Shock length question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricekrispyota, Nov 12, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    Anybody have any information about what would happen if I used a shorter shock than stock on my bike? The stock shock is 216x63, but it’s in the process of being rebuilt. I have a 200x57 shock sitting in my garage and was wondering if it would do damage to the bike if I used it to get through until my stock shock comes back. I know it will lower the bottom bracket and slacken out the head angle a bit. Not too worried about that, just don’t want to damage the bike.

2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Compress it all the way when installed, make sure it does not rub the seat tube.

Danmtchl, herzalot, Torrent77 and 2 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    If the tire doesn't hit the seat tube and you plan to use the shorter shock, know that your geometry will be off and the leverage curve of the suspension will be a confused mess, probably softer in the initial with a quicker ramp-up. Just guessing of course, not knowing what kind of bike you have and the intended leverage curve.

Just put more air in it and pretend it's a new bike!

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Get a piece of aluminum bar stock to prop it up and make it a hardtail. :thumbsup:

Grego, rossage, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  5. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg

2017 Niner Rip9RDO
    Stock-RockShox Monarch RCT3
    Not Stock-Can Creek DBAir

I’ve been running offset bushings in it for a while to slacken the head angle, so we will see if there’s a difference in feel with regard to that.

6. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Hmmm...

So if your stock shock compresses 63mm and gives 150mm suspension travel then that's a 2.38:1 ratio. The stock shock will compress to 153mm while the temporary replacement will compress to 143mm, a difference of 10mm. 10 x 2.38 equals a 23.8mm further compression than stock in the suspension. But this is only an estimate because there is a curve in the ratio, linear at the beginning and more progressive towards the end but helps give an idea, I think.:confused:
    What others said above,:thumbsup: check for tire clearance but also check to make sure the suspension can move that extra inch without binding or hitting something as well.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?