SART: Summit to Sea!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cyclotourist, May 14, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Local Redlands rider and all around good guy Russell who helps put on Hellride and Pioneertown with Bike 4 Bender just did an amazo-ride: Basically start as far to the east as the SART goes before it hits wilderness, then ride it complete to Redlands, swap out bikes onto a CX, and ride the paved portion to Newport!
    Check it out: https://www.strava.com/activities/1571628607
    125 miles over 12 hours, and a bunch of those being tough mountain singletrack! He didn't come up Middle Control Rd, either, but stayed on the SART in A.O. His Strava may not be public, but here's his wife's screenshot of it (she races enduro BTW):

Instagram Link

2. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    TFPU and Margaret rocks! Did a couple of hellrides with her. Super nice!

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sounds cool....but you lost me at 75 miles on the road.

herzalot, Luis and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Not something I'd attempt as I'm whipped by the time I get back to Mountain Home Village. Last time we did it, it was 104 degrees at mid0day and we had 3-4 guys run out of water about 5 miles before the bottom. Two of them were SART virgins though and didn't know they should be conserving better. Probably should have climbed up to Angelus Oaks to re-supply with water before continuing on but we didn't climb up that way either.

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Changing bikes is cheating. :stop:

6. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Nice. I've dreamed of doing this since 2014. I'd want to do it on the same bike, though, (Not to take anything away from Russell's ride.)

At the very least, I'd like to link Lower SART, (What most roadies think of as SART,) and Middle SART. Seems perfect for a gravel/adventure/cross/supple bike.

7. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Maybe a hard-tail/rigid MTB with fast tires like Nanoraptors or Thunder Burts... Doable, but you'd be beat up from the mountains. A monstercross would be pretty good choice, but those low drops would tire you out on the mountains as well. No easy way to do it, that's for sure!!!

8. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Kind of like the which-bike-to-take quandary of RSR, with more extreme conditions over longer distance.

Personally, no bike will be comfy doing Hellride plus a fondo, but grinding out a road ride on a hardtail sounds better than Hellride on a cross bike. I think I'd opt for an aggressive front tire, a fast, yet durable rear, and I might get silly with bar ends and TOGS. Carry a pump to crank up the tire pressure after upper SART, and grind away.

Would it be cheating to carry bolt-on Profile aero bars in the pack?

9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Not at all! As long as you're carrying it with you, good to go!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?