Shimano XT 785 Brake System with Ice Tech Rotor

Discussion in 'Brake Systems' started by Mikie, Nov 1, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Shimano XT 785 Ice Tech Braking System
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Description
    This pre-bled brake system is ready to install with Shimano XT M785 Servo Wave levers, hydraulic lines, and M785 disc calipers. The XT M785 disc brake levers offer improved ergonomics, quicker engagement, and 20% more stopping power. Separate reach adjustment and free stroke adjustment allow you to customize levers for hand size and comfort. The XT M785 disc brake calipers get upgraded with Shimano's Ice technology, featuring radiator backed metal pads and oversized 22mm ceramic pistons. Sold as front or rear.

Features

• Easy to tune ergonomics
    • Ice Technolgy Radiator pads
    • Pre-bled and ready to install

erjzacher and herzalot like this.
  2. verdugist

verdugist Guest

ShimanoXT SM-RT86 Ice-Tec 6 Bolt Rotor
    ShimanoXT M785 Disc Brake

Excellent modulation compared to Avid Elixir 1 (stock on DB OD Comp). No noise so far. Better stopping power. Not sure if pads are organic or metallic.

Killed my Strava DH times in my local trail by almost 50%!

Luis, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  3. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Amusing how stronger brakes make you faster. ;)

Don't get caught up in the "modulation" thing, as it's more your finger than the lever's leverage that handles that. Avid's draggy seals and noodly hose also can create more mush, which can create feedback that feels like modulation. The stronger your muscles are, the more clumsy they are with delicate/precision work.

With Shimano, it could be a resin pad rather than organic (usually printed on the pad itself).

Mikie likes this.
  4. verdugist

verdugist Guest

There is still no noise after a few more rides. :)

I haven't looked closely on how to remove/replace the pads. With Avid Elixir it was very easy.

Mikie likes this.
  5. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    the only time my XT's have made noise are if they get wet, or they're worn:eek:

verdugist and Mikie like this.
  6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    IMHO,
    Shimano's XT 785 Ice Tech Brakes are head and above the best of others on the current market today. I see more Ice Tech brakes on the trail, than any others combined. I have tried both the metallic and resin pads and much prefer the resin pads for both the modulation, quietness, and reduced wear on the Ice Tech Rotors. My latest bike came with all Ice Tech less the rotors (why? I have no idea other than price point). On the solid stainless rotors I had issues with brake howl, but ever since moving to Ice Tech Rotors, the noise has gone away. I use 180mm Rotors front and rear for simplicity.

From the top of the trail to bottom, it's one finger braking with zero fade for me. Riding through all the years of brake development, from rim brakes, to hydraulic rim brakes, to "V" Brakes, to now hydraulic disc, Shimano has always been in the forefront of high end R&D brake development. I don't think you could find a more reliable Mountain Bike Brake System then Shimano XT Ice Techs.

herzalot, verdugist and Danimal like this.
  7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I'll agree with this. I have the XTR brakes, and Ice tech rotors. When first bought them, decided not to get the Ice tech rotors, and the howl!
    Put on the IT rotors and shazam! noise went away.
    Also agree with the resin, first used resin, then went to Metallic, and I prefer the resin for sure. Switched one back when it needed replacing, and the other will become resin when it wears too.
    I also think the XT's are as good as the XTR's by comparison with my amigos and mine. No reason to spend the extra money like I did.

Mikie's opinion for the win!

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Even better are the newer M8000 XT's. :thumbsup:

Mikie and verdugist like this.
  9. verdugist

verdugist Guest

The brake/rotor combo is still making extremely minimal noises compared to the Avid Elixirs. I have not used any rubbing alcohol or sandpaper and have not swapped out pads yet.

Mikie likes this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I bought XTR trails when the new design was first introduced (2011?) and couldn't be happier. Strong, quiet, easy to modulate. Great lever feel and adjustability. Easy to service (changing pads is a breeze, and I am told bleeding them is easy too - although I have my mechanic do that.).

They are much stronger, quieter and more consistent than the Avid XO Trail 4-piston calipers on my DH rig. Much better lever feel as well.

At first I used them with Magura Storm rotors for the light weight. They worked fine, and had no noise, but the Ice Tech rotors are much better. I don't know if I am using metallic or resin - whatever they came with. I think metallic. I replace them with what came on them since I don't want to mess with something that works so well.

I have spent 6 days on three different bikes equipped with the SRAM Guide brakes that all the reviewers were raving about. They were OK, but I preferred the strength and feel of the Shimanos much better.

11. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    While not perfect, my 785's are my favorite brakes I have owned so far. Maybe some 203 mm rotors will make them all they can be. . . .

12. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    @Mikie now that I have them on my new bike I have to agree with you. They're awesome! No fade at all

Mikie likes this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I will NEVER steer anyone wrong, ha hah! Glad you dig'em!