vanilla Performance brand. It supposedly doesn't release air when disconnecting, and it's been reliable.

12. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Danmtchl likes this.
  13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have this pump and it is the best shock pump ever. I already mentioned it.

Varaxis likes this.
  14. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I had a manitou pump that gave away with my stumpy to the kid that got it from me as a gift, then got a fox pump.. but both are exactly the same, they even had the same quality control number/item number on the back of the gauge.... The guys at jensons told me they are generic the factory just changes the brand... Both works fine...they are under $30.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @knucklebuster I have a spare you can have. Either a Marzocchi or X-Fusion. The Marzocchi is nice 'cause it has a long chuck, that makes it much easier to put on and take off. Air bleed is minimal and predictable. Can't vouch for gauge accuracy, but it's all relative, once you have it where you want it.

16. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Wow, thanks for the offer, but now I already got one :bang:

herzalot likes this.
  17. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Faust29 and Varaxis like this.
  18. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Cool. How low does it go? Need a low PSI tire gauge that is accurate.

19. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    All the way to zero :sneaky: Well, pumping up an un-aired shock it starts at zero and goes up with every pump (in one half PSI increments to 100, then one PSI increments higher than that) but not sure of the accuracy at really low pressure, maybe as good as an analog? It is a schrader valve only, suppose you could use it with a presta adaptor...

scottay likes this.
  20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So you can use a shock pump on both tires and shocks, but a basic floor pump only on tires??? Thank (insert favored deity) I have suspension only on my forks.

UPSed likes this.
  21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I guess you could use a shock pump to air up high volume tires. It might take you 2,547,489 pumps though. @scottay they make low pressure gauges for ATVs. Also motos. You want something with a 0-15/30 range for accuracy.

Runs with Scissors and scottay like this.
  22. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    http://www.topeak.com/products/pumps/shocknroll

I bought this pump and its handy to keep around in your car or on the trail for emergencies, but I wouldn't buy it to use daily. Its sturdy , but it takes an ungodly amount of pumps to air up. Plus the switch between tire and shock can get loose and then vents pressure into the atmo.

23. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    UPSed likes this.