Sat. for chores

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by blixet, Sep 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I often take Sat. off from riding to get some manly house chores out of the way. I had some outdoor stuff at our house along with a roof turbine repair at my MIL's that I have been procrastinating on. I figured while I was at it I could search through all the tools in the garage over there for a bunch of taps and dies that I had seen several years ago.

I probably should have looked at the tool box marked "Taps and Dies" first rather than setting it aside and pulling out 60 yrs worth of stuff :confused: duh! I hadn't held out much hope for a reverse threaded 1.37" BB tap and I wasn't disappointed when I finally found the stuff and everything was too small. Nothing even close. But not a total loss.

In my search, I came across a vintage WWII Italian military Beretta in mint condition that I thought had been long lost and gone. My FIL was part of the invasion of Italy and ended up being the driver for Gen. M. Wayne Clark, commander of the 5th army and leader of the Italian campaign.

As I remember my FIL telling it, one time he was to drive the general out to a cave where a major weapons cache had been discovered. In inspecting the goods, my FIL was allowed by the general to "liberate" one of the unissued handguns, a model 1934 chambered in Corto 9 (aka .380). It was apparently manufactured in 1944 towards the end and never made into service.

I also found a lock box with all the in-laws important documents but haven't had time to search through them to see if there is an authorization to return from Europe with an enemy weapon in there somewhere. That would be pretty cool, but I don't know if he just slipped it into his ditty bag on the sly or what. He passed away a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 95 so that experience is gone with him. Fortunately, he told us stories many times so we have that. DSCN1888.JPG

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is way cool! Thanks so much for the share! :thumbsup:

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Wow... What a find! I'm with Mikie. I love hearing stories like this. Thank you for sharing.

4. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Are you going to shoot it?

5. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Cool find.
    I hope you are aware of all of the silly hoops you have to go through to possess that here in the PRK.

mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  6. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    No.

7. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Cold dead hands.

8. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    He'll be fine, he is not transferring it and it should fall under C&R rules now.

9. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I believe C&R rules only apply to long guns.

@blixet If anyone asks just say that you’ve had the handgun since 1990. You could do a private party transfer then without having to go through the DROS process.

10. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Nice find! I like old firearms. I have a M1 Carbine in my safe that my Dad brought back from Viet Nam. I have actually shot it a couple of times after having it checked out and cleaned by a gunsmith.

11. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Thanks to you guys for pointing out the need to investigate what will be needed for my wife to take possession. Fortunately, the infrequent transfer between parent and child is not too onerous. She will need to obtain the Firearm Safety certificate and then register the transfer with the DOJ online. Until then we will keep it appropriately locked up at her mom's house.

Found this to be informative: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2016.pdf

It's a neat little pistol. Having experience with the Beretta 92, this is so much smaller and lighter. The little magazine looks like it holds .22s rather than the short 9s. And yet it was the mainline sidearm for the Italian military in a world war. Taking it apart to clean and lube should be interesting.

12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Screw the rules. Keep it as a collectors item. Hand it down to other generations. Keep it safe. Enjoy the history.

13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Sounds more like a family Heirloom now. I have a 92F if I want to go to the range...I wouldn't shoot that. Maybe pull the pin and set it aside for safety though.

14. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C

Good for doing the research, would hate see someone caught up by the stupid rules.
    It probably could be shot, most guns still work fine even 100 years old.
    Get it checked if you want to; or just keep it as a family heirloom.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?