SART Solo Ride 6/3/17

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by trmn8er, Jun 3, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Hi Everyone.

We'll seeing as I did not have any takers on my last minute ride invite, I decided to go anyway. I often ride alone but I really enjoy riding with others too. I will say it's nice to be able to meander at your own pace, and it's efficient in that you tend to spend less time. Having said that, my best ride memories are with riders like you guys.

I actually woke early. Ya know, hard to sleep the night before a big ride! I arrived at Angelus Oaks at 0730 as planned, and was in the dirt by 0740. Had a large breakfast and felt pretty good. I decided to take my Fs-i Hard-Tail last minute instead of my Scott Spark. The Spark would be a better overall choice, but has wimpy race tires on it and the Fs-i at least had a 2.2" front, so I thought this the better choice for the super-loose terrain.

I climbed up the Fire Road, and took it past the first drop-in for a little extra credit. Temps were perfect starting off. I had one bottle on the bike, and two small ones in the jersey. Trail was in great shape. The normal loose spots, but the dead-fall was all removed save one spot nearing the first water crossing near the sketchy exposed spot. I made good time and was wishing I had the Spark after a while as it was super rocky and hey I'm over 50 so I'd like a little suspension on longer rides. I do love the climbing of the HT and it's geo is spot on like the newer XC race bikes tend to be a bit slacker (which I like).

I decided to take the Fire Road between Glass and South Fork going out. I usually do this. It got hot quickly, and it was the usual slog up the SF. Lots of campers out! I took a quick break at SF (heavy on the quick) and felt good. As I started heading back, I blew out a snot-rocket right onto my sleeve which is always nice. It was like having company for a while...

I took the single-track between SF and Glass. Anybody here who has ridden this (just about everyone I suspect?) knows how good this section is. Lot's of exposure, and the added bonus of being out there alone somehow intrigues me... I really like the risk for some sick reason. Anyway, it's not that bad. I met a couple riders and chatted a bit between SF and Glass.

The section from Glass to Middle Control was a blast as always. I'd really like to ride this on a trail bike with stiff wheels and some suspension. I imagine it rips! Once I hit Middle Control, I had the dubious honor of getting to climb the 3 miles up to HWY 38 which is always a joy especially when it's hot and I was low on water. I know. What an idiot. Should have brought the Camel-back!

All told, it was a great workout. It was a quick ET for South Fork since I wanted to get home early so not many good pictures. I had good pace until I began to run low on water and just putted up MCR. I'd be happy to do it again. How about Sunday June 11? Who's a definite maybe?

[​IMG]

20170603_141605700_iOS.jpg

20170603_153855838_iOS.jpg

20170603_153922652_iOS.jpg

20170603_153929959_iOS.jpg

20170603_160919286_iOS.jpg

20170603_165345254_iOS.jpg

20170603_180728112_iOS.jpg

20170603_180730481_iOS.jpg

Capture.JPG

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Solo SART is good for the soul. Good job!

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Glad to see you went up and just did it! Might be able to make the 11th... but going camping on the night of ninth, don't know how shot I'll be for a big ride!

4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Badass Mountain biking Ken!

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Solo is worth double credit! :thumbsup:

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    +1. Good work!!!! TFPU.

Ken, I'd love to meet up with you for a run on the 11th. Been trying to get my bro up there; this could be the time. The Weasel would be into it, too. Post it up, brotha!!!!

trmn8er and Mikie like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Wat to go Rockstah! I just didn't have the drive in me to get there. Glad you got out and did it!

trmn8er likes this.
  8. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I am a maybe, see how the ribs feel. Awesome report.

trmn8er likes this.
  9. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Thanks guys I'll post up a new ride tomorrow. Hope at least a few can join in!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?