Searching for Proflex Girvin fork

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Piotr Machowski, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Piotr Machowski

Piotr Machowski Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    Hello,

Subject says it all: I am looking for a Girvin fork to rebuild my old Proflex 957 size L/XL manufactured in 1997 (http://www.bikepro.com/directions/a97_proflex/957.html). I have bought this bike some 10 years ago and the previous user replaced original fork with some cheap trash. I love this bike and I had this thought in my mind for some time to rebuild original setup and perhaps it is the last moment to do it.

The best option would be to find original carbon version, called "Girvin Cross-Link Pro Carbon, 3" travel, Easton Carbon Fiber leg" (http://img0101o.psstatic.com/159498271_cool-girvin-crosslink-pro-carbon-suspension-fork-forks-.jpg) but actually any compatible Girvin will make me happy.

I have checked ebay and alike for offers, but without success. So perhaps someone of you have spare Girvin and would consider giving it a chance to ride again?

I have found some documentation about those forks but it doesn't help at this point (attached anyway).

Any hints are welcome (and yes, I am looking in your direction Mikie ;-)

Brgds,
    Piotr

Attached Files:

Cyclotourist, Oaken, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Hey Piotr - the owner of this site @Mikie used to race for Proflex!

My Brother in Law has an original Girvin fork on his Proflex, but he had to replace the elastomers bumpers with a coil spring. He won't part out the bike, but might sell the whole thing.

3. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    @Piotr Machowski ,
    Yes. I have all things Proflex and then some. However, I do not have a carbon fork. I have 855, 856, and 857 forks. I have the silver finish and I have a Grey/Brown dark finish.
    I also have Air Shocks for them as the elastomers turned to stone. Even some shocks still in the box. I have the thrust washers bolts and tons of Sun Rims as well. Frames... should I go on? ha ha!

PM me or just let me know here specifically what you are looking for. I'll post pics up of what I got and see if it fits your needs. Sell it to you at a very reasonable price to get you going back to Proflex bliss!

Note: Are you actually in Poland?

:)Mikie

Cyclotourist, Oaken, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  5. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    Hey guys, thanks for prompt reply. It looks like I finally reached right place and people :)

Any compatible Girvin will be a perfect fit to my Proflex.

The only trouble is that I don't know how to check this compatibility. Yet. Obviously I can take all measurements from the Proflex frame. I guess that the most important will be the length of the steer. Again: any hint will be more then welcome.

I do live in Poland, Central Europe, and this makes the window for mistakes sort of narrow ;-). But I plan to simplify the transport – my friends are traveling to US frequently. They usually stop in California (LA), can receive domestic UPS and take the fork in their luggage.

Brgds, Piotr

6. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    Thanks! I still have to learn how to fit different versions of Girvin to my 957 frame.

Brgds, Piotr

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  7. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Verdugist...is that you ? :sneaky:

bigringrider101, Oaken, mike and 9 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Verdugist is alive and well! I see his name on Strava all the time riding with our esteemed forum regulars. I miss the energy he brought to this place.

Sorry for the derail, Piotr. I have nothing to aid in your quest... Good luck, though.

Cyclotourist, mike, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    That would take more decisiveness and mental acuity than he ever showed.:whistling:

mike, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  10. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    :)

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I think it only comes down to steer tube length if I remember correctly. Let me know what you need. :)
    Mikie

Piotr Machowski and Danmtchl like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    IMTB goes Global!

de Klerk from RSA, and now Piotr from Poland! :thumbsup: :cool:

13. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    There comes a time
    When we heed a certain call
    When the world must come together as one
    There are people dying (to ride their Proflex)
    And it's time to lend a hand to life
    The greatest gift of all

We are the world
    We are the children
    We are the ones who make a brighter day
    So let's start giving
    There is a choice we're making
    Were saving our own lives
    It's true we'll make a better day, just you and me

---------------------

Piotr, if Proflex is your bike of choice, you have landed in the right place for knowledge, and apparently spare parts too.

Good job Mikie!

14. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    WOW! What a welcome! Something to remember. I can't count all forums where I have registered but I am sure that's the first one, where I see a poem to greet a newbie. You guys are really extraordinary.

I used to write haiku on occasions, but they were in Polish. I had this temptation to answer you with haiku, but I would need to polish my English for that ;-)

I don't understand why I like my Proflex so much. I could replace it with a new bike many times. Didn't have any doubts. Perhaps as I get older I do value old things? :-D

15. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    Sorry for not answering earlier - my youngest daughter (age: 5) got sick and that sort of changed priorities on this side of the planet. It's all under control now, no more worries.

I am attaching two photos of the current setup. First, you might ask which version is this frame, with those strange alu plates in front part of the frame. Well, it IS an 957 but it started to break at the connection between steer and the frame. So I have asked local expert to weld extra reinforcement to keep the frame in one piece. It works well since that time. ;-)

Apart from this "extension" it is normal size L/XL 957 frame. I have measured the length of the steer: it is 120 mm (4,73") measured on the alu steer and 147 mm (5,79") measured with those Black Rings That Must Have A Proper English Name But I Don't Know It. Measurements are shown on photo as well.

Do you guys have any comments on what else I should measure to provide Mikie with enough information to choose right Girvin? Of course I would like to get 857 Girvin as this should match my frame (with exception to material: it will be alu not carbon, but that's ok for me) but in this case it is the size that matters the most ;-)

DSC_0601.JPG

Steer.JPG

16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I'll rummage the shop tomorrow and get you lined up with some options. :thumbsup:

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Be careful running that many spacers under your stem. Most fork manufacturers will tell you not to exceed 30mm of spacers. It appears you have about 41mm.

18. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    Ok, thanks for a hint! I will remember it while rebuilding the front.

19. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    What a great news to start a day! ;-)

20. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    And answering your question from few days back: I'm looking for a complete fork with a stem and with a dumper. I guess I have all the rest (front V-brake with all the stuff, etc). I understand, that dumpers do age and that I will have to do some serious maintenance on any piece I will get. And that's OK, sort of comes with a dream to rebuild a retro bike :)

I guess I'll prefere one of those newer dumper systems, with spring and the gas dumper instead of the original elastomer one (heard they were a very dead end in mtb development). I've also heard of a guy here in PL who specializes in refilling gas dumpers (has all the tools and knowledge to pump nitrogen under high pressure). So, I'm really not affraid of dirty work :)

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  21. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    Now, I remember why I put so many spacers: I'm a tall guy (6' 2") and the new fork changed Proflex geometry a bit, making it lower at the front. I was just doing all I could to lift the bar.
    Anyway, I hope this nasty fork will go away pretty soon!

22. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Really interesting how you twisted the spokes on the front wheel. Does it effect the stiffness of the wheel? I'm guessing more cosmetic than functional.

When i saw your post first thing I thought of was the old ProFlex that Hrz bro-in law has hanging on the wall at the cabin in Big Bear.

Mikie is a good guy, he'll hook you up...
    Ah, no where but iMtbtrails! :)

23. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    The wheel has been installed like this some 15 years ago, when this Proflex has been used for serious racing by Maciek, previous user. This setup works great for me, it is completely non-maintenance and doesn't require ANY geometry corrections after all those years (riding in different scenarios, summer and winter, when it gets to -15C on some days). Maciek tested several setups over all those years and now he is using configuration without twists but with 3 contact points with other spokes and special spoke fixing system for fully straight spokes (no ankle at the hub, like here: http://citec.de/images/ascender.jpg). I assume this has proven to be the siffest setup for him (still racing but now on Spec...).

And my twisted spokes are there to remind me of all attempts to "engineer" the best traction. (Read: retro and cosmetic, without any doubts :)

24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    "Twisted Spokes"...

Danimal likes this.
  25. Danimal

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Name for a new bike shop? Or a punk band.. :geek:

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  26. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yes. :thumbsup:

27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    @Piotr Machowski
    Okay went through my obvious stuff and here is what I came up with.
    An 855/856 and an 857 Girvin Fork. Both have aftermarket Risse Racing Shocks on them. You can buy Elastomers on the internet but I just gotta ask... "why?"
    Through my years of racing on Proflex I found the elastomers to be awesome and miserable at the same time. Very high maintenance to clean and grease them. The engineering that went into the 856 rear shock was mind numbing and yet a pain to work with. So my suggestion is, don't. ha hah! I have matching Risse Racing shocks for the rear for 855, 856, and 857 if you are interested in them as well. The 855 Rear Shock and 856 rear shocks are not compatible. Risse are (were?) made in Oregon by two brothers and I found them to be way better than the trash Noleen's that were the official upgrades. Yeah, I have a few of those and tons of springs if you are interested (don't be interested, they suck!)

So here are some pics:
    This is the 857 Girvin Cross Link Elite Vector Fork with a Risse Racing Air Oil Shock. This would be the version below the carbon fiber version that came on the 957. With this fork you get to choose your steering stem which i like a lot better than the 855/856 which had the stem as a part of the fork system. This is definitely what I suggest for your bike.
    DSCF1294.jpg

DSCF1295.jpg

DSCF1296.jpg
    And! If you act now, I'll through in a perfectly good set of matched Chris King Aheadset! lol! This is the actual set for the above fork. I know because I just pulled the fork and headset off the frame to take the pics.
    DSCF1297.jpg

This is the 855/856 Girvin Fork. Note how the steer stem is part of the fork system. You can buy stems of different length and rise on the internet for this. I have a few but all the same length and rise. It's a great fork but the 857 is better. This also comes with a Risse Racing Shock. The 856 and 857 shocks are not compatible.

DSCF1298.jpg

DSCF1299.jpg

DSCF1300.jpg

DSCF1302.jpg

DSCF1301.jpg

28. Danimal

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    @Mikie now that's service, got to say you rock!!!

@Piotr Machowski you have some good Sh*t here, I say take mikes advice and go with the 857, you are able to use different stems and the Chris king headset is bulletproof. I used mine for 2 bikes and a number of years.

29. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    A) this has been an interesting and informative trip down memory lane. Bikes are awesome!
    B) there used to be a guy in Newport Beach (I think) who would only build twisted spoke wheels.
    C) Welcome to the site Piotr! This is a great site, which this thread illustrates. MTBers are awesome!
    D) Now we have to get Piotr to California for a ride!

30. Piotr Machowski

Name:
    Piotr
    Current Bike:
    Proflex 957
    WOW! What a beautiful piece of engineering! I mean both of those forks. I know, they fall behind new gadgets, but what a nice looking design! ;-)

Nah, wouldn't go for them. I already had this opinion to stay away from elastomers, and now with your advice this is a decision.

My rear system is already upgraded to Noleen (photo attached) and works perfectly. Upgrading it to Risse Racing would be pure caprice, but ... actually this whole upgrade is. ;-) Lets put it on the list.

And I'll obediently follow your wise suggestion, sir! :-D

Acting now! Acting now! ;-)

I guess this is the moment where we PM to agree on conditions on which you would be willing to part with those parts, so to say. :D

DSC_0616.JPG

DSC_0615.JPG