Saturday Spin on Golden Eagle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Got clearance (Clarance) to actually ride my bike from Dr. Bob (THE most amazing Chiropractor on the Planet).

So I was trying to figure out what I wanted to ride and when I read some of the hubbub about Golden Eagle I thought, "No Beaches are going to tell me where I can or can't ride my bike, especially if that's in my backyard!" Yeah, that's what I said... :lol:

So Maddog and I hit it up on Saturday for a cruise at 11:30...

You know . . . it's easy to forget how lucky we are. Like Hill^billy loves his AT, I love my Golden Eagle. You can become complacent and unappreciative of the areas we have to ride. Every time I get on the Golden Eagle trail I re fall in love with it's perfection and what it REALLY has to offer...

The weather was slightly breezy and just ever so slightly on the cool side. Perfect for climbing! Not noticeable on the descent. We parked at the usual spot and both noticed on the way up that a car was parked two curves below with a guy on a mountain bike getting ready to ride. We never saw him on the trail and when we got back and left, his vehicle was still there...a secret trail???

We cruised up the trail. I stopped several times getting all adjusted and walking a couple of places where the sand was starting to get that summer deepness. Instantly we noticed all the new green growth, in particular, some very green vine thing with leaves that look like oak leaves. I thought for a moment it was poison oak but Maddog said it wasn't. But it was everywhere. I liked it!

The trail was remarkably still in good shape, does need some trimming through the briar patch. Upper section three (the one that everybody has trouble finding has some sections where it is completely grown over gasp! :eek: . Not good! We need to ride this much more. Motos had been on the trails and they always miss this section as well. Happy to say I cleaned the upper rock section both ways...yay!

Got to a section near the end of the trail and someone (we assumed the Gestapo) had put up a half azz fence and posted a no motorized vehicle stake, and scattered chainsaw cut brush all over the end of the trail. What the?!?!?

We did our normal section of SOT out and back. The floor under the canopy of pine and oaks were wall to wall low green plans with little white flowers on them. I've never seen the trail so green! Also came upon a couple of deer "doing it"... that's a first... :oops: Sorry guys!

We cruised back to section one to head back down to the vehicles and I switched on the GoPro on the new K-Edge camera mount to give it a try. I thought the results we're jittery. I'm never happy with the video results. The smoothest results no doubt come from a helmet cam but that is so up high that video seems surreal.

Anyway, it was a great ride. No smokey bears, no government pawns or men in black...only a slight twinge in the left knee ;) .

Thanks Maddog for a nice ride. A great way to get back on the steed. Then I went home and slept for 16 hours... What in the world?!?!?

Happy Easter / Resurrection Day! He lives!!!

IMG-20140419-01439.jpg

IMG-20140419-01438.jpg

IMG-20140419-01440.jpg

IMG-20140419-01441.jpg

IMG-20140419-01442.jpg

IMG-20140419-01443.jpg

IMG-20140419-01444.jpg

IMG-20140419-01445.jpg

IMG-20140419-01446.jpg

IMG-20140419-01448.jpg

IMG-20140419-01449.jpg

IMG-20140419-01450.jpg

IMG-20140419-01451.jpg

IMG-20140419-01452.jpg

Cyclo_Cross.png

2. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Yep, GE is a GEM. The officials plan is to limit us to the city looks like. If they do manage to shut GE down and enforce it, LOL , then it will dissapear fast with all the folage that grows there. Pretty sure Mikie won't let that happen.

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You guys are rebels. Haven't been up there since last year.Never get the invite from the secret Antelope Valley society of men and the bikes they love..... :(
    I rode Strawberry peak with a guy with a chainsaw and we removed at least 6 trees and rode the whole loop-and it is still closed too. Ooops! :?

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    After much discourse. I finally figured out the basics of GoPro Studio. Here is a nothing fancy 3:55 minute video of Golden Eagle. Not a great time STRAVA wise, and even went in the grass at one point (I high sided) Ha hah! The goal was to see how well the K-EDGE Go-Big Handlebar Mount works using a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition at 29.97 frames per second. Ehhhh, is my response. To jittery and jerky. The Chesty still wins out...

[vimeo]92990650[/vimeo]