Sedona

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Geetarguy, May 29, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Headed to Sedona, Arizona in a few weeks. Staying at Sedona Summit Resort. I'm taking my new Fuel and renting Fuels for my wife and 15-year-old daughter (they are total beginners). Any trail recommendations? I want them to have a good experience so that they want to do it again...

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I don't ride the beginner trails when I'm there but I'd start at the Bell Rock TH area and ride the Bell Rock Path trail. It goes North for 3.5 miles up to the Little Horse TH. Ride as far as they want and then head back. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4915849/bell-rock-trail If they still want to ride or want something a lil' more challenging, do the Intro to Sedona ride from the same lot https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4924523/intro-to-sedona The next step up would probably be the stuff out of the Aerie TH on the West side of town https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/981076/aerie-loop If they are okay climbing a bit after getting some DH flow, this route is probably the most FUN in my opinion https://www.trailforks.com/route/easy-girdner-loop

Just remember that Sedona's blue trails don't necessarily equal blue trails from another area. Sedona is full of chunk as well as continuous smaller step downs and step ups. A perfect example of that is Chuckwagon. It's rated as a blue trail but tougher than 90% of blue trail laden Prescott. While some trails may seem perfectly fine going for a while, they could lead to some tougher sections or trails. I get stopped almost every ride on Chuckwagon by people who seemingly look like very competent riders and they want to know where the end is or "where are the flow trails"?

I know you're from the desert so you're probably fine in the heat but....Sedona gets hot and there's not much shade. There's a reason it will be less crowded. If the heat does become an issue, take a day trip down to Prescott and ride the Spence Basin area. If anybody can't have fun there, you might as well sell your bikes and take up bowling. I took my daughter here last week

(sorry for the video quality but its the best I could find)

Mikie, bvader, Geetarguy and 3 others like this.
  3. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    Up Long Canyon to Mezcal to Canyon of fools is nice somewhat mellow loop. Throw in Snake to Chuckwagon for nice 15 mile loop. However, my number one recommendation for Sedona is Berry Devine for an acai bowl, unreal good after a ride.

Mikie and Geetarguy like this.
  4. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    Prescott is super fun. We rode the Thumb Butte trails last week and had a blast.

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, I'm loving it so far....I'll be out that way tomorrow morning.

6. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
    Adobe Jack, Grand Central, and Javelina next to Whole Foods probably have the longest flow and continuous trails. Not super hard. I take my 3 and 5 year old down those on my bike. They can be shuttled too. Like mtbMike said, Bell Rock area is the easiest and flattest. Most of the other stuff have a lot of short punchy, technical up and downs that can burn beginners out.

Mikie, Geetarguy and Danimal like this.
  7. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Agree with starting in the Bell Rock area. This will give you a good feel for the beauty of Sedona and the riding conditions. A ride with 1100ft of ascent will surprise even the most hearty So Cal riders. Enjoy!

8. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Thanks for all the info! Definitely going to start with Bell Rock area...heading out in a few days! I'll post pics :)

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  9. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Had a blast in Sedona....my daughter loved it! Got out just before the fires....hope they get put out fast! We did Bell Rock Pathway....really fun trail! Have to recommend Thunder Mountain Bikes for rentals....thanks for all the suggestions!

20210617_090720.jpg

SnakeCharmer, Obsidian, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Welcome to the forum. And I'm glad you toned down the wording from the post you made a month ago elsewhere... :Roflmao

For the record, I thought it was a decent video... Love the scenery. Although I did turn the sound off when the music started. And I see your goal is to "document" all of the local trails out there. That's a pretty cool endeavor... :thumbsup:

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for making and posting the vid. I didn't watch it, but it's cool that people take the time to do that.

I'm questioning why you chose to introduce yourself to this passionate group of riders the way you have. Nobody here gives a F how local you are or where – we live and ride all over the country and nobody here is chest beating about being a local somewhere. I'm sure I enjoyed Granite Mountain long before you got there. That matters about as much as you riding Preskit before mtbMike got there.

Try a reset and join in. Or don't.

mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good luck making friends here, son. You're going to need it.

mtnbikej, herzalot, Walleye and 2 others like this.
  13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Yep, still only been here for "months" as in 8. I probably don't know my way around 10% of the trails that you do here in Prescott and for that matter, will never know the area like ANY local due to my late arrival. I have no plan to stay two decades. That being said, I've been riding 33 years and get around a bit, usually in another state almost every month.
    As far as your video, it was not meant to be personal but I prefer the style of videos like Follow Cam Friday, BKXC, Skills with Phil and Trail Peek.

14. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    As a slightly bemused bystander I'd just like to point out your embedded "video quality" is most definitely not 4k.
    Screenshot 2021-07-26 205142.png
    Now granted everything at the moment points towards me needing some glasses in my very near future but even I can tell one ain't like the other. Obviously your poor choice in font selection ain't helping but it illustrates the differences nicely

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I appreciate the vids as it helps me choose what to ride in areas I'm not familiar with. Thanks!

Obsidian and gomtb prescottaz like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Huh. Somehow I missed this gracious self-introduction to our Forum. Defensiveness, anger, boasting and a personal put down all in 6 brief sentences. Well done! :bang: :facepalm:

Pardon the sarcasm, but we actually prefer friendliness on IMTB. You're welcome to give that a try! :thumbsup:

mtnbikej, ~JB~ and Faust29 like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Be honest... You were torqued that someone didn't like your videos- double points that it was a Californian. That was apparent by the Johnny Come Lately comment you made on your YouTube page, where you indicated as much. The fact that it got zero responses in a month probably torqued you more.

Trying to frame it now as a "simple clarification" is laughable. In clinical terms, we'd call that passive aggressive.

I was overly polite in my initial response. That won't continue for long.

mtnbikej, ~JB~, mike and 1 other person like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The video quality was excellent (in the higher res setting). It's a matter of choosing the video resolution setting before you watch it in order to see it at it's best. Some folks don't know or realize this. Good stuff.

herzalot likes this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Tell me about me Faustie!

SnakeCharmer and herzalot like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What does that have to do with the fact that your introductory comment was unfriendly, defensive and derisive?

"What "video quality" are you sorry for? Resolution? I recorded/edited in 4K. " = Defensive

"Surely it can't be the riding." = Braggy and defensive

"How would you know anyway? I was told you had been here in Prescott for only months when you posted this in May." = Derisive, unfriendly and irrelevant. The original comment from @mtbMike was about video quality, not location.

"I've been a Prescott local and riding the trails here for well over two decades." = Self Congratulatory implying the concluding comment "and that's why I'm right and you're wrong."

So please tell me what my living in CA has to do with my commentary about your unfriendly introduction to this forum? I didn't comment about your riding, your video or anything to do with Prescott.

Again - we would love to see you contribute here in a friendly way.

mtnbikej, ~JB~, mtbMike and 1 other person like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    All I did…

:laugh::thumbsup::D

herzalot likes this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Maybe he was trying to rally the California bashers here. There are several. It’s worth a try. I don’t know the trigger(s) of the disagreement, but having support to any extent helps I suppose.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Manic?

In all the best ways of course!!! :inlove:

24. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Love it or leave it.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Y'know, we actually have no problem with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Snark with those who don't know you is usually misconstrued. Just the way it is.

I don't really care what you clean, or where you ride, or what you ride, unless it gives me ideas for things to ride. I'm not in competition with you (most of the folks here aren't either - just isn't that important). We are interested in your experiences, what you've discovered as to trails, etc.

Leave the ego elsewhere. It's just not interesting.

mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You make it sound like we're a bunch of old..... oh wait. ;)

Danimal, mtnbikej, scottay and 5 others like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Parting shot, excellent. This thread can get back to being productive now.

Old…fukks who can smell attitude at sixty paces and don’t have the time left to put up with that shyt. FTFY. :D

28. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow, you are the biggest ####### Ive ever seen online. Time for you to go bye bye. Be miserable somewhere else. Good riddence.

mtnbikej likes this.
  29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I really wanted to give him a chance, even though it was clear he wasn’t here for anything constructive. :thumbsdown:

Oh well…