Seeking a Reciever Hitch Tray Style 2 Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Mikie, Feb 20, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Got a new (different) car and will never ever own a roof rack again. Did I say never, YES, never!
    Looking for a used 1-1/4" Reciever Hitch Tray style MTB Rack that will carry 2 bikes.

Not hard pressed to buy one, just looking to see what is out there. I have been looking at 1Up and Kuat online. I'm a broke Forum Owner so go easy on me! Ha hah!
    Mikie

2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Mikie,

We have a 1-1/4 Kuat NV two bike rack in the shop. Someone ordered it and has been sitting there for awhile. Call Richy and he can hook you up. 661-325-2453

rojomas, UPSed and Mikie like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Mikie and UPSed like this.
  4. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I have the Kuat Sherpa. I like that it's lighter and I can just pull it off the car and stick it in the corner of the garage. I just wish I'd waited until they came out with the black model.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    They are on the OC Craigslist all the time... I need to pick up a new one, as well.

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Recently picked up a Thule T2, pretty happy with it. Bikes haven't fallen off yet. I see used ones for <$200 pretty regularly.

7. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Thule T2 inspired me to go hitch, but that thing is a heavy monster. I went 1UP and it's so light that I don't even bother taking it off. My car's wheelbase is short enough that I can get away with it in parking lots without folding it up.

Here's my set up that got 3 adults and 3 bikes to Mammoth:

100_0656.jpg
    600Mammoth.jpg

Looked at the Kuat thinking a bike stand built in would be cool, but never once regretted getting the 1UP. I stopped looking at the rearview to check on the bikes a long while ago.

8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's funny, the T2 is absolutely featherweight compared to the Thule 4 bike dangle rack I had previously! :)

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  9. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    All about perspectives. 1up's weight advantage over a T2 matters if you're in a compact car with a 1.5 or 1.8L engine, in which even the weight of another passenger noticeably affects the performance (ex. driving up a mtn).

Edit: 1up is 23 lbs + 18 lbs per add-on. Thule T2 is 57 lbs and a Kuat NV2 is 50 lbs. Have to be fair and list the weight with add-on. Didn't think the 1up was that heavy.

10. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Wow, more than twice the weight, yikes! But yeah, it's on a 6cyl van, so don't really notice the extra weight.

11. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    I bought a pair of 1UPs to mount on the front of my travel trailer. Works well. I really like their design and it's super secure.

Unfortunately, there are no "cheap" hitch/tray setups... they all seem to be in that $400 to $500 range.

My brother has a Kuat 2 bike rig... I used it when we went to Texas in December... about 2500 miles. Worked fine, but I don't think it is as secure as the 1UP design. It does have the built in "thievery discouragement" system... so there is that.

I'm with @Mikie on the "bye bye roof rack" wagon though. I'm doing the bed of the truck thing, totally custom, fork mount deal... but I'm to the point where I'm ready to go full hitch also. Pros and Cons on all sides.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    While I have a Thule T2 and have had it for a very long time....it is a nice rack. The 2" receiver is stable and strong....holds great in 2 or 4 bike configuration.

It is heavy in 2 bike.....its is just a beast in 4 bike. I remove the 2 bike add on before attempting to remove it from my truck.

We had a 1 1/4" T2 on my wife's Golf Wagon.....and honestly I think was just too heavy for it. With every snugged down correctly...hitch included, it still rocked pretty good with 2 light bikes on it.

If I had to do it all over again for a car with 1 1/4" receiver, I'd go with one of the lighter options from 1Up. When it is all said and done, cost is not much more than the T2.

13. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I strongly recommend the One Up USA rack. Best I've seen or used.

Mikie likes this.
  14. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    +1 on the 1up. I've had mine for a while with absolutely no issues. I keep the single on my car all the time. It's compact enough that it doesn't interfere with opening up the rear hatch on the Grand Cherokee when folded up. I add the add-on rack whenever I need to haul 2 or more bikes. Just need to make sure you check and tighten the friction fit bolt every once in a while as it will loosen over time.

Mikie likes this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay, so I went to the 1Up Website and it looks like you have to buy a single bike rack and then add the quick rack add on. Is that true?

@Danmtchl ,
    I guess Cathy called your shop regarding the Kuat, but then we found out Kuat does not have an adapter to adapt it up to a 2" Reciever? Is that true as well? That's what it said on Kuat's website.. Who would buy a rack that is limited to a 1.25" receiver?

16. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Preface: I did not read the entire thread, jut the title and Mikie's last post.

I've had a Yakima two bike tray style hitch rack and now have the single 1UpUSA with two add'l add-on trays.

So last I checked you can buy either a single or double rack that attaches via the hitch rack. 1upUSA makes a 1 1/4" single and double rack that has a conversion kit to adapt up to a full 2" hitch. Also, they now make a two bike rack that is made specifically for a 2" hitch. Since I bought my setup a few years back, they now have a simple way to deter thieves from stealing your bikes while on the rack and to secure the rack to your trailer hitch.

My last bit, I thoroughly enjoy my 1upUSA rack set up. but I wish mine had the new lock system (mainly to secure the rack to my car/hitch). Good luck Mikie.

Mikie likes this.
  17. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I bought the single rack due to available funds and will add the 2nd rack later. I think you can buy 2, I'm sure they want to sell it to you

Mikie likes this.
  18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay, you guys have been awesome! (naturally)
    Last question, are there no dealerships that carry 1Up or do I have to buy it online. I would like to get one like RIGHT NOW Dahmeet!:eek:
    I don't want to wait for @UPSed to drop it off at my door.

Daylight starts burning after Sunday and I need some serious in-week ride action!:mad:

UPSed likes this.
  19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Don't quote me on this but I think you have to buy direct.

Mikie likes this.
  20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7

Mikie likes this.
  21. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Like @UPSed mentioned, I too think that 1UpUSA is direct sales only. Mikie, if you were closer to West LA/SM I would tell you to come borrow mine until yours gets delivered as I won't be riding this week. o_O:bang: (Life getting in the way of my riding again).

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  22. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    How did you mount these to the front of your trailer?

23. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    I realize that many really like the 1UP rack and I'm sure it's a great rack but I can't get over how it looks like it was built out of an Erector Set.
    Seriously, look on Craig's List.

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I totally agree! They do look "home built"..
    But I trust the brothahood so I ordered one yesterday.

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Looking at their website, I see the super duty model for bikes up to 75 pounds... e-bikes? What else would be that heavy?

Mikie likes this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Is that "Bikes" plural? I know @hill^billy 's bike weighs about that much :p, but....

Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  27. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I have had the single tray on my car for 3 years now. It's the best rack out there.

Mikie likes this.
  28. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    The trailer has a "basket" on the front...

IMG_0867.JPG

I fabricated some plates out of 5/8" plywood and used the included mounting bolts to cinch the racks down to the basket floor. You can see one right behind the front wheel of the fuji. This setup works nice, keeps the bikes out of the airstream and folds nice and flat if we want to travel without the bikes and use the basket for other cargo.

29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    1 or 2?

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?