Shimano Pd-Mx80 Platform Pedals

Discussion in 'Flats' started by verdugist, Nov 4, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I installed a pair of Shimano Pd-Mx80 Platform Pedals on my Diamondback OD Comp last nite and took it for a test ride this morning on Whiting Woods in Verdugo trail system. The surface area is much larger than the stock Wellgo pedals (see pics below). I installed 4 additional pins per pedal for additional grip.

Here is a useful video:

Note that the pedal is concave so the comments the guy above has may not be accurate in terms of removing the washers.

The pedals felt much better with my FiveTen Contact shoes, easier to ride as surface area is larger and slightly more comfortable and easier to pedal with. They don't spin around as fast as the wellgo's.

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

Cyclotourist, Luis, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  2. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    The Saint pedal is a very good pedal. I have a set for "family" rides.

Faust29, Mikie and verdugist like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Good Call. Great pedal with a clean look...

Faust29 likes this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Those Wellgos are trash. They were designed to be ridden with toe clips (as in the 1980s). Good call going to a simple, modern "flat" such as the Saint.

Prepare to have your calves (calfs?) bitten though - and maybe your shins. Consider the scars to be the badge of honor of a dedicated "flats" rider.

PS - On behalf of the entire MtB community, please remove your wheel reflectors. Thank you.

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My son's 26er in the garage has a set of those, and when I ride it a few times per year, they work well... It's actually a nice change to jump on the bike with flats occasionally. Good choice! :thumbsup:

I also have a pair of Wellgos in the garage that are similar to what you had, but they have a Shimano mount on one side. Herz is right- they are relics from another era. Anyone who rode in the 80s knows what the slots on the end are for... And it wasn't pretty.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  6. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    We used to use a pedal like that Wellgo for BMX. We'd take a file and sharpen the teeth into razor sharp points.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Spank spike flats are awesome.

Mikie likes this.
  8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I have been using the Saints for about a year now. Very good pedal. Heavy, but they hold up to pedal strikes very well.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?